Beginers Guide to upgrading your Client to 0.27 in Windows

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
ikms
Peon
Peon

Beginers Guide to upgrading your Client to 0.27 in Windows

Post by ikms »

Hi All,

This is a step by step guide for those people who would like to try and compile a 0.27 (eathena) client.

To upgrade your Client to 0.27 you will need
2 tools "GIT" and "Codeblocks".

You can google both of these packages and they are Free.

Step 1: Obtaining GIT
The GIT Google search should have bought you to http://git.or.cz/
approximately half way down that page you will see a section entitled "Binaries", which contain the pre-compiled packages.

At this point I chose myssysgit
http://code.google.com/p/mysysgit/downloads/list
and on the next link I chose
Git-1.5.6.1-preview20080701.exe

You can download and install this package on your desktop - when it is finished just close it for now.

Step 2: Obtaining CODEBLOCKS
The CODEBLOCKS Google search should have bought you to http://www.codeblocks.org/
on the left hand side of the screen under the MAIN heading click on DOWNLOADS. You will see a section entitled "Download the binary release", which contain the pre-compiled packages.

At this point I chose
codeblocks-8.02mingw-setup.exe http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads/5

You can download and install this package on your desktop - when it is finished just close it for now

Step 3 - Obtaining the necessary Libraries and DLL's required to compile the 0.27 client

Here I am refering too,
http:://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5356

you will need to click on the link http://www.crushnet.org/tmw/tmw_libs.zip

Thank You CRUSH for providing this !

Step 4: Obtaing the Source Files from the GIT repository.

Here I am refering too,
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Git_Repository

At this point you will need to launch the GIT package that you downloaded and installed earlier.

At the GIT prompt enter
git clone git://gitorious.org/tmw/eathena.git

This will begin by creating a directory called "eathena" on your HDD, in my case it was under c:/documents and settings/my-name/eathena/ if you receive an error at this point, about the source system not being ready, just wait and retry again in a few minutes.

When completed close GIT

Congratulations - You are basically ready to compile the client

Step 5 : At this point I have found the process varies greatly between people. (depending on where they have chose to download the above files)

But a perfect walkthrough would be
Launch Codeblocks
File,
Open
(Under the eathena directory you downloaded from git you will find a file called 'tmw.cbp' select this.)
Build
Build and Run

If everything goes perfectly you will be running TMW using the new 0.27 client.

However I have found that things were not that easy.
(I received 44 errors at this point myself)

The things that I needed to do to fix the compiling problem were:
1. Copy all the DLL's found under the /tmw libs/dll directory to the /windows/system/ directory
2. In codeblocks under 'Project', 'Build Options', Search directories', 'compiler' I needed to add most of the tmw libs directories one by one - most likely this could have been fixed by a simple pathing command in windows

Step 6: Worst case scenerio: I havent found anything I have done has ever caused me any problem, except crashing codeblocks a few times. .

In codeblocks 'log & others' box left click and 'copy contents to the clipboard'

Goto http://pastebin.com and paste in your text
clearly showing what errors are you are getting.
Give your text a name and how long you would like to keep the post for - I usually select a day.

You can contact me via the game, and there may be others willing to assist you on the #themanaworld on IRC.

Good Luck and enjoy the game

Regards
ikms
Lavia
Peon
Peon

Re: Beginers Guide to upgrading your Client to 0.27 in Windows

Post by Lavia »

only it's possible make a Game server with eAthena?
What's the matter with tmwserv?

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

eAthena is the current software the official server runs on. It works with the 0.x client branch.

TMWServ is the new server software which is still in development and will provide gameplay which is extremely different from the game running on eAthena. It works with the 0.1.x client.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
trapdoor
Novice
Novice

Post by trapdoor »

I do not recommend people copy the DLLs into their windows/system directory, this is totally unneccessary, they just need to be in the same working directory as the exe, which may involve needing to change the working directory when launching codeblocks, as normally the DLLs will be in the same directory as the exe, and by default compiler launch with a working directory of . but the binary file is in a different directory.

--
trapdoor
Lavia
Peon
Peon

Post by Lavia »

Crush wrote:eAthena is the current software the official server runs on. It works with the 0.x client branch.

TMWServ is the new server software which is still in development and will provide gameplay which is extremely different from the game running on eAthena. It works with the 0.1.x client.
I don't understand. The developers are current developing two clients and two servers?
If I want start a project, what I would use?

Thanks
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Lavia wrote:
Crush wrote:eAthena is the current software the official server runs on. It works with the 0.x client branch.

I don't understand. The developers are current developing two clients and two servers?

Thanks
We're doing two versions of the same client, our own server, and maintaining another server at the moment.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Lavia wrote:I don't understand. The developers are current developing two clients and two servers?
The client branches are very similar. I would not really call them separate projects.

eAthena, the current server, is not made by us. We want to abandon it on the long run because it is not flexible enough to create the game we want. But there is nevertheless a group of developers who keep modifying eAthena to improve the game.

TMWServ is made by us from scratch. For more information read http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... =12&t=2461
When you want to create you own server I would recommend you to use eAthena and 0.0.x.

TMWServ is not mature enough to be used for real gameplay, at the moment.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
ikms
Peon
Peon

Post by ikms »

Here is the cbp file that was requested
Attachments
tmw.rar
(2.11 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
bigglesworth
Novice
Novice

Post by bigglesworth »

ikms,

Thank you for giving me a beginning. I believe I've successfully compiled the eathena client on windows xp service pack 3.

Let's see if I can remember how. :)

I downloaded & installed 'Git-1.6.0.2-preview20080923.exe' and 'codeblocks-8.02mingw-setup.exe'.

I opened a command prompt window in my home directory. At the command prompt:

Code: Select all

git clone git://gitorious.org/tmw/eathena.git
This created the eathena folder. I moved that to the root of my disk, C:\

I downloaded and unzipped 'tmw_libs.zip' from Crush.

I moved the 'tmw libs' folder into 'C:\eathena'.

In the 'C:\eathena' folder is a file 'tmw.cbp'. Double click on that to launch CodeBlocks.

Now, in CodeBlocks, go to Project->Build Options...->Search Directories->Compiler.

These are the 5 paths i used. I added them as 'relative'.
  • ..\..\..\..\..\..\mingw\include\SDL
    tmw libs\include
    tmw libs\include\libxm2
    tmw libs\include\libxml2\libxml
    tmw libs\include\SDL
In the same dialog box, click on the Linker tab (ie Project->Build Options...->Search Directories->Linker).

Add this path as 'relative'.
  • tmw libs\lib
Now, click OK and return to the main CodeBlocks window, do Build->Build.

This should create the 'tmw.exe' under the 'C:\eathena' folder.

Note: at this step, I recieved 1 warning that told me it was safe to ignore the warning. :)

Now, under 'C:\eathena\tmw libs\dll', copy all of the dll's up into 'C:\eathena'.

Double click on 'tmw.exe' in the 'C:\eathena' folder to launch TMW.

I've attached my final 'tmw.cbp' file for more information. This is an .xml file. The 'search directories' look like they begin at line 68.

/epic
Attachments
tmw.zip
This is my end-result tmw.cbp CodeBlocks project file. It is an .xml file.
(2.25 KiB) Downloaded 88 times