unrelated but maybe can help with lil linux question?

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
Hannie
Peon
Peon

unrelated but maybe can help with lil linux question?

Post by Hannie »

hi

i have big files on this computer i want to give to neighbor but have no blank dvd's. i can connect to their wireless network from here though but it isn't like with windows where i can just see their shared folder and put stuff there cause i have fedora here. anyone know way to give them files still?

tks Hannie
kr0n05
Novice
Novice

Post by kr0n05 »

This is a very simple problem to solve. Get yourself a ripway account. http://ripway.com and upload your files to there. Then when you want to send your friend a file, link them to the file's link and it will initiate a download. If you do not like this method, you can use the old fashioned method of sending e-mail attachments to each other.

Good Luck. :D

Ice Monster Development Status: FROZEN
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

...or you could use FTP (you set up an FTP server on your box and give your neighbor your IP address)

...or you could use an instant messenger protocol (i sometimes do this on windows when both boxes in a lan have internet access but fail to auto-detect each other in the network environment)

...or you could use Samba which allows to access or create windows network shares with a linux system
Last edited by Crush on 12 Sep 2007, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
blueberry
Novice
Novice

Post by blueberry »

Hello!

This could be made very easily with a Samba Client for your OS. Google Samba or smb-client for Fedora, install it and set it up. After that you can access any shared folder, simply with your web browser:)

cheerz Blue
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

when the other box is a linux box too (or got netcat for windows installed) you can do it the hacker way:

On the receiving system you type

Code: Select all

nc -l -p 1234 > foo.txt
Then you type on the sending system

Code: Select all

nc ***.***.***.*** 1234 < foo.txt
(replace the stars with the IP address of the receiving system) and the file foo.txt is transfered.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Hannie
Peon
Peon

Post by Hannie »

super ...tyvm all...i'll try these and see which i get working

Hannie