No sound/music and problem with fans

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
LighScan
Peon
Peon

No sound/music and problem with fans

Post by LighScan »

EDIT: All problems are solved! Fan-problem solved by lowering the fps and music has been quickly added by trapdoor. Many thanks for the replies and the quick help!

I have 2 problems:

1. Music and Sound
When playing the game, I do not have background music. I don't have any kind of sound either, such as when attacking an enemy, no sound will be played. (Problem Solved!)
I first thought that the sounds will be added in the game on later stage, but when I installed TMW under Windows on my desktop-pc, I suddenly had music and sound. This kinda surprised me. :) Back on my 5-day old MacBook under OSX, I didn't succeeded in my attempts to enable the sound/music.

Are there more people who are having problems with this? Is there a solution available, or is this problem know?

2. Fan-problem
I can live with the sound issue, but this issue is really annoying. While playing the game, the fans of my MacBook increase in speed and start making lots of noise. I never have this problem with other apps, or even with other games. If this is a bug, it will probably solved in the near future. However, is this isn't a bug, and it's something about with my MacBook, I would like to know this of course. :)
When I minimize the game, the fans decrease in speed and stop making noise pretty quickly. So this issue only happens when actually playing the game, or when the game isn't running in the background.

Again,
Are there more people who are having problems with this? Is there a solution available, or is this problem know?

Thanks for those who read this and even more thanks to those who answer [and try to help].

EDIT: Problem with the sound is solved. This sound plays under Windows standard, but under OS X it doesn't. However, you can enable this in the game itself. Problem with the background music is not solved yet though.
Last edited by LighScan on 04 Jan 2008, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.
trapdoor
Novice
Novice

Post by trapdoor »

I have not been able to get music working reliably with the mac version, so it currently does not come with the music.

You can download the music files and add them to your data folder and see if it works.

I find it very hard to believe that other games do not cause the fans to turn on, have you tried WoW?

I have a Powerbook G4, and the fans are always on (but extremely quiet) when I play any game.

--
trapdoor
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

You can still try lowering the fps limit to see if it spare some cpu cycles.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

On my 1st generation Core2 MacBook, limiting the fps to 30 did the trick for the fan noise. Experiment with it.
This message used to be meaningful.
LighScan
Peon
Peon

Post by LighScan »

I find it very hard to believe that other games do not cause the fans to turn on, have you tried WoW?
Not WoW, since that's a game which don't quite intrests me. :) But I've tried several smaller games, such as Tracktor Beam. The fans are on, of course, but aren't making noise.

@ the others: I'll try to experience with the fps. Though I'm kinda carefull with that, since the MacBook is new and expensive. :)
I have not been able to get music working reliably with the mac version, so it currently does not come with the music.
Oh well, that's not exactly the end of the world. I only wanted to know if others have this problem too, and I guess so. :) Will the game come with the music in the near past, or are there currently more important things to do on the "to-do-list"? :)
You can download the music files and add them to your data folder and see if it works.
Where exactly can I find those files? On SourceForge?
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

LighScan wrote:Oh well, that's not exactly the end of the world. I only wanted to know if others have this problem too, and I guess so. :) Will the game come with the music in the near past, or are there currently more important things to do on the "to-do-list"? :)
I'm pretty sure trapdoor had more important things to do in the near past. :-P
LighScan wrote:
Where exactly can I find those files? On SourceForge?
Yes, see our file downloads page: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=106790
trapdoor
Novice
Novice

Post by trapdoor »

LighScan wrote: Will the game come with the music in the near past, or are there currently more important things to do on the "to-do-list"? :)
I'm working on it as much as possible, but unfortunately that thing called life sometimes gets in the way ;)

I hope to have a version with music by the end of the weekend.

--
trapdoor
LighScan
Peon
Peon

Post by LighScan »

Woops, sorry... Take all the time you need of course. :D

The fans aren't making noise anymore, I lowered the FPS to 15 and they are quiet now. However, once the Fps is 20, the fans starts making noise again.
Hmm, is this really normal? :roll: Just want to know this. :)

Oh, and before I forget, thanks for all the replies & help. :wink:

EDIT: All problems are solved! Fan-problem solved by lowering the fps and music has been quickly added by trapdoor. Many thanks for the replies and the quick help!