Problem with the game window.... help please?

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
twilight
Peon
Peon

Problem with the game window.... help please?

Post by twilight »

The game will not let me change the resolution of the game window. I'm not sure what the problem is.
My desktop resolution is set to[/color] 1280x1024 and I want the game window to be a little bit bigger on the screen than what it is right now. I don't want to have to take the desktop resolution down a couple of notches though.
I've tryed to change the resolution from the setup menu in the game but it wont even let me click on any of them.
I think it's set for 800x600. I want it set to 1024x768.
I don't want fullscreen either. 1024x768 resolution for the game (not my desktop).
How do I change it? Any tips or suggestions?
I have OpenGL disabled (in-game setup menu: unchecked "OpenGL") because my computer can't handle it (lags too very much (it makes slow motion seem like greased lightning when OpenGL is enabled)). Is that the reason I can't change the in-game resolution? If yes, then how can I work around it? If no, then what is the problem?
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Unfortunately you can't change resolution yet. The resolution listbox is there for future development, let's hope to make it working soon.
twilight
Peon
Peon

Post by twilight »

Oh okay. Thanks for the speedy reply. :P This would have driven me crazy trying to fix what I though was a problem. lol

Hopefully the resolution list is up and running soon. :D
Characters:
Twilight - Main
lvl 5x Hybrid Close/Range
Geshtar - Alt
lvl 3x Pure Range
Peacemaker
Novice
Novice

Post by Peacemaker »

ElvenProgrammer wrote:Unfortunately you can't change resolution yet. The resolution listbox is there for future development, let's hope to make it working soon.
I added two lines (screenheight & screenweight) to my config.xml about two year ago and still can play at higher resolutions (windowed). Indeed, the login screen looks a bit confusing (because every pixel information out of 800x600 is red from of an old screen buffer...) but the game is fully playable in high-res. :)
Peacemaker: Level 58 - STR 60+ / AGI 30 / VIT 36 / INT 5 / DEX 20 / LUK 5 - wiped because of inactivity... :(
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Other screen resolutions than 800x600 are currently problematic (the overlay effect in the cave, for example, assumes a screen resolution of 800x600 and isn't centered properly when a different resolution is used).

But how about giving an alternative rendering mode for users of high end systems with high screen resolutions that runs the whole screen through HQ2x after drawing the scene and thus doubles the resolution to 1600x1200? Would look like that:
http://www.crushnet.org/imageshack/hq2x.png
(the GUI could of course be excluded from this operation).

The poor mens way would be to just resize the screen using bilinear filtering. I believe that SDL even supports this out of the box. But I don't really want my pixel art to be distorted by bilinear filtering.
Last edited by Crush on 31 Aug 2007, 19:51, edited 1 time in total.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Peacemaker
Novice
Novice

Post by Peacemaker »

Crush wrote:The poor mens way would be to just resize the screen using bilinear filtering. I believe that SDL even supports this out of the box. But I don't really want my pixel art to be distorted by bilinear filtering.
How about just resizing the overlay effects (and the Login-Background) during runtime? (the sandstorm and cloud effect are working)

Currently I'm very happy to have a better overview, because it makes it easier to escape from annoying player who wants free items... :D
Peacemaker: Level 58 - STR 60+ / AGI 30 / VIT 36 / INT 5 / DEX 20 / LUK 5 - wiped because of inactivity... :(
leeor_net
Novice
Novice

Post by leeor_net »

The other problem with this, however, is that objects on screen disappear when they are out of what I guess I could call the 'view frustum'. This appears to happen when the screen resolution is out of a typical 4:3 ratio (e.g., 640x480, 800x600, 1024x764) and in a much different resolution ration of 16:10 (e.g., 1440x900 or, hi-def). I've had this problem with my HD monitor so I just leave it in a 4:3 ratio and leave it in Windowed mode.

Any plans to update TMW to correct for HD resolutions?\
- Leeor

"Oh, no thanks. I ate a boulder on the way in." - Shrek
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The reason why things outside a specific range aren't showed is because the server doesn't send information about them. This is a behavior we are also using on TMWServ. Sending things that are further away would give people with larger screen resolutions an unfair advantage and would use unnecessary bandwith when users use the default resolution.

But to give people with very high screen resolution the ability to use this for TMW we could implement the ability to scale the game screen after rendering. Using bilinear scaling would offend all pixel artists. But scaling the whole screen to 1600x1200 using HQ2x might be interesting.

Until then I would suggest you to use the "blind" area at the right and left side of your screen for GUI windows.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.