How to change data directory

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
inpo
Newly Registered User

How to change data directory

Post by inpo »

I installed manaplus from source, its default data directory for sprites, maps, xml, etc. are placed in $HOME/.local/share/mana, how do i change it to somewhere else (e.g. PREFIX/share/mana) ?
:alt-0:
Ablu
Manasource
Manasource

Re: How to change data directory

Post by Ablu »

Hi,

In an optimal world the clients would rely on the xdg environment variables... However at least mana does not do that. So I guess manaplus does not either. So all you can do is search for .local/share in the code and change it.

Regards,
Ablu
Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

inpo wrote:I installed manaplus from source, its default data directory for sprites, maps, xml, etc. are placed in $HOME/.local/share/mana, how do i change it to somewhere else (e.g. PREFIX/share/mana) ?
exist different ways.
1. use command line parameters to change dirs.
switch --localdata-dir or -L for logs, updates etc.
switch --config-dir or -C for config dirs.

2. you can place portable.xml in where manaplus binary located
Example is here: https://gitorious.org/manaplus/manaplus ... rtable.xml
inpo
Newly Registered User

Post by inpo »

thx guys, with portable.xml this problem has gone
straelyn
Novice
Novice

Post by straelyn »

What I do is use git to clone tmw's github repo (https://github.com/themanaworld/tmwa-client-data), then when I startup manaplus I tell it to use that instead, like this: manaplus -u -d [directory]

The -u tells it not to update, the -d lets you specify a data dir manually. To do updates you simply go to that dir and execute 'git pull' and it'll check for new stuff. So, that's one way to do it, but not necessarily the easiest way :wink:
end of line.