Map Transition Freeze Bug

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
Pawneeboy
Novice
Novice

Map Transition Freeze Bug

Post by Pawneeboy »

Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS, Manaplus 1.6.5.21, Intel HD 2500 (sound card...i don't remember) Desktop PC
Ok the problem is, when you go across (or down) a map at the halfway (or transition) point movement freezes for a second or two, usually movement just lags a little at these points but now it is a complete freeze...it has never done that in previous versions (that i recall). One more thing i just noticed, if you push ahead as it freezes (instead of stopping) you will have object lag (mobs, people, trees, etc will load up super slow).
Knight
Knight

Re: Map Transition Freeze Bug

Post by 4144 »

Pawneeboy wrote:Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS, Manaplus 1.6.5.21, Intel HD 2500 (sound card...i don't remember) Desktop PC
Ok the problem is, when you go across (or down) a map at the halfway (or transition) point movement freezes for a second or two, usually movement just lags a little at these points but now it is a complete freeze...it has never done that in previous versions (that i recall). One more thing i just noticed, if you push ahead as it freezes (instead of stopping) you will have object lag (mobs, people, trees, etc will load up super slow).
I think here no issues. But you can change in settings how it happend.
At first while you moving from map to map, it freeze for second for build big image from all tilesets if it was not created before. If disable this mode, map drawing itself can be bit slow (for disable in settings in performance / different options / enable texture atlases. Need disable this option)

Second while after you walk to map or to some new part of map, slow loading of mobs/players. This happens for not totally freeze client but split slow operations in time. (for disable in settings in performance / enable delayed images load. Disable this option

Another thing, probably if you have bad performance, you can switch drawing mode from OpenGL to software.
This can change in Video tab.

After each option change better restart client.
Pawneeboy
Novice
Novice

Post by Pawneeboy »

Did everything you asked...it actually got worse not only am i freezing i'm jumping several paces forward. :alt-2:

Update: I have tried a few other tweaks...no cigar. The only thing i've done that changed was i updated the client yesterday, and that is when i started having this problem, before then i didn't have this problem...so if you put 2 and 2 together you get that the problem is with the client itself. Could it be that the new client version is slightly out of sync with the server?
Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

No,
Here nothing changed for long time.
Probably you enabled some wrong mode or not updated client for some years.
Default settings may changed after this time.
Pawneeboy
Novice
Novice

Post by Pawneeboy »

Another Update: Its not mapping...i think. There's some stuff that keeps popping up in the debug tab i think that is causing the lag (of course i can't make heads or tails of that kind of thing...i don't know much about programming). When i get back on i'll copy the stuff that shows up in the debug tab and whisper you. :D

Update: Fixed, disabled Logging in game and if it is enabled disable Log Unimplimented Packets (for me it was disabled by default). 4144 could you post a server wide message on what to do to mitigate this problem? (omatt has the same problem and i'm sure others do to) :D
Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

1 - cat /etc/debian_version: stretch/sid
1a - hostnamectl:
Static hostname: ________
Icon name: computer-server
Chassis: server
Machine ID: ________________________________
Boot ID: _______________________________
Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux stretch/sid
Kernel: Linux 4.5.0-2-amd64
Architecture: x86-64

2 - Manaplus version: 1.6.6.4

3 - Radeon HD5450, but additional info here:
3a - DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer":
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CAICOS (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.8.0)
3b - lsmod | grep radeon:
radeon 1486848 5
ttm 94208 1 radeon
drm_kms_helper 143360 1 radeon
drm 356352 8 ttm,drm_kms_helper,radeon
i2c_algo_bit 16384 1 radeon
3b - xrandr --listproviders:
Providers: number : 1
Provider 0: id: 0x56 cap: 0xf, Source Output, Sink Output, Source Offload, Sink Offload crtcs: 4 outputs: 3 associated providers: 0 name:CAICOS @ pci:0000:01:00.0 (Notice no mention of Radeon)

I have to mention that I used to have an Nvidia card that seemed to worked better, but I stiil had issues loading new NPC and Players and Mobs. The demon spawn in Illia was abhorrent due to this freezing issue. I think I have tried all video option combos now. The latest was to disable all GL settings.. all acceleration and all effects... basically... everything I can find relating to my video card. I switched to 'software' as well after trying many OpenGL options. My maps still freeze. I am aware that there are issues relating to Radeon/Linux now which could be part of my problem. , but Queen Bee runs WinXP and has also had this freezing issue for a while.She's using Radeon 4600 series. I thought she may have had a 'crazy moves' issue, but no.. It is happening to me more often now too. I need not even change maps... just new things seem to cause the freeze more than anything.... sometimes, it just seems random.
I should also mention that this is not the only program that I have problems with, but that I have always had some problems regardless of OS or hardware types. I have also restarted client after every video option change.

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak

Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

You show output from command: DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer":
But can you show from this? : glxinfo | grep "OpenGL"
Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

glxinfo | grep "OpenGL"
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CAICOS (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.8.0)
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 11.2.2
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.2
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 11.2.2
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00
OpenGL ES profile extensions:

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak

Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

Try resize manaplus window to smaller size, if it not helper, issue probably not in GPU. But in some other place
Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

Yeah, I've already done that too, but I am still looking. I know something is not right with my video. I know it shows the driver as 6K+ models of Radeon, but I have a 5450. Also I can't get hardware visualization working in virtualbox. I keep hunting it down, but no resolve yet. The windows machine is another story.