[WIP] Lava cave tileset

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

arikel
Novice
Novice

[WIP] Lava cave tileset

Post by arikel »

I think there has been previous attempts, but i started mine anyway : lava cave tileset.
There's a lot of repeated / mirrored tiles for now, i plan to replace most with variations. That goes for the cliffs as well as the lava and ground tiles. I'm not happy about the ground tile (it needs grid killing, better texture, and lots of variations).
The ground to rock transitions and lava to rock transitions are not even started yet, no need to point that out, i'm working on it, and ideas for both of those are welcome. What is much needed here, i guess, is help / advice about the texturing and shading of the cliffs (i'd like some lighting effects at the bottom of the cliffs, due to the light of the lava, but i didn't manage to get that right yet).

I also plan a version with ground as base instead of lava, so that it can fully be used to map caves.
LavaCaveTileset.png
LavaCaveTileset.png (77.55 KiB) Viewed 4960 times
lavaCaveMapTest.png
lavaCaveMapTest.png (86.62 KiB) Viewed 4960 times
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: [WIP] Lava cave tileset

Post by Crush »

Pretty good pixel art work regarding palette use. The floor texture isn't really that bad IMO. It is a quite solid base texture.

But the cliffs look more like a line of concrete pillars than a natural cave. I would suggest to try to make them less straight.

Also the magma would look really badass when you would animate it.

Another thing which would look really badass: when you make the cliffs concave-shaped and not light them from south-west-up like usually but from below so that they are illuminated by the magma.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Very very VERY rough scetch how I would do the shape and lightning:
Attachments
magmalightningscetch.png
magmalightningscetch.png (78.29 KiB) Viewed 4945 times
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Post by feline monstrosity »

It's a cool idea but would the lighting on the player then not look out of place?
~Feline Monstrosity
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

feline monstrosity wrote:It's a cool idea but would the lighting on the player then not look out of place?
Sprites will walk around mostly on top of the walls. This surface is further away from the light source of the magma and is facing away from it, so anything up there should be shaded normally and not affected by the glow effect.
  • NOT a game master

Salah
Novice
Novice

Post by Salah »

good tiles but... need more graphics
Do you want to visit my Class Web Page :D
arikel
Novice
Novice

Post by arikel »

Basic two colors lava animation concept... It's just a first try, i'm aware it's "jumping" a bit. Once i lock the animation cycle, i'll start texturing it.
lavanim.gif
lavanim.gif (25.12 KiB) Viewed 4851 times
arikel
Novice
Novice

Post by arikel »

Now with texture...
lavanim.gif
lavanim.gif (42.43 KiB) Viewed 4818 times
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

Good job on the animation so far ... my suggestion though: there's this blob (dark part of lava) that moves down and then back up ... It's the only one that does that. What if it moved down forcing the blob below to also move?
arikel
Novice
Novice

Post by arikel »

I see what you mean. At the beginning, i wanted all lava blobs to move and mix with each other during the animation cycle, but after i started to animate the first two mixing, i realized how much work that would be to have that effect on all of them, and how hard that would be to pack it all in a nice, fluid animation. I wasn't confident i'd get that right, and i went back for the simple version you can see up there. However you're right they would look much better if they all moved, mixing and splitting, and once i practice some more, i'll give it a try. Thanks for the feedback.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

arikel wrote:I see what you mean. At the beginning, i wanted all lava blobs to move and mix with each other during the animation cycle
When you would be able to pull this off it would be really awesome.
  • NOT a game master

lien
Warrior
Warrior

Post by lien »

about lava look at the post ....
=>here :wink:
I really like the second animation for the shade (red , dark red , yellow .....) .
from myself one thing to say :
  • Good job ! :D

Lien ...
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

For the lava animation, I'd put in there a pulsing brightness glow too and emphasis that instead of a fast flow. Bubbling and boiling (even splotching around) animations here and there would also work nicely as details.
This message used to be meaningful.
Ghost9998.
Peon
Peon

Post by Ghost9998. »

That is sick
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

This is looking great so far! If you don't mind me saying so, I like it a lot better than the other sets you've made.

But the columns are a little regular. I like the idea of them, but if you could variate their size it would look much more natural. Small columns, big columns, broken columns, et cetera.

The lava is looking nice to, but I would add more bubbles and make the animation slower. The columns also need to disappear into the lava, rather than sitting on top of it.

The floor at the top of the cliffs also has pale lines running vertically through it.