[CPT][WIP]Giant Squid

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

John P
Warrior
Warrior

Re: [CPT][WIP]Giant Squid

Post by John P »

I like Stava's design. Probably not as threatening as it could be, but it looks more fun. Along with fluffies, pinkies, mouboos, and mushrooms, I think he'd fit right in. He could walk around on the beach (why not) until water is invented.
stava
Novice
Novice

Post by stava »

Oh.
I though cute style goes with the sprite :)
I like all of them, but some are hard to make for game..
Number 5 seems challenging since it has that fin thing, which would be hard to pixel..
Balthazaar
Novice
Novice

Post by Balthazaar »

Not to be rude but by all means stava create a new [wip] and create your squid and animate it.
I myself do not care for so much fluff and It does nothing to help me learn to have you come onto my thread and post artwork that isn't concept work before I have had a chance or time to work on it here. In all honesty it's quite discouraging and not cool.

Thank you to those who only supplied input and concept work it is much appreciated. I will continue to work on my own version regardless and please I don't want someone to draw it for me if I did the topic would say [REQ] giant squid.

Adds a user to mental ignore list rather than getting wrapped up in all the ego BS. By chasing the next post.
Last edited by Balthazaar on 04 Mar 2010, 04:39, edited 1 time in total.
stava
Novice
Novice

Post by stava »

Balthazaar wrote:

@stava no worries about butting in that's why we have this forum I wouldn't have posted it if I was worried about people helping. The more input the better so we can nail down the ideas before the rough perspective sketch and rough animation.

Balthazaar wrote:Not to be rude but by all means stava create a new [wip] and create your squid and animate it.
I myself do not care for so much fluff and It does nothing to help me learn to have you come onto my thread and post artwork that isn't concept work before I have had a chance or time to work on it here. In all honesty it's quite discouraging and not cool.
stava wrote:Oh.
I though cute style goes with the sprite :)
I like all of them, but some are hard to make for game..
Number 5 seems challenging since it has that fin thing, which would be hard to pixel.
If you didn't notice, I understood you, and gave up on the squid, and told you my opinion about that picture.
bcs86
Warrior
Warrior

Post by bcs86 »

I sense the heat rising in here. I don't want this de-railed.

Stava, your squid is great and it should be continued in it's own Stavayan Squid topic so that this thread does not become cluttered and confusing. There should be all sorts of squid monsters if it can be done.

This topic will involve the development of the Balthazaarian Squid. We are waiting for more input from Balthazaar when he has the time.

Peace.
stava
Novice
Novice

Post by stava »

I don't think mixing 2 styles of squid will end up good.
I was just trying to help him out, but yeah I guess I went too far..
I'm sorry for bothering you. Goodluck with your squid :wink:
iceslice
Warrior
Warrior

Post by iceslice »

hello stava, sup ?
you have a good artistic hand.
attached is the transparent version of your squid. inform me on msn if you wanna know how to.
Attachments
Giant Squid Shaded2.PNG
Giant Squid Shaded2.PNG (6.11 KiB) Viewed 2960 times
Lets Chase MDGs...

ManaPortable (Vanilla Mana + ManaPlus) -- run 'em portably

http://manaportable.1sourceplus.com
http://manamac.1sourceplus.com
Game Server >> jadu.1sourceplus.org , jadu.1sourceplus.com

Tengu

Post by Tengu »

Have some Squid that have light effect in his skins. Unfortunaly i don't remember the right name but they live in abyss of the ocean.

Tengu.
Balthazaar
Novice
Novice

Post by Balthazaar »

@bcs lol Balthazarian squid no heat on my end just trying to keep on track since it's still in the concept phase I will try to put in some work on it this weekend as i am at work now :wink:

@stava 2 versions is a good thing actually. The more choices we have to pick from=better content and quality. I really don't mind if you work on your version just do so in another topic by starting a non concept topic. Not to mention there are various forks that may want to use it as well. If you are unsure about what tags are used here look at the sticky topic about tags above in the graphics dev forum. This way it keeps things organized and we don't have finished pixel work in concept topics etc. Or discussions on how to make images transparent thanx iceslice :wink:

@tengu I think you are speaking of a cuddle fish or maybe a octopus both can blend in with their surroundings as sort of a camouflage to escape and hide from predators. It's an idea but could be pretty tricky to do.
Balthazaar
Novice
Novice

Post by Balthazaar »

Was able to get a little time to work on this not as much as I would have liked. A simple shape and a small test animation still very rough.
Attachments
gsquidoutline2.gif
gsquidoutline2.gif (12.17 KiB) Viewed 2850 times
Tengu

Post by Tengu »

Congratulations Balthazaar for this initiative, but im would like of know how you will work.
For where you will start and finish this monster?

Moviments firsts, later shading, colors. Do you already drawn this monster in paper?

I wish a good luck in your work.

Regards, Tengu
Balthazaar
Novice
Novice

Post by Balthazaar »

Tengu wrote:Congratulations Balthazaar for this initiative, but im would like of know how you will work.
For where you will start and finish this monster?

Moviments firsts, later shading, colors. Do you already drawn this monster in paper?

I wish a good luck in your work.

Regards, Tengu
Well at the moment I am still working on the basic outline. Which I plan to change a couple things on it already. While doing this I am also thinking about the movement and how it will move (different parts etc). Once I am happy with the basic shape and outline I will ask for some input to see if I should change anything. After this I will move on to the movement and frames. For walking and attack etc. Lastly I will pixel it in with texture and shading.

I do have a basic sketch but am in no way keeping myself limited by it just using it as a basic guideline. I will post regular updates for input. I am taking my time on it as I don't have lots of time to work on it with work and a 9 month old at home my time is very limited.

Feel free to post any other ideas you have for it or questions :)
Balthazaar
Novice
Novice

Post by Balthazaar »

Got a little work in on the basic perspective (the details like mouth and eyes will prob change just added them for quick mockup). Haven't added the tentacle arms yet though. Still working out a walking animation I thought the tentacles walking would look to spider like. So I'm thinking of a kinda up and down motion with small leg (tentacle) movements so it appears more fluid and jellylike rather than spider like. I will throw together a test when I get a chance.
Attachments
gsquidwip.png
gsquidwip.png (39.82 KiB) Viewed 2676 times
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Why so small?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Balthazaar
Novice
Novice

Post by Balthazaar »

it was just a desktop thumbnail of it.
Attachments
gsquidwip.png
gsquidwip.png (193.75 KiB) Viewed 2676 times