shuriken and kunai

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Re: shuriken and kunai

Post by Jaxad0127 »

meway wrote:
jaxad0127 wrote:
i wrote:This one Image looks very promising. Could you make stripes on hilt dynamic colorable?

And please do not split a hair on smaller parts. It's good enough. Try with other shapes. Maybe some rounded kunai's?

btw Shuriken looks very poor. It doesn't have correct perspective (~100% width, 70% height). That makes it looks strange on floor. If you apply this aspect ratio to laying object it will look ok also in inventory. ~I guess~

In case of sprite of throwing weapon. Kunai should be at least two times smaller. Now it looks as huge sword (compared to player body). AFAIR Kunai is small weapon, max 40cm. So it gives us a litte more than human head. So action sprite with 32px weapon is quite ridiculous compared to player height ~64px. It may also use heavy opacity on edges (~50%) to simulate environment reflections. I know it's a cheap and dirty trick but we should take benefits of using 8-bit alpha channel.

Reassuming Tengu: your ninja pixelart skills are improving.
Meway: Thank you for your pink tutoring hand.
Also, if you want to do it as a throwing weapon, we'll need in-air graphics for it too, in multiple directions (with correct lighting) like the arrows.
He is new. Can you be more specific? how many angles? Is there an example?

Note to self: don't make 45 degree angles in paint, it looks really bad.
The code adapts to different numbers of angles. An example: http://updates.themanaworld.org/tmwdata ... arrowh.png.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Thank you Jax
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

For the projectile animation I would rather suggest a continuous rotation animation than directional sprites.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

He is still new as far as I am concerned. I rather him work on something much simpler than these other animations because they can become over whelming and discomforting to the graphics artist as you already know. I rather not discourage him.
Tengu

Post by Tengu »

Gentlemen, i need that you choose if the kunai will be a throwing weapon or a combat weapon.

if the kunai will be a combat weapon, i need only know what lack for to be complete.

if the kunai will be a throwing weapon, i can do the imagens following the arrow example. But, definitely i cant do a charater throwing a kunai (archer charater example).

Tengu
swimmy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by swimmy »

Generally, kunai is a throwing weapon.

this is how to throw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2JeQyF5 ... r_embedded#
(sorry, I found just Japanese version)
who was...
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Actually the depiction of a Kunai as a throwing weapon is historically incorrect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kunai
Contrary to popular belief, they were not designed to be used primarily as throwing weapons, though they can be thrown and cause damage. Instead, they are a thrusting and stabbing implement.

But neither is TMW striving for realism nor do we want to copy existing cultures 1:1. So depicting Kunais as throwing weapons is OK (rule of cool).
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Tengu

Post by Tengu »

for solve this question i will do a poll.

if the adms belive that this is irrelevant...i will close the poll

Until there, please, fell free to vote.

Regards, Tengu.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

For manaserv, having it do both should be possible. Close-range melee attacks and longer-distance throwing.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Tengu I would like you to start making it with the compared arrows for now please.
Tengu

Post by Tengu »

jaxad0127 wrote:For manaserv, having it do both should be possible. Close-range melee attacks and longer-distance throwing.
Great! i will work in these possibilities. :D

And MeWay, i surely will work in the "Kunai of throw", but the part of make a character throwing a kunai, definitely, i can't do this. :?

Regards, Tengu.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

I am in-charge of the player-set so It is not something you should worry about as far as I am concerned. For now I would like you to mimic the arrow so you get used to seeing the same things repositioned, shade the changes when they are moved around to the correct lighting. Its just good practice but its entirely up to you.
bcs86
Warrior
Warrior

Post by bcs86 »

[SNIP] some off-topic dispute. Resolved.
Last edited by bcs86 on 08 Feb 2010, 01:58, edited 2 times in total.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

He has said otherwise. Fother_j is missing if you have not noticed. You may PM Rotonen on this matter. Lets stay on topic. No attitude is intended.
Tengu

Post by Tengu »

well, i tried :?

doubt: what is the correct size? (16x16)?
Attachments
KOT.png
KOT.png (808 Bytes) Viewed 2037 times