Character Skin Colors

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

August Knight
Novice
Novice

Character Skin Colors

Post by August Knight »

Good evening, I recently saw a post by Crush under some "knit cap" graphics
Manaserv will support unique items with custom (truly custom, not just 9 predefined colors) dyes for all colorisation channels. Unfortunately the unique item feature is still in the planning phase.
Is this customization of colors being extended or considered for character skin colors? i.e. giving the ability for a player to change their skin colors to varying skin tones?

(PS. I won't even push for freckles or scars at this point)
DarkLord
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Character Skin Colors

Post by DarkLord »

They have been planning different skin colours for AGES.
Regards,
DarkLord

Occasionally playing TMW.

Running Windows 8.1 Pro, OS X Mavericks and Ubuntu 13.10
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Skin colors are not in the scope of CR1 and the CRs beyond CR1 have not really been thought out in any kind of detail.
This message used to be meaningful.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

A long term goal of Manaserv is support for different player species.

Theoretically it is possible to display every species with the same sprites, just with different colorisations.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
August Knight
Novice
Novice

Post by August Knight »

Thank you for your reply Rotonen, Good luck on the project.
Always a pleasure to have the team working on stuff like this,

And to you Crush,
Crush wrote:A long term goal of Manaserv is support for different player species.

Theoretically it is possible to display every species with the same sprites, just with different colorisations.
"species", could you give a few ideals on what types you were aiming for?
That would fit the "mana world" as a whole?
I'm thinking traditional RPG type species, like elves? dwarfs? maybe we could create out own species with their own advantages/disadvantages.

PS: However, another ideal would be to create species based on location, Hunscaidian species? vs. a Tulimasharian type species? vs. a Nivalian type species?
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

August Knight wrote:
Crush wrote:A long term goal of Manaserv is support for different player species.

"species", could you give a few ideals on what types you were aiming for?
That would fit the "mana world" as a whole?
I'm thinking traditional RPG type species, like elves? dwarfs?
Nothing so cliché.
August Knight wrote:maybe we could create out own species with their own advantages/disadvantages.

PS: However, another ideal would be to create species based on location, Hunscaidian species? vs. a Tulimasharian type species? vs. a Nivalian type species?
This gives an outdated list: http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Man.
You can read the current backstory (which mentions the races/species and gives basic descriptions where needed) here: http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Backstory.
baseballboy
Knight
Knight

Post by baseballboy »

I really like the idea of different species, but different skin colors could be dangerous because it could cause a civil rights movement II X_X

I don't think we want that :/
BaseBaIIBoy - 99, Zalika - 95, Mou. - 86, baseballboy - 83, Abacus - 82, Laticia - 76

<o11c> More boobs please.
John P
Warrior
Warrior

Post by John P »

The second topic in the backstory, Before The Quake, outlines the four races which were loosely based on the images found in http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Man.

Just as a personal goal, if CR2 centers around Port City (which it should), Tritans (Tritons) will hopefully be introduced, if not only as NPCs. If you read "Before the Quake", the city referenced as "Seratera" is the location over which Port City is built.

It would be nice to see Tritons as different shades of blue to blue green, and Gispaans as some darker color than Talponians.