[Bug] Wrong config path and none default servers

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
Necro
Newly Registered User

[Bug] Wrong config path and none default servers

Post by Necro »

Version:
ManaPlus client ManaPlus 1.3.10.27 Linux, SDL1.2 (Current package at Fedora Repository)

Steps to reproduce:
Open manaplus

Actual behavior:
The list of servers it is empty and displays an error to loading this data. So, checked the application with the terminal and find out this:

Code: Select all

$> manaplus 
[03:14:30.58] Generating config dir: /home/USER//.config/mana/mana
[03:14:30.58] init 1
[03:14:30.58] init 2
[03:14:30.59] init 3
[03:14:30.59] configPath: /home/USER//.config/mana/mana/config.xml
[03:14:30.59] Initializing resource manager...
[03:14:30.59] Warning: Failed to load features.xml: Path not found
[03:14:30.59] Error loading features.xml
[03:14:30.59] init 2
[03:14:30.59] Couldn't open configuration file: features.xml

Expected behavior
The config.xml should load and find the list of servers

Solution:
Remove the doble slash at the path. The requiered files exist and has the correct XML format
deepthought
Warrior
Warrior

Re: [Bug] Wrong config path and none default servers

Post by deepthought »

Update the manaplus client and you can add the servers manually. Check in wiki.
I'm as cool and comforting as the porcelain tiles on your bathroom floor during an evening of vomiting.
SDN
Novice
Novice

Post by SDN »

I don't know about the config file path, but I think I know what's the cause of error retrieving server list. Apparently manaplus client is trying to download sever list from wrong url:

[10:33:07.22] Xml file validation error
[10:33:07.22] Downloading: http://www.evolonline.org/serverlist.xml
[10:33:07.89] Xml file validation error
[10:48:10.84] Canceling download: http://www.evolonline.org/serverlist.xml
[10:48:10.84] Starting download: http://www.evolonline.org/serverlist.xml
[10:48:10.84] selected url: http://www.evolonline.org/serverlist.xml
[10:48:10.84] Downloading: http://www.evolonline.org/serverlist.xml
[10:48:16.57] Xml file validation error
[10:48:16.57] Downloading: http://www.evolonline.org/serverlist.xml
[10:48:17.89] Error retreiving server list: 
The client is suppose to download from http://www.manaplus.org/serverlist.xml instead of evolonline.org

To bad i still can't find a way to resolve this problem atm. I still can't find a working way to change the default url for server list, yet. :alt-4:
Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

Double slash is not issue. Any OS can replace it to single slash.

Not sure how you get evolonline.org for servers list. This present only in evol branding. But in linux it not used.
SDN
Novice
Novice

Post by SDN »

I'm using "Other Linux Binaries" version of the client.
Necro
Newly Registered User

Post by Necro »

4144 wrote:Double slash is not issue. Any OS can replace it to single slash.

Not sure how you get evolonline.org for servers list. This present only in evol branding. But in linux it not used.
In fact, any developer must know that the OS can manage the file path according to the structure. In Windows, the path between folders are specified by double backslash. Otherwise, Linux uses a single slash, but each OS must define the path correctly to the format. So, double slash can be a programming problem that can be solved by changing the path. Plus, if this path does not correspond to an absolute path in the OS, always give an error exception that it's caught by Manaplus. Doesn't matter which programming language or OS you use, you must define correctly the absolute path of any file that you require to load.
Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

Necro wrote:

In fact, any developer must know that the OS can manage the file path according to the structure. In Windows, the path between folders are specified by double backslash. Otherwise, Linux uses a single slash, but each OS must define the path correctly to the format. So, double slash can be a programming problem that can be solved by changing the path. Plus, if this path does not correspond to an absolute path in the OS, always give an error exception that it's caught by Manaplus. Doesn't matter which programming language or OS you use, you must define correctly the absolute path of any file that you require to load.
Sorry but in windows path separator is ONE slash. Probably you confused sources code and actual paths. Also in windows path separator is back and forward slash at same time. Also not always need define absolute paths. Moreover if you using virtual file system, better never use absolute paths if you dont want disable it.
Necro
Newly Registered User

Post by Necro »

4144 wrote:
Necro wrote:

Sorry but in windows path separator is ONE slash. Probably you confused sources code and actual paths. Also in windows path separator is back and forward slash at same time. Also not always need define absolute paths. Moreover if you using virtual file system, better never use absolute paths if you dont want disable it.

http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/a/absopath.htm

I hope this can help you to detect the problem. Plus, if you see the path that it's requesting Manaplus it's an absolute path, so, who's wrong? :wink:

Edit: and yes, you see one slash, but in code open path, you must add a second back slash, otherwise can't detect the begin and the end of a directory

http://www.avajava.com/tutorials/lesson ... -path.html
Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

Necro wrote:http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/a/absopath.htm

I hope this can help you to detect the problem. Plus, if you see the path that it's requesting Manaplus it's an absolute path, so, who's wrong? :wink:

Edit: and yes, you see one slash, but in code open path, you must add a second back slash, otherwise can't detect the begin and the end of a directory

I still not undestand what you want? you asked how paths worked i already said how it works in windows. you gaving some useless links with windows screen short, but in this report linux...
Also paths here offtopic. If you think what some where path broken, fill free report it in new topic.
Necro
Newly Registered User

Post by Necro »

4144 wrote:
Necro wrote:http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/a/absopath.htm

I still not undestand what you want? you asked how paths worked i already said how it works in windows. you gaving some useless links with windows screen short, but in this report linux...
Also paths here offtopic. If you think what some where path broken, fill free report it in new topic.
4144, I add windows links because sometimes the paths might get confusing at the point of the bug. Once again, check the error message in the first post. Plus, I'm verified that the files exist and have the XML structure, the bug it's associated with the file path that Manaplus it's opening and paths are not offtopic, if and only if, this files doesn't exist.

Once again, check the paths that you are requesting in code...

Error:
Spoiler:
[03:14:30.58] Generating config dir: /home/USER//.config/mana/mana
[03:14:30.58] init 1
[03:14:30.58] init 2
[03:14:30.59] init 3
[03:14:30.59] configPath: /home/USER//.config/mana/mana/config.xml
Current path:
config dir: /home/USER/.config/mana/mana
If you check this, you'll notice the unnecesary and wrong path, that it's caught as an code Exception. I don't know witch programming language you use to build Manaplus, but you should check exactly where the code it's generating this absolute path.

Grettings.

PD: 4144, isn't necessary to get mad, just it's required to understand what the problem it's being caused
Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

I said this again here all paths right. If you never used any paths, please read some docs. Or try to use it in code.
Paths offtopic in this topic. If you want flood, you can create another topic for this.
Necro
Newly Registered User

Post by Necro »

I'll ignore what 4144 said, why?

Because this is a bug track report, not a discussion what works and what does not. Because this is a post to help the community to have full support in linux operating systems (Fedora and derivates in this case). Because no one it's saying that Manaplus has problems in other OS or anything like that.

The idea it's to backtrack this bug as best as possible, and 4144 doesn't said which OS it's using, Manaplus version it's testing or even giving an idea of where this bug appears.

4144, I appreciate you help, but that's not the right way to solve software problems, and as a developer you must know the importance of bugs that encounters and the solution for similar or future bugs.

Recommendation from a professional developer, solve problems, not justify them ;)

By the way, I found the whole bug and programming error that this bug means.

This output was generated in other computer that I have with Ubuntu 14.10, Manaplus 1.4

[05:41:16.19] Generating config dir: /home/USER//.config/mana/mana
[05:41:16.31] init 1
[05:41:16.31] init 2
[05:41:16.31] init 3
[05:41:16.32] configPath: /home/USER//.config/mana/mana/config.xml
[05:41:16.33] Initializing resource manager...
[05:41:16.33] Warning: Failed to load features.xml: Path not found
[05:41:16.33] Error loading features.xml
[05:41:16.33] init 2
[05:41:16.33] Couldn't open configuration file: features.xml
[05:41:16.33] init 4
[05:41:16.35] Configuration::write() writing configuration...
[05:41:16.36] bindtextdomain: /usr/share/locale
[05:41:16.36] locale: es_ES.UTF-8
And Manaplus works perfectly, once again, I don't know which programming language you used to build Manaplus and I apologize for my ignorance. But, this kind of outputs must show if really represents a problem to use any program, so I recommend you change that.

Plus, the bug it's because the Fedora version it's 1.3.X, without option to update or adding that repo that you created for opensuse distribution. So, the another recommendation it's to build an updated package for rpm distributions or update the Manaplus download page and advice that the current version in Fedora repository isn't working.

Feel free to close this bug and again, consider what people are writting here, without getting mad and sizing your words

Necro
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

We are not going to argue about a double forward slash. no sane operating system should have a problem with that anymore.
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
Necro
Newly Registered User

Post by Necro »

wushin wrote:We are not going to argue about a double forward slash. no sane operating system should have a problem with that anymore.
wushin, right now I'm not arguing and even about the path structure, I solved the bug and this post can lock it.

The solution: already gave it in my last post, update Fedora package in their repository or update the Manaplus download page and advice that Manaplus from repository does not work.

And about the outputs, it's just don't output information that doesn't help to backtrack a bug.

Necro
Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

What bug? here was only what somehow in config.xml was wrong url for downloading servers list. Probably some old client versions wrote this url to config.xml. This option was removed from config file already.

Was no any other bugs. Double slash is not bug and was never it.

For rpm distro you can update from here https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... 4/manaplus
If your OpenSuse version missing here, this mean it already lost support by devs or very new and build server still not include it.