[bug] Healing items don't work when server is laggy.

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
Travolta
Novice
Novice

[bug] Healing items don't work when server is laggy.

Post by Travolta »

Dear TMW server developers,

During illia quest, in the final battle, healing items (chicken legs and large healing potions) might not work in time. I noticed it happens when server is laggy. I can eat chicken legs one after another, but it has no effect. Then in about 20-30 secones (!) my health starts to regenerate. Spells like #inma work, but I can't #inma myself, and #lum sucks for self-healing.

It's cool to have high vitality. I think it's the coolest stat ever. 90 vitality + isis heart = recovering health from 100 to 1000 in less than a second. I had this bug for a few weeks now, and I thought of it more like a "feature", another level of difficulcy. But now it started to be really annoying. It's not that kind of server lag when everythinig just freezes (mobs and you) for few seconds, and when it unfreezes, you are dead. No, the server just "decides" now and then that healing shouldn't work for you.

Please fix this bug, if you can. I'll help with testing.
SriNitayanda
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: [bug] Healing items don't work when server is laggy.

Post by SriNitayanda »

Are you sure its not just healing delay? when you inma others you cant heal yourself and others cant heal you either for a couple of seconds. if so its not a bug its just regular healing delay.
In control of tmw media (aka @broadcast) and tmw financial sector (aka GMstorage) | also a member of tmw Bilderberg Group (aka Phoenix Council guild)
2013-11/26/#General.log:[15:00] veryape: meh, guild is down, we cant conspire at all
Travolta
Novice
Novice

Post by Travolta »

SriNitayanda wrote:Are you sure its not just healing delay? when you inma others you cant heal yourself and others cant heal you either for a couple of seconds. if so its not a bug its just regular healing delay.
It's different.
Rubikon_
Novice
Novice

Post by Rubikon_ »

The problem about healing items ( CHICKEN LEGS) happened to me too, but only on Ilia Quest in the end at Luvia.

Regards.
SDN
Novice
Novice

Post by SDN »

Sometimes I'm had this problem too in Parua cave. I thought it was just delays, tho it's quite annoying when it happen. XD
Rill
Novice
Novice

Post by Rill »

Travolta wrote:During illia quest, in the final battle, healing items (chicken legs and large healing potions) might not work in time. I noticed it happens when server is laggy.
Rubikon wrote:The problem about healing items ( CHICKEN LEGS) happened to me too, but only on Ilia Quest in the end at Luvia.
Today, I experienced the same thing during the final battle in the Illia Quest.
pateame

Post by pateame »

I solved it with a diet, eating a green apple after each chicken leg I used.
gumi
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by gumi »

that is so weird :shock:
I thought it was just some kind of lag but it's clearly not
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

I noticed this a long time ago, it seems to be a bigger problem the more the item you eat heal you. Large healing potions are dangerous as hell to eat for me, because it could take 20 secs before i start regenerating health. If i have those problems now i just mix my chicken legs up with water.

But yeah, there seems to be some kind of bug.
Characters: veryape / Captain Dunce / Elvara / veryapeGM
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Not bug its rate limiting the packets, IMO. I've yet to check this.
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
Travolta
Novice
Novice

Post by Travolta »

wushin wrote:Not bug its rate limiting the packets, IMO. I've yet to check this.
Did you reproduce it? Did you ever try? Because it's pretty annoying.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

wushin wrote:I've yet to check this.
Or yet be able to reproduce it even when we've have 50+ online. Trying to reproduce it on test is painful. It would be great if someone could produce of short video of what happens.

https://github.com/wushin/tmwa/commit/3 ... 3df0d05dd8

You can see in this single commit what TMWA does via item heal. In magic-v3 it's going to be replaced by script. It should work dangerous better that way where I expect to hear more people complaining about blazing through chicken legs during Illia. As in magic-v3, MaxHp/Hp/MaxSp/Sp are exposed and values can be set directly from script instead of having to call internal heal functions which then alter char-internals.

Considering the circumstances surrounding the bug, IMO, it's more likely a problem in some network level rate limiter or packet in TMWA/M+. As the scenario in my mind is Illia, need chicken leg badly, jam hotkey a few dozen panicked times, and bam nothing happens. I might be wrong though.

So yeah, items/itemheals/heals is on our minds.
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
Travolta
Novice
Novice

Post by Travolta »

wushin wrote: Considering the circumstances surrounding the bug, IMO, it's more likely a problem in some network level rate limiter or packet in TMWA/M+. As the scenario in my mind is Illia, need chicken leg badly, jam hotkey a few dozen panicked times, and bam nothing happens. I might be wrong though.
The item is consumed, it disappears from the inventory, just doesn't make the required healing. Also (I think) there is a healing particle around the player. So my guess is that it's not a network lag. The issue is more likely to happen with more players online. The healing might start working after random amount of time. But also as soon as Luvia is defeated, the HP skyrockets (if I previously eat chicken legs). Also once all warriors died, so for few minutes I was running away from Luvia, trying to kill her alone. And surprisingly, healing worked as it should.

Can't promise a video, because recording it would add even more lags. Too bad that TMWA doesn't have some sort of "server-side recording" of illia fights.
gumi
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by gumi »

You could do something even better than recording a video: pcap (or manaplus's own log file, if you prefer)
this way we know what is truly going on

@wushin I think I know why you can't reproduce and me neither: as soon as GM > 0 there is no packet limitations