TMW Server Problems

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Re: TMW Server Problems

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Do you just have the executables there? Or did you copy all of the server data there too?
Imago3d
Peon
Peon

Post by Imago3d »

The executables are in there yes. Should the directories be merged? I have two directories in my root.

tmwserver and server-data

In tmwserver I have:

char-server
doc
log
map-server
online.txt
conf
eathena-monitor
login-server
misc
save
data
eathena.sh
Makefile
npc
src
db
ladmin
Makefile-optimized
online.html

In server-data I have
changelog.txt
data
eathena-monitor.c
login-server
npc
char-server
db
eathena.sh
map-server
save
conf
eathena-monitor
log
news.txt
tools

I'm just wondering why it's saying
LAN test of LAN IP of the char-server: LAN test (result): LAN source.
Or is that normal? Is there anything that would block outside requests in the configurations?
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Remove the conf, data, db, and npc folders from tmwserver and copy them over from server-data, then redo the conf files.

My personal setup is like this:
~/SVN/eathena
~/SVN/server-data
~/SVN/server-data/login-server (soft link to exe in eathena)
~/SVN/server-data/char-server (soft link to exe in eathena)
~/SVN/server-data/map-server (soft link to exe in eathena)
~/tmwserver (soft link to server-data)

It works perfectly.
Imago3d
Peon
Peon

Post by Imago3d »

I did like you said and put a symlink in the eathena directory pointing to the server-data directory, but I still can't connect. I don't know if there's a setting that got missed or something, but it seems like it wants to call to 127.0.0.1 even though I changed all the IP's in the files except for the lan_config file. Not sure why it's not working for me. However if I run it on my local computer I can connect to the server but no one else can. :(
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Ok. The char and map conf files each have two IPs, the second ones needs to be the public ones. The first are for finding the other servers.

Are you trying to connect to it from the same network or another network? Are those ports open in your firewall? If NAT is being used, are they being forwarded properly by the router?

It looks like LAN clients (clients on the same LAN as the server) maybe blocked if the lan conf file isn't setup correctly.
Imago3d
Peon
Peon

Post by Imago3d »

The server I'm trying to set up is on a VPS with no firewall and I've run FPS games and other stuff from it and never had to port forward. (I never put a firewall on it since it's only for my own testing and once in a while gaming stuff.)

The other computer I tried it on is a windows box and yeah I can get others from the same lan to connect but no one outside our network can so that probably is a port forwarding problem. But I don't want to run it on the Windows box since I don't want to leave that computer on for playing.

How would the lan_conf have to be set up? We tried it with the ips and then the 255.0.0.0 for the subnet mask but it still didn't work. We also commented it out all together.

:( Frustrating that it works for one system and not the other.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

The LAN conf only controls things for the same LAN that the servers are running on. Everything else uses the values int he other files, which need to be the external IPs/hostnames. I assume this network connects out through a NAT. If so, put the NAT server's IP in the other files and have it forward the necessary ports.
Imago3d
Peon
Peon

Post by Imago3d »

I can't find the Wan port. This is a VPS so I don't know if they have it hooked in to any routers or anything since I can't physically get to that computer. But I changed the IP's and changed the subnet and everything to mine following the ifconfig output. But it still won't let me connect to it. Very odd. I never had problems with ports not opening or anything since I don't run a firewall on my VPS just because I don't really care if it's secure or not. LOL! Anyhow, still got nothing. I went to the eathena board to see if they could help too, because I'm really not sure why this works in windows but not for linux.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

If it works for Windows, it works for Linux.

We're using a very old and hacked up eA, so you might not get much help from them.
Imago3d
Peon
Peon

Post by Imago3d »

That's just the thing I can get it to work for Windows but only for people on my network. Anyone outside the network can't get in. And for Linux since I'm not physically on the network it probably works if you're on the network, but if you're off it then it doesn't. So, my problem is how to let people in that aren't on the network.

So, the most recent eathena wouldn't work for TMW? :(
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Not really, too many things have changed. How did you access the server before for other games?
Imago3d
Peon
Peon

Post by Imago3d »

Well, I had stendhal setup on the server for a little while to play around with. And all I did was set it up and then connected to it. For UT2004 I just ran it and connected to the IP. So, I'm not sure why TMW keeps saying Lan Source but if I put the domain in it'll say WAN source and then shut down because there's a misconfiguration somewhere. I'm at a loss. I've been playing with this for about a week and a half before coming here to ask for help with it. :(
Imago3d
Peon
Peon

Post by Imago3d »

Well after weeks of headaches and trying to get this working with no success from Linux and only me and my lan being able to connect to it from Windows. I've just given up on this. Too many headaches trying to set it up.

I'd have to say trying to set up TMW server is definately not for the faint of heart unless you're on windows then it's a little easier if you want to play it on a lan.

Thanks for trying to help but really I see it as a lost cause and uninstalled it. LOL! Definately something I'd be interested in eventually if I could get it installed but for now there's not a lot of documentation about setting up the IP's and everything for Linux servers.
trapdoor
Novice
Novice

Post by trapdoor »

The problem is you arent setting up a TMW server, you are setting up an eAthena server.

TMW's server isnt ready yet, when it is, you could try running that.

--
trapdoor
Imago3d
Peon
Peon

Post by Imago3d »

I got the server from the SVN.

http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... 28Linux.29

I installed it got it started but it always said LAN SOURCE instead of I guess Wan Source. But couldn't connect to it. On Windows I could but anyone outside the network couldn't. So, yeah it was I guess as jaxad0127 put it "using a very old and hacked up eA". But I was under the assumption that the client should've been able to connect to it since it could on Windows. But it seems like a lot of gaming developments are moving away from Linux Dis's and to Windows. (Heaven only knows why since I love the ease of Linux opposed to Windows. Since I use Linux for servers and Windows at home. But'll probably switch as soon as more support comes out for my older programs.)

Anyhow, thanks for the heads up. I guess I'll have to wait until then. Wish I would've known sooner that the server wouldn't have worked. Would've saved me a couple weeks worth of bashing my head on the desk. LOL!