TMW 0.22

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

TMW 0.22

Post by Dr Wahl »

Not exactly sure this is the best place to post this, but I was interested in the progress of the Mac package for .22.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

This is exactly the right place for this question.

I am not sure how the official package is going, but on the wiki you can find some hints for compiling the sourcecode on your own:
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/MacOSX_port
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

ok, i will give the wiki a look through and see what i can find. I have never created a package for mac, but maybe if i am successful with compiling, maybe i will try to make a .dmg for the download page. That is unless some one beats me to it....

p.s. no promises that anything will come from this experiment...
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Contact nanonyme on IRC, he figured out how to do it to a certain degree and got stuck. There's no point in doing it all from scratch, use what he learned in the process.
This message used to be meaningful.
aaale
Peon
Peon

Post by aaale »

I was able to compile 0.0.21.1 in Tiger PPC without opengl support.
If you want i can help you too and try together to get new 0.0.22 works.
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

i would love to be able to play .22 on my mac, but i am just so- busy with my schooling these days that i dont have time to try to compile everything. If you are capable, there are others that would benefit from creating a mac package. As soon as things start too calm down at school, I will give a stab at creating a mac package, or maybe a package that would work with DarwinPorts, or Fink.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

aaale wrote:I was able to compile 0.0.21.1 in Tiger PPC without opengl support.
If you want i can help you too and try together to get new 0.0.22 works.
Rotonen wrote:The game compiles and runs just fine on a Mac, btw. You just have to download and compile all the dependencies yourself and do the same for the game too. And have a few (easily googlable, at least to me) extra flags thrown at ./configure a few times. (For example our logging uses pascal strings on macs, for which gcc requires a flag.)

I'd write a howto on this if I believed that the average Mac users should be doing this on their Mac. Take a look at the other "average computer users" trying to compile their clients (or even servers) on the other tech help sections and guess twice why there is no howto on this one.

The problem lies in doing an .app. That would be the type of release that Mac people expect, one that "simply works". Apple is not allowing statical linking (due to it being unstable in their eyes?) and instead they have these .apps, which require "Frameworks". For some of our dependencies there are AFAIK no "Frameworks". We just do not have enough experienced Mac developers onboard. Feel welcome to help.

This post was according to my best knowledge and I admit straight away that I could be wrong on a multitude of aspects. (Excluding the fact that we are runnable on a Mac at the moment.)

If you can prove me wrong, please do so.
This message used to be meaningful.