Strawflowers

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Gotcha
Novice
Novice

Strawflowers

Post by Gotcha »

hi all, tried my luck with making a flower.
it's not perfect, but it's a start.
i want to make a suntower/stone/obelisk for some halfhidden woodarea and a pyramid for the desert.
i'm really not a pixelartist on that very elemental level yet i see but am looking forward how it goes.
i made it with IcoFX(icofx.ro) and put it on some tiles i cut out from shots posted in the forum.
Strawflowers - first try on 2 tiles.
Strawflowers - first try on 2 tiles.
strawflowers.jpg (66.33 KiB) Viewed 2832 times
png with alpha comes when it's done and u like it.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Strawflowers

Post by Crush »

Never save pixel art in Jpeg format. It is a lossy format which changes your picture. The changes are not very visible on photos but on typical pixel art they look very bad.

Better use PNG for static images and GIF for animations.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Gotcha
Novice
Novice

Post by Gotcha »

yes, i saw some differences allready with such small areas, fileformats, and tools, like the brush in ps at size 1 thats not really affecting 1px then.
(am not a compression expert but heared about lossless and lossfull compression). nevertheless, i saved it with best(most uncompressed/original) jpg settings.
so it can be gif animations too? how long could a clip be max.? could tiles start playing and loading at the exact same time? maybe for videowall like things/areas?

i thought about the spock and kirk area/quest before and an idea was to get a caraudiolike/phaser music/videostreaming device(item).
maybe players could stream audio within an area with that.
in the theater maybe could be tiles that show tmw live video feeds from different sources, or videos a guildhouse plays on its walls+sound. maybe(when not related to a big theatre screen) the areas for videos could grow with the size of a guildhouse, that itself depend on the number of members. guildintern(using clansite/portal), people could manage whats to play on a guildhousevideowall(only inside). or, maybe something like a music/videobox in the inn could play audio for some gold(path to the streamingfile could be set in the clientsettings menue and the client itslef brings some media streamingserver with it :D ).

maybe that alien quest beams players to the enterprisebridge, that also shows some orbitoutview on tmw in the windows, with respawning poltergeistlike or other creatures to maybe help kirk and spock rescue some mission.
well, maybe thats far fetched, but in general i could imagine there is some huge thrill towards "even more broadbanded connection", and what could be better than a manaworld to do that, except meeting friends and others for real. :-)

i didn't change much but here is it as png:
strawflower.png
strawflower.png (3.61 KiB) Viewed 2804 times
strawflower_bottomgrass.png
strawflower_bottomgrass.png (4.23 KiB) Viewed 2804 times
strawflower_grass_woodhousebricks.png
strawflower_grass_woodhousebricks.png (5.12 KiB) Viewed 2804 times
Gotcha
Novice
Novice

Post by Gotcha »

and the one with bottomgrass added and grass in background:
strawflower_grass.png
strawflower_grass.png (5.21 KiB) Viewed 2800 times
any suggestions welcome, and except that, i hope we all can get along a good way again and on, as i really hadn't planned or wanted to fool or troll someone, especially not a serious or personal way.
Gotcha
Novice
Novice

Post by Gotcha »

dang xD and here actually with some transparency:
strawflower_alpha.png
strawflower_alpha.png (3.72 KiB) Viewed 2797 times
strawflower_bottomgrass_alpha.png
strawflower_bottomgrass_alpha.png (4.42 KiB) Viewed 2797 times
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The mana client supports animated tiles, but not in the form of gif animations. You create a PNG image with all the animation frames next to each other instead. The gif format is useful for demonstrating animations in the forum, though.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Gotcha
Novice
Novice

Post by Gotcha »

hm ok thx, and the framerate then?
can that be set for individual animated tiles or is it constant for all?
i would try with some corpse and maybe 1 or 2 flies hovering around for some dungeon area.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The duration of every frame can be set individually. It is even possible to use the same frame multiple times during an animation.
  • NOT a game master

AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

Crush wrote:The mana client supports animated tiles, but not in the form of gif animations. You create a PNG image with all the animation frames next to each other instead. The gif format is useful for demonstrating animations in the forum, though.
just remeber they are 32x32 (or 32 multiples) tiles so they wont overlap or get right in the middle of the next one

you can activate the grid 32 x 32 in Gimp so you know where they are respect the next tile
Gotcha
Novice
Novice

Post by Gotcha »

good news that is for the animated tiles.
also, i set up a workingarea thats 640x640 with gridlines every 32pixels and 16 subdivisions.
part of the resulting grid u see in the first post of this thread. 640x640 is an area for exactly 20tiles wide and 20 tiles high, every subdivision hold 2x2 pixels.

in icofx.ro, there is allready also a 32x32 preset canvas and lots of good tools for specially working areas with a maxcanvassize of 256x256px.

regards and thx for the infos!
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

AxlTrozz wrote:
Crush wrote:The mana client supports animated tiles, but not in the form of gif animations. You create a PNG image with all the animation frames next to each other instead. The gif format is useful for demonstrating animations in the forum, though.
just remeber they are 32x32 (or 32 multiples) tiles so they wont overlap or get right in the middle of the next one

you can activate the grid 32 x 32 in Gimp so you know where they are respect the next tile
Other sizes are perfectly doable, but for tiles, yes, multiples of 32 are needed. Like 32 wide and 64 high (the x2 tile sets) or 96 high (the x3 sets).