Unable to connect to server: Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy), svn 3984

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
Sanga
Novice
Novice

Unable to connect to server: Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy), svn 3984

Post by Sanga »

I had problems with the .deb package for Ubuntu Gutsy (It crashes intermittently), so I grabbed the latest from SVN and built the program.

configure went fine (had to install a few packages, and build enet from source, but nothing unusual), and make went without any errors.

The problem is that now when I start "tmw", I get to the "Choose your Mana World server" dialog box (the only option is "animesites.de" at port 9601), click the "ok", and then the program gets stuck in the "connecting" dialog box. The status bar keeps filling to the end and resetting, but nothing ever happens (note that the program is *not* hung - I can "cancel" out without any problem. It just doesn't connect).

It's also sucking up a significant amount of CPU while this is happening (about 38%), which doesn't make any sense if it's just waiting on a network connection.

Obviously, something is wrong. But I have not clue where to start troubleshooting this.

Please note that I'm a fairly proficient C/Unix programmer - suggestions beyond the "newbie" level are more than welcome.
Peon
Peon

Re: Unable to connect to server: Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy), svn 3984

Post by Newbie »

Hello.
That server is down.
You can try playing at testing.themanaworld.org.

As you probably guessed from the server name it's meant only for testing the new client (https://themanaworld.svn.sourceforge.ne ... tmw/trunk/).
If you want to actually play the game I suggest that you get the old client from https://themanaworld.svn.sourceforge.ne ... nches/0.0/
and compile & install again.
Sanga
Novice
Novice

Post by Sanga »

Thanks for the info - switching to the testing server does get me connected (I suspected it was something simple...)
GonzoDark
Warrior
Warrior

Post by GonzoDark »

server.themanaworld.org can also do the trick
IchigoBlack (86) a.k.a GonzoDark (80) || HolyManaClan

Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

server.themanaworld.org and testing.themanaworld.org are the same server. The only difference is that 0.0.x and 0.1 use different protocols (TCP vs UDP) so there isn't any overlap.
Peon
Peon

Post by Newbie »

jaxad0127 wrote:server.themanaworld.org and testing.themanaworld.org are the same server. The only difference is that 0.0.x and 0.1 use different protocols (TCP vs UDP) so there isn't any overlap.
..and different port.