Player-set 1.5

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

skipy
Knight
Knight

Re: Player-set 1.5

Post by skipy »

fem-sheet demo update..

----skipy
[[[[edit]]]]----i have locked down what will be in the player set as far as frame .....the order will have to be fix to work with a xml ..and there is still the detailing left on both male and female sprites.....
Attachments
player-sprite-sheet-fem-1.5-.png
player-sprite-sheet-fem-1.5-.png (108.25 KiB) Viewed 4439 times
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

i have updated the sheets..(look back to see)...

---------skipy
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Good job Skipy!

Something to keep in mind as you go, though it does look like there won't be a problem: One handed attacks (stabbing, slashing, maybe polearm thrusting) will eventually have shield art applied to it. Figured I'd add that in, so when developing the motions, the off hand is in a position to wield a shield without it looking weird.
Current character is "Abolish".
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

Wombat wrote:Good job Skipy!

Something to keep in mind as you go, though it does look like there won't be a problem: One handed attacks (stabbing, slashing, maybe polearm thrusting) will eventually have shield art applied to it. Figured I'd add that in, so when developing the motions, the off hand is in a position to wield a shield without it looking weird.
in my head from the start of this .. :mrgreen: (shield art)..

here is a 99.9999999% done male-sheet :twisted: :wink: ...if some one would like to test this that would rock...

--------skipy

+-----{{{{edit}}}}----+

now both are done as far as i can tell...so now it needs testing..

#2#--added spell frames
Attachments
player-sprite-sheet-fem-1.5-.png
player-sprite-sheet-fem-1.5-.png (117.99 KiB) Viewed 4363 times
player-sprite-sheet-male-1.5-.png
player-sprite-sheet-male-1.5-.png (115.7 KiB) Viewed 4367 times
player_male_spell.gif
player_male_spell.gif (5.83 KiB) Viewed 4367 times
Last edited by skipy on 29 Oct 2010, 02:45, edited 1 time in total.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

i add the spell frames for male and female ......i will do a one frame blocking w/shield ...

-----skipy

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

this is now done and needs testing....

---------skipy

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

I will write up the xml, but I wont be able to see it in game until an update to the client is made. See my post
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... =2&t=11925

Once the xml is ready maybe an update to the client will be made so that the new actions will be recognized. So on that note, I need to know the exact order of the actions, they seem a bit mixed up. Discounting the old frames, I start at row 9. The first 4 frames seem to be polearm down, then slashing down, then next row pole left, 2h down, ...

I get a bit lost, could you clarify? Tell me just the order from left to right in format
action #frames direction, action #frames direction, ...
Don't bother with rows, just keep going with the list after the row ends

A few things I noticed that are similar for both genders. For the first new action, the polearm down, the first two frames look identical. Was this intended? I think the first one might be lower by a few pixels, if so I can do this in xml without needing an extra frame.

In some of the back animations, the back is strongly curved. This looks good, but I wonder how it will look with equipment (especially metal plate). Maybe just have the line go straight?

The outline is partly missing in some casting frames. Most notably the shoulders in the down frame and a lot of the female frames.

Otherwise everything is looking great! Hopefully we will see it in game as soon as the client gets the needed functionality update.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

nmaligec wrote:I will write up the xml, but I wont be able to see it in game until an update to the client is made. See my post
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... =2&t=11925

Once the xml is ready maybe an update to the client will be made so that the new actions will be recognized. So on that note, I need to know the exact order of the actions, they seem a bit mixed up. Discounting the old frames, I start at row 9. The first 4 frames seem to be polearm down, then slashing down, then next row pole left, 2h down, ...

I get a bit lost, could you clarify? Tell me just the order from left to right in format
action #frames direction, action #frames direction, ...
Don't bother with rows, just keep going with the list after the row ends

A few things I noticed that are similar for both genders. For the first new action, the polearm down, the first two frames look identical. Was this intended? I think the first one might be lower by a few pixels, if so I can do this in xml without needing an extra frame.

In some of the back animations, the back is strongly curved. This looks good, but I wonder how it will look with equipment (especially metal plate). Maybe just have the line go straight?

The outline is partly missing in some casting frames. Most notably the shoulders in the down frame and a lot of the female frames.

Otherwise everything is looking great! Hopefully we will see it in game as soon as the client gets the needed functionality update.
(posted png.may help with the order ..its the same for female)""the polearm down, the first two frames look identical. Was this intended? ""---yes, the polearm may move in those frame ,and we see a shift of weight on the other directions(i was having the polearm do all the work) it may be redundant but lot of frames are :lol: 8) ,but the "why do it" is to ...(place markers).....

"In some of the back animations, the back is strongly curved. This looks good, but I wonder how it will look with equipment (especially metal plate). Maybe just have the line go straight?"..-------i have have no new body shapes for any of the new for frames...to ease in the makeing of equipment..

"A few things I noticed that are similar for both genders. For the first new action, the polearm down, the first two frames look identical. Was this intended? I think the first one might be lower by a few pixels, if so I can do this in xml without needing an extra frame. "---i try to use whatever foot has the weight on it as the locking point for that frame of the sprite...but i do miss stuff like this so its probability just a missed place(my bad)

now that you have check this i will start makeing the attack-sheet-Temples (like we have for the stabbing frames)..

i also may add 1 or 2 "being knocked back " frames if theres a way to ues them...idk

thanks for testing and i will give the green-light on the add-on's to the old equipment..(will be copying and editing for most of it).........

thanks you so for this :twisted:

any question just ask---i may have missed some stuff--------------------------------skipy
Attachments
player-sprite-sheet-male-1.5-show.png
player-sprite-sheet-male-1.5-show.png (116.91 KiB) Viewed 4251 times

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi!

I'm so amazed by the kind work of skipy and nmaligec.
i also may add 1 or 2 "being knocked back " frames if theres a way to ues them...idk
I also like to know if (both in term of gameplpay, and technically) it is a good thing to add back the hurt frames?
What do you think about it? (Maybe a separate thread should be created to start the discussion about it?)

If you need any technical development (as for the spell frames for instance.), feel free to describe it very precisely and we'll try to help about it.
As for the spell frame, I started a discussion thread here for the technical side of this:
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... =2&t=11935

Thanks again :)

Best regards.
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

skipy:

Maybe wait a bit before updating the equipment. I still have to start testing it, but I think that should be easy thanks to crush's suggestion to used an exiting action (I will temporarily replace sit with the new animations and test one after another).

1. Could you add a 4rth frame to the left/right/up 1h swing animations. The down sequence has 4 frames and it is a bit awkward synchronizing the timing between different # of frames. Alternately you can remove the 1 frame from the down swing.

2. A minor request for the polearm down animation. If you have time maybe make the 2nd frame slightly different from the first, it would make me feel better. Since we got the frame, might as well use it? If you don't have the time its ok, its not really important.

3. I am guessing the new animations are for: polearm, 1h swing (with shield potential), 2hand, casting. Please correct if I am wrong.

4. I will reorganize the spritesheet for ease of writing the xml. I just need you to recolor the arrows in the diagram you gave so that polearm animations use red arrows, 1h swing has blue, 2h has green. I don't want any chance of mixing them up for the final sheet.

5. if you want to add the hurt/knock-back frames, I will add the xml for them. Once they are done, there might be more incentive to add support for it in the client :mrgreen:

6. what do you mean by attack sheet templates???

Bertram:

Seems the new topic is already turning into a flame war :lol: I would add something to it but I don't know enough about the client or server code to give an opinion. I will just keep plodding along with the xml and get it ready for when the more knowledgeable guys figure out a way to add it in.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi,
3. I am guessing the new animations are for: polearm, 1h swing (with shield potential), 2hand, casting. Please correct if I am wrong.
-> You can already name them in the playerset.xml file, like this:

Code: Select all

<action name="attack_polearm" imageset="base">
<!-- ... -->
</action>
I would propose: attack_polearm, attack_2hand, attack_1hand (if different from the current one.)

Then, to test them, open the items.xml file in your custom data folder, and change the attack-action tag of your favourite weapon, like this:

Code: Select all

<item id="521"
        image="weapon-dagger-dagger.png"
        name="Dagger"
        attack-action="attack_polearm" 
        ...>
As said earlier, the cast action will need another special treatment to work, but you can indeed replace the sit action for testing purpose. ;)
Seems the new topic is already turning into a flame war :lol: I would add something to it but I don't know enough about the client or server code to give an opinion. I will just keep plodding along with the xml and get it ready for when the more knowledgeable guys figure out a way to add it in.
Lol. If you mean the thread just below, as for now, not at all ;)
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... =2&t=11935

Good luck and best regards.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Great job everyone but I saw a detail that could be really nice and easy to correct. This detail is the eyes of the character.
For example, when he uses the bow, we see his right eye close only once and only when he faces towards the player.

What can be fixed are the different face expressions (done by the eyes) of the character when he aims (for example) with the bow.

PS : why don't we create other images of the character when he is dead : we only have the front one ?

Sincerely, Napalm.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

@->nmaligec...

#1-done
#2- done
#3-correct
#4-done
#5-sweet,ill add it as i get some time
#6-(see png)

--i will do the female fixes soon

ill hold off on the equipment for now lol..
"Seems the new topic is already turning into a flame war"---yeah lol....but if its there it can be used like---> haveing shells for your gun, you my not need them till you can fix your gun but you will be Happy you have them :wink: imo

and agen thanks :mrgreen: :twisted:

@->Bertram...

thank you for the help guidance..
as always feel free to feed back on any thing .

@->Ali-G

as far as the death, would add to much work for to little(equipment)...
and more faces that fit what the play is doing would be great and can be added almost any time ...i just have to much going on with other thing to do it...but feel free to try it you self just please open it in a new topic
Attachments
player-sprite-sheet-male-1.5-show.png
player-sprite-sheet-male-1.5-show.png (120.52 KiB) Viewed 4190 times
weapontemplate_128px.png
weapontemplate_128px.png (19.92 KiB) Viewed 4190 times

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi,

Great team work guys, gives me the Christmas chill ;)

Merry Christmas to all.
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

skipy:
heh, I just noticed that I need the female spritesheet with requests 1 and 2 added (ie modified 1rst frame polearm, and 4rth frame 1h). I am almost ready to test the male version, just taking a small break first. Hopefully you will have the female base ready by the time I can test it.

As for the weapon spritesheets (ie the attack sheet templates), I thought we could use some of the unreleased weapons:

id 594 "Spear" for polearm (note: reference weapon-staff.png for approx length)

id 587 "Sword" for 1h (note: make sure it is about 20 pix high/long from hilt to tip. The longsword should be the longest at ~32 px)

id 549 "Axe" for 2h (note: keep it about 26 pix long. Also if you prefer id 550 "Blacksmith's Axe" you can do that one instead, it can be ~28-30 pix.)

There is a quick reference for the weapon icons on the wiki:
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... ed_Weapons
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... ed_Weapons

Also if you think my weapon length estimates are off pls discuss. I judged based off the body proportions of the spritesheet and tried to relate that to a reasonable weapon lengths.

Ali-G/Napalm:
Adding more animation to the eyes would be GREAT! Right now the head looks kinda wooden/frozen. Can you take on this project to add more expressive eyes to the player set? By changing only the eyes, we won't have to modify any of the equipment graphics. Just wait until the current work that skipy is doing is complete before starting any new modifications.

I agree with skippy's peanut butter, that death frames in different directions isn't worth it. By adding an extra up and left frame (right is mirrored), you would need to add 2 extra frames of pixel work to EVERY piece of equipment! I don't think anyone has any serious problems with just the forward facing single death frame.

One last question that is open to all:
Should the weapons appear in the normal non-combat frames as well, like the scythe? This would mean a lot more pixel work but it might be worth it, just having the weapon pop out when you swing is kinda ridiculous IMO. If people agree that would mean adding 1 death frame, 3 stand frames, 3 sit frames, and 18 walk frames (note left and right are mirrors, so you only need to pixel one set). This would be on top of the minimum 12 attack frames, 37 frames is a lot of work and that is just for 1 weapon.