0.0.29 Chat Errors

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
Arilious
Novice
Novice

0.0.29 Chat Errors

Post by Arilious »

The following are chat errors I have noticed, some of which have been addressed elsewhere, but I figured a collected place is also good.

Party Window Issues
  1. Lag: The party chat tab does have some lag issues. As stated in other posts, one may type something, and what would normally appear almost instantaneously in every-day conversation, takes 3-5 seconds or longer to appear to members of the party.
  2. Permanent: I find this to be an annoyance, bordering on error, but it would be nice if the party tab did not show unless you were a member of a party. Keeping it open simply for /help purposes is stupid. Simply include party help in the normal /help command, or do /help party.
Player "Que" Windows
  1. Blank: If someone forgets to type a name with the command, a blank nameless tab opens. This is really an easy fix to implement.
  2. Non-Existent Players: Anyone may type any name after the chat, even if this player does not exist anywhere. The next issue addresses a fix.
  3. Offline Players: Tabs may be opened for players who are offline. A simple boolean check (perhaps mimicking the whisper check) could easily be implemented prior to the client creating a tab to make sure the user is online. Also do this to prevent non-existent character tabs.
Annoyances
  • Closing: Using /close is fine, but perhaps a right-click option for "close" would also be useful for some people.
  • Commands Not Working: If a command is currently not implemented in party-forming, do not show it in the /help response. This way, people will not try to use it only to find it doesn't work. Small things, but helpful and avoids people complaining about these things.
Overall, it was a good release, but I believe it was rushed due to excitement, with several things overlooked, and many things incomplete which could really be done utilizing code already there.
Balthazaar
Novice
Novice

Re: 0.0.29 Chat Errors

Post by Balthazaar »

Figured I'd throw this issue in here too. It's not really a bug so much as it is also an annoyance.

When you receive a whisper in 0.0.29 it automatically selects the whisper tab to show you the message. This is kind of a problem because if you are not paying attention and currently typing a message to be sent in the general tab and hit enter. Well you guessed it the message gets sent to the user that sent you the whisper instead of to the people you wanted it to go to in the general tab.

Can't the tab just flash instead of automatically going to the whisper tab to show you the message?

Anyways i've caught myself sending messages to people whispering to me because of this. Hopefully you can understand what I'm saying I tried to ask another DEV about this but I don't think they understood what I was talking about.
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

Arilious wrote:Overall, it was a good release, but I believe it was rushed due to excitement, with several things overlooked, and many things incomplete which could really be done utilizing code already there.
.29 was not really rushed, and not due to excitement. A lot of these issues are here because of lack of people testing / reporting issues on the git version.

This release was also much bigger then it should had been, and was delayed many time.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Balthazaar wrote:Figured I'd throw this issue in here too. It's not really a bug so much as it is also an annoyance.

When you receive a whisper in 0.0.29 it automatically selects the whisper tab to show you the message. This is kind of a problem because if you are not paying attention and currently typing a message to be sent in the general tab and hit enter. Well you guessed it the message gets sent to the user that sent you the whisper instead of to the people you wanted it to go to in the general tab.

Can't the tab just flash instead of automatically going to the whisper tab to show you the message?

Anyways i've caught myself sending messages to people whispering to me because of this. Hopefully you can understand what I'm saying I tried to ask another DEV about this but I don't think they understood what I was talking about.
That was fixed before release. The chat window will only switch tabs automatically when you use /query (/q).
Arilious wrote:Party Window Issues
  1. Lag: The party chat tab does have some lag issues. As stated in other posts, one may type something, and what would normally appear almost instantaneously in every-day conversation, takes 3-5 seconds or longer to appear to members of the party.
  2. Permanent: I find this to be an annoyance, bordering on error, but it would be nice if the party tab did not show unless you were a member of a party. Keeping it open simply for /help purposes is stupid. Simply include party help in the normal /help command, or do /help party.
  1. Good solutions to that will be difficult. Party chat is sent through the char-server so all map-servers (and hence all party members) receive it. A short circuit for members on the same map-server as the originating player would help.
  2. I'd rather not. Maybe allow creation on the main chat tab, but that's it.
Arilious wrote:Player "Que" Windows
  1. Blank: If someone forgets to type a name with the command, a blank nameless tab opens. This is really an easy fix to implement.
  2. Non-Existent Players: Anyone may type any name after the chat, even if this player does not exist anywhere. The next issue addresses a fix.
  3. Offline Players: Tabs may be opened for players who are offline. A simple boolean check (perhaps mimicking the whisper check) could easily be implemented prior to the client creating a tab to make sure the user is online. Also do this to prevent non-existent character tabs.
  1. Will fix.
  2. (read below)
  3. That check is purely server side. We could hack the server more so we can ask if a specific player is online, but that has other problems (like bots checking for GMs).
Arilious wrote:Annoyances
  • Closing: Using /close is fine, but perhaps a right-click option for "close" would also be useful for some people.
  • Commands Not Working: If a command is currently not implemented in party-forming, do not show it in the /help response. This way, people will not try to use it only to find it doesn't work. Small things, but helpful and avoids people complaining about these things.
  1. Hmm...might be possible.
  2. We'll see. I do want to add the ability to invite a player based on name.
Turmfalke
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Turmfalke »

jaxad0127 wrote: [*]That check is purely server side. We could hack the server more so we can ask if a specific player is online, but that has other problems (like bots checking for GMs).
for me, as a bot, that would be first place to look: http://server.themanaworld.org/gm/gm.log.2009-05
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Turmfalke wrote:
jaxad0127 wrote: [*]That check is purely server side. We could hack the server more so we can ask if a specific player is online, but that has other problems (like bots checking for GMs).
for me, as a bot, that would be first place to look: http://server.themanaworld.org/gm/gm.log.2009-05
We're looking at making those buffered (ie a little time before actions are made publicly available).