Need Help - I can not complete the tutorial How to Develop

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
rafaelguarapa
Newly Registered User

Need Help - I can not complete the tutorial How to Develop

Post by rafaelguarapa »

Hello, I am following the tutorial: [wiki]https://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/How_to_Develop[/wiki]

Using Ubuntu Linux 13:10
I followed the entire tutorial, and everything went well until this part below.
That part can not move forward.

Hosting Updates

TMW makes it easy to generate delta zips out of the repository, once it is INITIALLY set up.

It will put Them in ~ / www / updates /, Which may be a symlink to wherever your web server is really serving. Setting up a webserver is not covered here.

Once everything is set up, just run 'make updates' from the server every time dir-data client-data changes. It will do nothing if Appropriate, generate zips complete the first team, and incremental zips afterwards.

Some notes:

You must put news.txt and skeleton resources.xml file (and maybe an empty resources2.txt) in ~ / www / updates / first.
Music updates are never added; They Should be in the skeleton and updated manually if needed.
You definitely want to run one of the scripts analyzer frequently, and remove the old updates.
That part I did not understand correctly what to do, I created this directory, because up till that part did not say that so I had to create creiei ~ / www / updates /
I created the following blank files within the folder updates -> news.txt resources.xml resources2.txt (That was what I did to make)

Is this correct? or meant something else?

Continuing the tutorial I get to this part
Running and Administrating the Server

The TMWAthena is in fact 3 servers:

Which tmwa-login accounts and manages connection to char server.
tmwa char-Which characters manages and connects Them to the map server.
Which manages tmwa-map game content (maps, monsters, items, scripts ...) and Their interaction with characters

Start the servers: Open a terminal and run all the local servers. To stop them, You either close the terminal or type control-C.
Do the commands in the terminal:

cd ~ / tmwAthena / tmwa-data-server /
. / Run-all

Results in the following message

. / Run-all: line 2: realpath: command not found
. / Run-all: line 8: tmwa-map: command not found
. / Run-all: line 6: tmwa-login: command not found
. / Run-all: line 7: tmwa-char: command not found

Because I did not follow the tutorial to the letter.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: Need Help - I can not complete the tutorial How to Devel

Post by o11c »

rafaelguarapa wrote:Hello, I am following the tutorial: https://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/How_to_Develop
You must put news.txt and skeleton resources.xml file (and maybe an empty resources2.txt) in ~ / www / updates / first.
That part I did not understand correctly what to do, I created this directory, because up till that part did not say that so I had to create creiei ~ / www / updates /
I created the following blank files within the folder updates -> news.txt resources.xml resources2.txt (That was what I did to make)

Is this correct? or meant something else?
Setting up and update server is *not* something that most developers need to care about; it is only needed for people running public servers. The amount of setup needed for a public server is far more than could fit in one wiki page and would detract from what is already there.

When I set up the test server, I seeded an empty resources2.txt, symlinked news.txt from the data dir, and copied resources.xml from our canonical copy (http://tmwdata.org/updates/resources.xml), but stripping out the non-music lines.

If you ran 'make updates' with an empty resources.xml, that would cause permanent problems, but if you were the kind of person able to run a public server, you would be expected to be able to solve it easily.
rafaelguarapa wrote: . / Run-all: line 2: realpath: command not found
This is a shortcoming in the instructions. I have fixed the instructions; you must install the 'realpath' package in addition to the ones that were previously mentioned.
. / Run-all: line 8: tmwa-map: command not found
. / Run-all: line 6: tmwa-login: command not found
. / Run-all: line 7: tmwa-char: command not found
These are either because you failed to run "make install", or ran ./configure with a prefix whose bindir is not in $PATH. Every system under the sun (but not every system under the moon) ships with a configuration that includes /usr/local/bin (the default if no prefix is specified) in $PATH, and Ubuntu's bash configuration includes ~/bin/ (the result of ./configure --user). Hm, if you didn't have ~/bin/ before, you may need to log out and log in again (*) ...

(*) technically it's possible not to, but if you're the kind of person who cares (or who knows how to avoid it), you probably had a ~/bin already.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
rafaelguarapa
Newly Registered User

Post by rafaelguarapa »

Thanks for the help , I'm new to studying in tmw so I have documentation available on the wiki for the project .

Did you install realpath
I copied all files to the folder update [ / b ] of the official directory ( [ url ] http://tmwdata.org/updates [ / url ] )

I have a ~ / bin folder ( created successfully with the executable files inside)

It would be interesting to add to the wiki teaching how to download updates which link and using the wget command to download all the updates, would greatly help those ta getting to know the project
Attachments
bin.png
bin.png (156.55 KiB) Viewed 2563 times
Graf Koks
Newly Registered User

Post by Graf Koks »

hey! I guess it is easier to learn a while on the running project before going "all in" with an own server :alt-6:. tmwa is hard to learn all on your own and all in one day. Regarding the wiki: I think tmw wiki writers don't have enough time to provide that kind of support for other projects.
rafaelguarapa
Newly Registered User

Post by rafaelguarapa »

Graf Koks wrote:hey! I guess it is easier to learn a while on the running project before going "all in" with an own server :alt-6:. tmwa is hard to learn all on your own and all in one day. Regarding the wiki: I think tmw wiki writers don't have enough time to provide that kind of support for other projects.
Figured it out, so to create all video documentation class, have a draft free courses in Brazil, and now to create a course on creating your MMORPG2D step-by-step explaining every detail, especially the part of pixel art using GIMP.

I'm still creating editing classes until the end of January will be in the air.

http://www.youtube.com/tvguarapa