Characters under one account all disappeared

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
Sertraline
Novice
Novice

Characters under one account all disappeared

Post by Sertraline »

Someone asked me what the difference between server.themanaworld.org and testing.themanaworld.org was. I didn't know so I decided to try it out and see.

I registered for testing.themanaworld.org with the same account and password I used for server.themanaworld.org, and it allowed me to without saying the name was taken. Then I logged into the character server and there was nothing there, as though it were a different server. I then created a character and logged in to find that testing.themanaworld.org is exactly the same as server.themanaworld.org.

So, when I changed the server address back, my characters were STILL gone. I did not delete them. I can't create new characters with the names of the characters that disappeared. My password doesn't seem to have been phished. Also, I have not been able to reproduce this bug, oddly. It seems that my characters simply disappeared when I was allowed to register the same account twice.

I believe the characters still exist somewhere because, again, I can't create new characters with the names of those that disappeared.

Their names are:
Sertraline
Newbie Helper [Sert]

Thanks
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Characters under one account all disappeared

Post by Crush »

That sounds very odd. Are you sure you are not just misspelling your account name? Note that account names are CaSeSeNsItIvE.

By the way: server.themanaworld.org and testing.themanaworld.org resolve to the same IP address on which both eAthena and TMWServ (when it is online) are running. They are even using the same port number. The only difference is that eAthena listens to TCP and TMWServ to UDP. So the only thing which determines to which server you are connecting is the client you are using.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Crush wrote:They are even using the same port number.
Actually they're not, this should be quite impossible. eAthena is listening on 6901 while tmwserv is on 9601 (regarding login/account server).

@Sertraline As Crush pointed out you just registered a new account with a similar name which could differ only by the case of one letter. Just be careful when typing in your username.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

ElvenProgrammer wrote:Actually they're not, this should be quite impossible.
Oh, it is possible. TCP and UDP are completely separated protocols. You can have one application using TCP port 1234 and one using UDP port 1234.
eAthena is listening on 6901 while tmwserv is on 9601 (regarding login/account server).
What? Let me check... Oh, yes indeed. I never realized that number mixup before.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Sertraline
Novice
Novice

Post by Sertraline »

Well then perhaps the registration was completely unrelated and I did register by a different case.

That said, I am 100% certain that the characters that are missing are under one account which is being typed in correctly case-sensitive and all. The characters are completely gone but I believe they still exist on the server because I can't make new characters with their names.

Please humor me, check and see if there is a Sertraline character at level 63 or so. If so, it's probably mine, but I have no way of accessing it any more.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Crush wrote:
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Actually they're not, this should be quite impossible.
Oh, it is possible. TCP and UDP are completely separated protocols. You can have one application using TCP port 1234 and one using UDP port 1234.
Ah sure, sorry I concentrated only on the "same port" part. :P

Sertraline: please PM me your username and I'll try to search more infos about it.

EDIT: as we suspected and suggested you were using a different case username. As far as I can see you registered 7 accounts with minor variations, I guess it's quite easy to get confused in this case.