Development of Manasource and anything else related to the Mana Project.
#135597 by ravenshade
Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:34 pm
Right,

Take 2. This is a recycled thread.

It tells me to start the account server.... being wholly new to this... I...do the following.

Code: Select allsudo chmod a+x accountserver.cbp
./accountserver.cbp

Output:
Code: Select all./accountserver.cbp: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
./accountserver.cbp: line 1: `<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>'

HTML, CSS, PHP sure, I'll debug that all day. XML whole new kettle o'fish. What am I doing wrong?

...while I'm pondering this....

if I press: make again. I get the following.

Built target enet
Built target manaserv-account
Built target manaserv-game

...yet I can't can either of them anywhere o.O (which is why I'm foolishly trying to execute the code::blocks project files haahaha..haaaaa~..*failwhale*. After a quick view of the README, it seems that two binary files are not being produced...

0210hrs Good news, I found the binaries. Why are they in the src file and are they the ones I'm supposed to be using, because they don't like not having a config file and I don't want to screw things up by shoving one in there >.>;

http://doc.manasource.org/server_configuration

Says nothing about going into the src folder....just noticed that ManaServ is supposedly 'experimental' after doing a quick search. Yeah... I get that much but come on it's two years O_o; Nuts...this is made for a windows server obviously...
#135629 by Crush
Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:44 am
Moved from Linux/Unix Support to Manasource Development
#135630 by Bjørn
Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:54 am
It seems you skipped the "make install" step, which would install the server binaries on your system to the prefix you have previously told cmake about (defaulting to /usr/local). Maybe not surprising if you're trying to follow documentation that hasn't been updated yet since the install step was only recently made to work properly.

In any case, the Mana server is indeed still in alpha stage. If you want to run a server you currently have to be prepared to also get into server development a little, talk to us on IRC in #mana, etc. We're working to get it in a beta stage as well as to improve the documentation, but it's a slow process.

All of the current Mana server developers use Linux, btw. We just try to keep the Code::Blocks file up to date for people who want to compile it on Windows.
#135631 by Ablu
Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:55 am
ravenshade wrote:It tells me to start the account server.... being wholly new to this... I...do the following.

Code: Select allsudo chmod a+x accountserver.cbp
./accountserver.cbp

You try to run the windows codeblocks project. Of course this is no exectuable and won't work. On linux you do not even need them
You are supposed to install the server and run manaserv-account and manaserv-game.

ravenshade wrote:...yet I can't can either of them anywhere o.O (which is why I'm foolishly trying to execute the code::blocks project files haahaha..haaaaa~..*failwhale*. After a quick view of the README, it seems that two binary files are not being produced...

The README simply does not mention the install step.
ravenshade wrote:0210hrs Good news, I found the binaries. Why are they in the src file and are they the ones I'm supposed to be using, because they don't like not having a config file and I don't want to screw things up by shoving one in there >.>;

http://doc.manasource.org/server_configuration

You need to run the server in a working dir which has the manaserv.xml in it (or you run it with --config /path/to/manaserv.xml)

ravenshade wrote:Says nothing about going into the src folder....just noticed that ManaServ is supposedly 'experimental' after doing a quick search. Yeah... I get that much but come on it's two years O_o; Nuts...this is made for a windows server obviously...

Well manaserv is still experimental... But it is quite usuable already. You only need to know how it works. Feel free to come to IRC if you need help.

About Windows:
No Idea which gives you the impression that it is for windows only. This server is designed to be platform independently. However saying that it is made for windows server is kind of silly. We devs do not even use windows. So the server usually ends up needing fixing to work on windows again after major changes since nobody tests it there.

If you need support you can also come to #mana on freenode IRC. We are quite active there.

Regards and please get rid of negative tone. It is not really helpful,
Ablu

EDIT: TOOO slow :alt-4: