Development of Manasource and anything else related to the Mana Project.
#136746 by Nick Stinger
Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:01 pm
There are so many server build/deploy scripts posted here and there that another one may not be needed. Even so, I wrote this script specifically to help me with testing my own code in a clean environment. Hopefully someone else will find it useful to making their own script, or perhaps someone will share a solution that makes these scripts obsolete! The script is not finished yet. I plan to add ManaWeb, an update server, and certify it for use in other Ubuntu configurations.

https://github.com/nickstinger/manasource-config
#136751 by Bjørn
Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:32 am
While this script may indeed be helpful to others, it is important to note that we can't offer support based on problems anybody might have with them. Also, manaserv will change and we will not be able to help keeping such scripts up to date.

However, there are several ways of making the setup easier that could be done as part of the manaserv project. For example:

* Packaging the Mana server for Ubuntu so 'apt-get install manaserv' would do the trick of installing manaserv and upgrades can be done easily as well.
* Adding install rules for the example data, so that by default manaserv can be running with that, mostly for testing.
* Adding a script (or multiple scripts) for helping with initial database setup.
* Changing manaserv to make database type a run-time option rather than a compile-time option (basically a requirement for proper packaging, since otherwise we'd need to package different versions).
#136772 by Nick Stinger
Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:23 am
I think an install package like the mana-daily client would be a great idea to help encourage more wide-spread use of ManaServ. Since the server is still in alpha (or pre-alpha), the package could sit in a private repository someplace ready for someone to install. Combined with better tooling in general, ManaSource would become a more compelling solution for anyone thinking about making an MMORPG.

The above script, however, would not be made obsolete by these improvements. As part of my personal tool-chest, I will use this script to clone and build any changes I've made to the original code. I can then test those changes in an isolated environment. Changes such as library dependencies, schema migrations, configuration data, anything! I also want to install custom game data, so I should include a separate variable for cloning that too.

Its an idea, but also a work-in-progress. I don't have so much free time right now, so my focus is on just learning the tools until my kids are a little older.