[REQ] Tileset: Crypt_indoor

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Re: [REQ] Tileset: Crypt_indoor

Post by salmondine »

I thought maybe this might fit as fringe.
tcs.png
tcs.png (3.34 KiB) Viewed 2709 times
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

I like it really much but I think it is a bit too big compared to the player frames.
salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Post by salmondine »

The tall candle stand is supposed to be 3 tiles high as I envisioned it but really it depends on how and where it might be used.
for the crypt I could see this larger sized fixture...

I can of course do a shorter version... but I already have different sized candles and holders in progress.
I visualized this one in the crypt interior.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

i think 3 tiles is good ,lower and it would be in the players eyes 8) ..

the only thing that could use some work is the color ...
imo i will blend with the floor (idk have not tested)..
maybe try matching the gate.. or making it gold (like the torch stands in the caves)...

nice job on it. :wink: ...if your up to it ,it would be great to have a wall mounted one as well :mrgreen: ..

thx salmondine for the good work as always...

------skipy
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Post by salmondine »

tcswfb.png
tcswfb.png (53.69 KiB) Viewed 2656 times
Showing candle stand on floor I hope.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

imo it looks good......i dose not hide in the floor/walls as much as i was thinking... :mrgreen: nice job.

---skipy
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Looks nice. A full set of those would be a nice addition the the set.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Candelabra & Tileset cleanup

Post by nmaligec »

Very nice work salmondine. I have been meaning to reply to this one for a while but I havent gotten to the point where I need it yet. I made a few modification to the position and size so that it fits into tile sections. By doing this I could create the candelabra shown below with only 9 types of tiles.
candelabra.jpg
candelabra.jpg (30.95 KiB) Viewed 2575 times
A few things:
  • I had to shrink everything down a little so parts would fit tile boundaries. This means that you will need to fix some of the pixel distortions & outlines.
  • Redo the large single candle. I quickly hacked up the 3 pronged one you did and scaled to give a rough idea of whats needed.
  • I would really like to have the skull candles on a pole. I did a quick mock up but I think the pole might be too thick and the base too large for the smaller sized skull. Maybe add a thinner pole and smaller base tile to the set. (note that the modified skull candle that connects to the pole is next to the candelabra tiles, while the standalone version is with the candles near the top left of the tile set).
  • I really really want a damaged skull candle: cracked skull and only part of a candle on it (no wick needed it won't be lit). From this I can add an altered version to fit on a pole.
  • A variant of the skull candle would be really nice too, if you can pull it off. I would like to place a lot of these on walls and only one variant (2 including the damaged one) might not hack it.
  • The colour scheme doesn't seem to match the crypt. I tried dulling it down a bit bit it still doesn't quite match. Maybe you can fix it up in gimp if you know how to use the different color tools.
  • I know that beeswax candles aren't white but please try and match the colour scheme of the existing candles in the tile set; or change the existing ones to match yours.
Don''t bother adding the candle flames, just the wicks. I add them to the map separately using a particle. I did not add the particle for the demo candles, but you can see one frame of it on the skull candle on the wall I had added previously.

PS: I just noticed from my demo pic that by centering the middle decor piece inside a tile, I off centered it when it gets tiled together with the short stemmed candle top and the long stemmed candle base. I can fix this in the next update I make after salmondine.

Here is the fringe tile set where I added the candelabra tiles, notice the colour scheme.
Crypt-Fringe.png
Crypt-Fringe.png (200.47 KiB) Viewed 2575 times
The best way to work with tile sets (as a pixel artist) is to use gimp and set Image->Configure Grid to 32x32 and then View->Show grid, View->Snap grid.

Merlin & others: great work on the tile set! I hope you don't mind me taking liberties and adding in stuff here and there. One important thing: when you originally put together the tile set, you used some brownish tiles from the graveyard (I think). I tried modifying the colour to match the crypt walls but I didn't quite get it right. Much more care needs to be taken to get it to match up properly. Please if anyone can pull this off IT WOULD BE AWESOME! I pushed the colour modified versions to the test client repo here
http://gitorious.org/~wombat/tmwdata/ca ... hics/tiles

Also, I noticed that some tiles were redundant and that there is seemingly redundant sections of wall in the crypt fringe tile set. I would suggest moving the doors from the blockwalls to the fringe and any needed wall sections from the fringe to the blockwalls.

PPS: sorry for the extra long post, I just had a lot to say about each part.