Linux: Seg. fault after lvl. up,

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
aleph
Peon
Peon

Linux: Seg. fault after lvl. up,

Post by aleph »

I got, and now get a sag. fault after I leveled 31, and picked my stats. The program just crashed, and now when I login with that character, tmw-0.0.23 seg. faults. If you tell me what to run to get more debug info then I will. My arch is i386 running 2.6.20-r4 gentoo.

If you need more output let me know what to do, I don't have much skills in debugging, though, I can make my way around the command line..

oh, yeah. my other character works fine..

cheers
silene
Peon
Peon

Post by silene »

First ensure you have a debug version of your tmw binary. It always amounts to adding the "-g" option to the command-line of the compiler. If your binary weights more than 3MB, it is most certainly already present. If not and if you don't find how to set it, please describe how you compiled tmw? (configure? emerge? other?)

Once you have a debug binary, run "gdb path/to/tmw", then type "run", wait for the crash, type "bt full", and post the resulting backtrace.

Even better, if you have installed valgrind and your computer is not too slow, run "valgrind path/to/tmw 2> valgrind.log", wait for the crash, and post the (content of the) "valgrind.log" file here.
aleph
Peon
Peon

Post by aleph »

thanks for the info, though it is working fine now? though if it happens again, i will do that..

though looking at the ebuild, since i used emerge, i don't see a debug flag in the ebuild.. i will install gdm, and the file /usr/games/bin/tmw is only 636kb

cflags for GCC are : -Os -mtune=pentium-m -pipe

so i don't know, it doesn't seem like it has debug built in, that is with the information you gave me...

i will take a further look into this ebuild thing later

cheers