WERE IS THE MAC OSX CONFIG FILE??

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
atombone80
Peon
Peon

WERE IS THE MAC OSX CONFIG FILE??

Post by atombone80 »

ok first off im not a retard, im an avid osx user and cant for the life of me find this damn config file. ive searched the mana world.app with no avail and i searched my entire harddrive for files such as config.xml, *tmw*, and have examined ALL of the xml files on this computer.. nothing .. am i missing something here? thanks in advance for the help
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: WERE IS THE MAC OSX CONFIG FILE??

Post by Rotonen »

This message used to be meaningful.
Jenni
Peon
Peon

Post by Jenni »

atombone80 wrote:ok first off im not a retard, im an avid osx user and cant for the life of me find this damn config file. ive searched the mana world.app with no avail and i searched my entire harddrive for files such as config.xml, *tmw*, and have examined ALL of the xml files on this computer.. nothing .. am i missing something here? thanks in advance for the help
Funny thing about Mac OS X... you can search all you want, but the computer will not search all the directories in the hard drive. Do a search for the "passwd" file that is found in the /private/etc directory. Try searching for all the unix command line programs, config files, or libraries by name, and you will see that they will not be listed. That is because apple has made them invisible unless you are in the command line.

The folder you are looking for is not in one of those invisible folders though. Starting at the Hard Drive level, go to /Users/<your name here>/Library/Application Support/The Mana World/config.xml.

That is where you will find the Config file. If you are going to edit it, make sure that you do not save it while the program is running because it will overwrite the file when you quit the program because it is trying to reflect any changes made to the in game settings you have made.

Something frustrating that I have discovered is the "security" that Apple has put into the GUI search of the hard drive with 10.5.x. Under 10.4.x I am able to search the library folders as well as the rest of the visible hard drive. Unfortunately under 10.5.x i am not able to search the any of the library folders so that is most likely why you cannot find the config.xml file. Just manually go to the above folder and you will be fine.

--Jenni
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Locate on command line - finds everything on the filesystem.

Finds even fresh files after a database update (sudo updatedb, normally run periodically).

Also it is not sensible for Spotlight to find everything on the system, it would be far too confusing for the average gui-oriented user. I like sensible weighted results when searching for user data (also searches for example from within documents).

You can also somewhat influence from where Spotlight builds its search database from.
This message used to be meaningful.