[REQ] Monster sprite improvements

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Re: [REQ] Monster sprite improvements

Post by Reid »

Poor pink mush... :? they dont have leg!! .. Your work is awesome ! But maybe the mush look a bit evil no ?.. The red eyes... hehe I love this work! :)
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

FrosTr wrote:edit: I have a doubt, I need to do the smoke that appears when the mushrooms attack?
We could do this with a particle effect.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Crush wrote:
FrosTr wrote:edit: I have a doubt, I need to do the smoke that appears when the mushrooms attack?
We could do this with a particle effect.
I don't see how the animation or effect would benefit from randomization. Just tortures the cpu load of the client for no particular benefit.

Let's just do an accessory sheet for it since that seems to be trend these days?
This message used to be meaningful.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

I don't see how the animation or effect would benefit from randomization. Just tortures the cpu load of the client for no particular benefit.

Let's just do an accessory sheet for it since that seems to be trend these days?
Fother already told me he would do so. then, no problem :)
FrosTr
Newly Registered User

Post by FrosTr »

Pinkie :D
[I took the picture, the image from my next post is better]
I drew the second leg of the right and left sprites, were missing :(

Ps: Sorry to those who sent me messages, but I can't answer them, I do not know why :(
I think it's why I'm Newly registered user :?
Last edited by FrosTr on 01 Jun 2010, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

When I made the pinkie a while ago I intentionally made the teeth misaligned. Why did you make them straight and orderly again? Because it's more beautiful? The contrast between cute and harmless when normal and ugly and horrible when attacking was my main motivation while designing this monster.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
FrosTr
Newly Registered User

Post by FrosTr »

When I made the pinkie a while ago I intentionally made the teeth misaligned. Why did you make them straight again? Because it's more beautiful? The contrast between cute and harmless when normal and ugly and horrible when attacking was my main motivation while designing this monster.
You think It's better? So i will re-do :D , I was wondering which was better

edit:
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

It's already excellent, FrosTr,

It's good to have pixel art improvement effort in there.

Thanks again and best regards.
Fother
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Fother »

Regarding the shrooms (no need to comment on this message, I'm just filling in the blanks):
FrosTr wrote:Sorry to those who sent me messages, but I can't answer them, I do not know why :(
I think it's why I'm Newly registered user :?
I had sent FrosTr PM since I was using his changes to the mushrooms as the bases for dissecting into accessory components for common sheets, as assurance that I'm not running over his efforts, and to thank him for the work.
Bertram wrote:

Fother already told me he would do so. then, no problem :)
Yes. I've adapted the accessory from the old sheet attack with dye channels.
"Fother" Jarrett Huxley
Evil Pixel Artist
Wiki Page | Trello | Google+ Profile
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Fother J wrote:Spider
Comments
Yes... I replaced the spider... but not without guilt, the original was made by a young Lindeijer after all :( .
Good to see that 7 year old waspider got replaced by a decent tarantula. Cave Adventure is still available for those who want to see the creature in it's original habitat and punch it. :)
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Dark_Mag
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dark_Mag »

Modanung wrote:
Fother J wrote:Spider
Comments
Yes... I replaced the spider... but not without guilt, the original was made by a young Lindeijer after all :( .
Good to see that 7 year old waspider got replaced by a decent tarantula. Cave Adventure is still available for those who want to see the creature in it's original habitat and punch it. :)
Wow... Modanung, you're back!!! How many years you were offline... :lol:
:arrow: And still remembering all old forum pages with old sprites, which are begining useable only after 7 years.

*Just someones words* :mrgreen:
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Wow... Dark_Mag, you're back!!! How many years you were offline...

BTW, what is your definition of being offline?
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

spidy.gif
spidy.gif (1.96 KiB) Viewed 3661 times
Fother J the spider you made is million times improved from the current spider, although the locomotion seems off to me.
Pixel Battalion
Fother
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Fother »

Len wrote:
spidy.gif
Fother J the spider you made is million times improved from the current spider, although the locomotion seems off to me.
<lovefest>
High praise from the Leonardo! \o/
As you know (...and you better!), I do take your criticism above all others, so I'll certainty improve this and confer with teh Len, lord of the pixel. I have to fix the right facing frame's lighting anyhow, so thy will be done! Love Fest!

OMG, Modanung! You have no idea how disheartening it was to attempt to replace something with such loving origins :(
</lovefest>

I've been slacking the last few days, but I should have the skull sheet reduction & accessory sheets committed soon as well as the mushroom reduction sheets w/ FrosTr's adjustments. I want to confer with him/her about ambient idle animation.
OMG naked, faceless mushrooms! eeeeek!
Image Image Image
... hmmm looking at this, perhaps some of the caps aren't in the correct perspective angle... I gotta investigate further... (perhaps use index 2 [that's frame 3] as the new base for indexes 0, 3, 5, and 6, and make a new one for index 2??!?... darn).

The cave snake change to make it use it's lamp antenna as an accessory to the main snake sheet is on hold briefly.

In hindsight, I should have named the "accessories" directory to "components" as there are some monsters who's entire parts are comprised of assembled accessories... since there's not much in there from the previous commit, I'm going to make the change on the next commit, unless anyone has good reason or input on the matter?

Once again, despite working on sheet reduction of redundancies and consolidation/accessorizing, nobody hesitate on working on monster sprite improvements! ... and please try to use pallets < 60% saturation unless it's a dye channel, but don't worry about dye channels / saturation if you don't understand them, we're more than happy to help with those! (Yes, I know the 60% rule needs to be defined in the wiki, but the goal is to make everything consistent for a CR, so I'll get on that as soon as I can, my apologies!)

... Len, Modanung, come back dammit (on behalf of everyone! Can I get an amen?)
"Fother" Jarrett Huxley
Evil Pixel Artist
Wiki Page | Trello | Google+ Profile
Dark_Mag
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dark_Mag »

i wrote:Wow... Dark_Mag, you're back!!! How many years you were offline...

BTW, what is your definition of being offline?
The answer is: Unposting... :lol: