Artist

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Snarl
Peon
Peon

Artist

Post by Snarl »

Hi! Do you guys have any small projects that I can work on? I'm pretty new at drawing in pixels, however, I am experienced in working with vector, raster, and 3d graphics. I'm not at the level where I want to take on a whole tileset, but I would love to help out with some icons or objects or whatnot. I've attached a pic of my few experimental pixel projects. Also, you can view my portfolio at http://jmtodaro.com to see my other non-pixel art projects. Thanks!
Attachments
jmtexample.gif
jmtexample.gif (2.45 KiB) Viewed 1476 times
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Re: Artist

Post by meway »

Your style of pixel art looks great however it is only showing an apparent light source and not enough detail for being so big. We want to make the graphics here look as much 3D-like as possible without using 3D renders as far as I know. PNG format is preferred and there are tutorials on how to imitate the tmw (The mana world) look. If you don't find these tutorials I will take a look for them or a Dev will post a link here. we also have a Santa hat already atm and the other hat is creative but might need some back story so if your interested in creating storyline/ quests for the items you create feel free to do so. your smallest Santa cap would fit in perfect if we did not already have one. Another thing is we prefer all sprites be released under GPL and be created by the post-er. If you are unsure of what GPL is you may want to use the wiki as a reference. All images require transparent background. If your favourite art program dose not support transparency it is suggested to download the free software GIMP (similar to photo-shop). The program called Tiled is used to map the worlds of tmw. It is encouraged but not required that a pixel artist for tmw to get familiar with this program especially when trying to introduce new tiles. There is a workshop engine that allows you to recolor colors. (most commonly grey scaled sprites)

Also, expect that your only pay is the appreciation of the community. I am very thankful for new artist like yourself to contribute talents and new ones to come.

Opinions may very but once again welcome to graphics development of tmw and thank you.

Edit:
also I missed that items are drawn at a 45 degree angle but the tutorials will tell you small things like that so its why I missed it.
Snarl
Peon
Peon

Post by Snarl »

Hi and thanks for replying! Actually the pic i posted was for example purposes only so you could see my level of skill, which I don't claim is the greatest lol. The thing with the green is not a hat, but is intended to be a little slime mold thing actually ( http://www.mykoweb.com/photos/Slime_mol ... -01%29.jpg ). Also I'm aware you guys already have a wonderful looking Santa hat =) Anyways that is why I thought I would ask if I could take on something small (an icon even) if something is needed. I am no stranger to GPL, I have created a few themes for KDE4 Plasma, and artwork for the Luna widget.

Both the hat and the slime mold thing were drawn by hand in grafix2 and mtPaint. I was just experimenting with what i had learned from reading a few pixel art tutorials (found on the TMW wiki), and was going for a low color retro look. I've attached a pic at the original 32x32 size this time, I don't know how I managed to blow the first up so big.

I have poked around in the wiki quite a bit and would be sure to use it as reference should I take on a project. I've also fudged around with Tiled already, and I'm VERY familiar with Gimp. =)

During my research, I looked for a list of needed artwork or whatnot, but I didn't run across anything, so I thought I would ask here. I don't really have the time or skills yet to take on a full fledged project like creating a map for example. I figured maybe there were elements needed that haven't been made yet. If so, I'd like to help out. Or make an attempt to anyhow =)
Attachments
example03.png
example03.png (1.01 KiB) Viewed 1464 times
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 953#p81953

This specific post is becoming more and more useful by every minute. I'm rather glad I made it.

Also, welcome aboard. We're currently in the process of coming up with a much smoother transition for people interested in helping. Stay tuned, help us grind the rough spots and reap the fruits.
This message used to be meaningful.
Snarl
Peon
Peon

Post by Snarl »

Cool, that does draw a much clearer picture of what is needed. I'll use this information to better decide how I can help out. Thanks Rotonen!
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Snarl wrote:The thing with the green is not a hat, but is intended to be a little slime mold thing actually ( http://www.mykoweb.com/photos/Slime_mol ... -01%29.jpg )
woops! sorry for the misconception. I thought it was a hat because of its colours. Happy pixeling