Jumping/teleporting monsters

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
Proton
Peon
Peon

Jumping/teleporting monsters

Post by Proton »

I'm sure everybody has noticed, that monsters seam to occasionally jump/teleport. I couldn't find a thread about it though.

This seams to happen around corners. They physically touch the corner/obstacle, and then instantly move at a position that still touches the corner/obstacle but been closer to you. They move to get closer to you, but they use a "worm hole" through the obstacle. I don't think this is due to lag, i haven't noticed anything like this on a straight line.

A variant of this, if there's some wall/rock/obstacle between you and the monster, it will instantly jump a good deal of distance to get closer to you, but still touching the obstacle.

I've seen this happen with slimes around obstacle (very noticeable, because they are normally slow.). Jumping skeletons in graveyard( the whole square of trees and graves), jumping snakes in the snake caves (a cross the rock in a tunnel doing a U turn)....
Knight
Knight

Re: Jumping/teleporting monsters

Post by 4144 »

This is design issue. Server send to client monster moving from pos1 to pos2. After server using own logic to build monster path, and client using own logic for path.
As result near places like you described, both this paths is different. After monster end of moving it update own position. And client teleport it.
For fix this issue server may send whole monster path, but with this implementation server devs look like had issues.