Snowland (Kaizei) Art

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Snowland (Kaizei) Art

Post by Wombat »

This is **not** a priority at the moment, but many have voiced a desire to get the snowland back. People working on the Graveyard **priority** should remain on this project to speed its release, because that is the next thing to be released. Many of these ideas are coming from TMW-UFB and I thank arikel and his team for their hard work to make it an enjoyable area to play in on their server. I am also a developer for TMW-UFB, but my duties on the official game have sapped my time, so I hope to correspond many things done in the snowland with what has been done there.

a lot of pixel art - monster sprites - We will use some of the existing snowland monsters, the lizard (inside a lava cave) and the moggun. We may use a few tmw-ufb monsters, like the winter fluffy. We may also use the large yeti. However, we need new monster sprites to make snowland unique. Ideas to choose from (or make something else that would fit):

Moose-like (not a mouboo, though it can be looked to for inspiration)
Polar Bear-like
Evil Blue Dwarf (Evil Blue Dwarf: Zombie & Skeleton after it is done)
Winter Wolf-like
Klingons with space ship to kill Kirk and Spock (not really)
Snow Cat-like creature
Ice Mole-like creature (ice caves)
Snow Owl-like creature
Snow ferret-like
Small white Dragon-like
Small white Dragonspawn
Flying winter insect

animated npcs - something like with the graveyard NPCs: simple waving, clothing adjustments, pacing, taking something out of their pocket, looking at it and then putting it back in their pocket...just as examples. Women are needed more than men, both are good. Children and fat people are a big bonus.

armor, weapons, clothing - anything that isn't a hat is difficult to make. I'd prefer we just use existing stuff, maybe with some touch ups to give a winter look because the playerset is currently a higher priority and good efforts here would have to be redone for the playerset. It all comes down to if people want a better playerset for tA or more equipment. It is either one or the other until the playerset is expanded and all existing equipment that is wanted, is fixed for it.

tilesets - we will only use arikel's snowland tilesets and ice tilesets from tmw-ufb. Making these better would be nice, but is not a priority and I'd prefer arikel organize this since he's done such a great job so far.

mapping - We are using arikel's snowland tilesets for tmw-ufb to make new maps. The town of "Avalon" won't necessarily be used for the official server, so this map will need replaced by another map and some of the other stuff for tmw-ufb that make it unique will be changed to give the official server snowland map unique characteristics. A valley area that connects several towns through a series of caves is needed. Castle Frosthorn also needs to be made.

xml - All NPCs, equipment, items, monsters, etc. need xml support to get into the game.

npc scripting (quests and interesting dialog) - The backstory for Kaizei is similar to Argaes...Tulimshar imperialism is imposing itself in the area, so Castle Frosthorn serves as the base of operations for Tulimshar influence in the area. NPCs are about the firerock trade (dropped by lizards in the lava caves) and fur trade. The Order of Ice Wizards are a native force that is resisting Tulimshar influence, while the Sages of Kaizei (Santa being one) are experts in Astral magic and hold the area together with a warp system that needs characters to go to the areas as they are unlocked to establish connections. Caves are the primary method of travel until these areas are unlocked by individual characters.

some pixel art (items, icons, static npcs, hats) - Monster drops, like body parts and items are needed. They should be commodity items like spell components or used for making equipment. New goods, like snow plums, would be great too, since native plants need to exist. Hats are great in some ways for new equipment since they can help give a unique feel with less frames than regular equipment should the playerset expand. i'd recommend hoods that fit clothing and animal hats after the animal-monster exists for it. Static npcs, like the animated kind, should fit new concepts and body types, but we can support a large variety of static npcs on a single sheet while animated ones need a separate one...I'd like a 60-40 split on static to animated npcs.

This is all just some ideas and can be changed as we go continue to get passed the graveyard inn priority. A wizard's tower priority is also coming up and I'm not sure which should win out, but I'll let the artists make one or the other the next big thing.
Current character is "Abolish".
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Snowland (Kaizei) Art

Post by Rotonen »

How about we simply remove the Star Trek characters? I think they have served their purpose of making Elven smile back in the days.
This message used to be meaningful.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

Rotonen wrote:How about we simply remove the Star Trek characters? I think they have served their purpose of making Elven smile back in the days.
please do....they are cool and well done ....but dont fit.....and it buggs me to see people ask for stuff that uses them....NO STAR SHIP IN TMW...pleace!!

------------------------------------------skipy
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

skipy wrote:
Rotonen wrote:How about we simply remove the Star Trek characters? I think they have served their purpose of making Elven smile back in the days.
please do....they are cool and well done ....but dont fit.....and it buggs me to see people ask for stuff that uses them....NO STAR SHIP IN TMW...pleace!!

------------------------------------------skipy
I guess you wouldn't go for my Battlestar Galactica / TMW cross over fan fic?
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
Mr Anonymous
Novice
Novice

Post by Mr Anonymous »

Wombat wrote:
some pixel art (items, icons, static npcs, hats) - Monster drops, like body parts and items are needed. They should be commodity items like spell components or used for making equipment. New goods, like snow plums, would be great too, since native plants need to exist. Hats are great in some ways for new equipment since they can help give a unique feel with less frames than regular equipment should the playerset expand. i'd recommend hoods that fit clothing and animal hats after the animal-monster exists for it. Static npcs, like the animated kind, should fit new concepts and body types, but we can support a large variety of static npcs on a single sheet while animated ones need a separate one...I'd like a 60-40 split on static to animated npcs.

Wonderful ill get started on these right away.

Regards, :twisted:
We are Anonymous.
we are legion.
we do not forgive, we do not forget.
we can be horrible, senseless, uncaring monsters.
we are still able to deliver.
Expect us.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Here goes arikel's tilesets for the snowland that in tmw-ufb's tmwdata. I haven't decided which set should be added for our use.

Also, after some review, I decided that we'd only use arikel's tilesets. We will make all original maps for this area. Other than these two tilesets to choose between, tmw-ufb uses most of the same tilesets we already have in our tmwdata or we won't be using the same ones.

Our current maps include 019-1, 020-1, 020-2, 020-3 and 020-4. Adding onto this list would include: Caves on 019-1 and 019-3 to correspond. We will also need new maps for the area surrounding Nivalis, primarily east, west and south of 019-1. These areas would be a challenge to character level 70 or 80 and include the Yeti monster. Reid already has an ice lake and cave map ready for the area. I'll talk to her about where it should go for this and how it could be used.
Attachments
May be an alternative set
May be an alternative set
Snow_tmp1.png (198.61 KiB) Viewed 4653 times
Used on tmw-ufb
Used on tmw-ufb
Snow.png (207.44 KiB) Viewed 4653 times
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Here goes the yeti, which will require minor cleanup and xml to be used. Below it is a lynx cat which would work well for the area if it gets all its frames complete for walking and attack.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Hi Wombat.

The trees and crystals should be moved to a separate _x3 tileset for easier and better mapping.

I prefer the blue rocks because they enhance the coldness, but the warm, orange rocks give a nice contrast, too. It depends on the feeling you want to go for (unfriendly, harsh winter vs. happy fun snowtime winter).
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

started work on wolf.......and others...also have (maybe) (imo) a boss on the way...i should post today

--------------------skipy
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

The immediate Kaizei release will use the following maps:
019-1, 019-3, 020-1, 020-2, 020-3 (020-3 and 020-4 are to merge)...the maps to be numbered include an ice lake map, caves connected to the ice lake and a lava cave map, which can be connected through 019-3.

Monsters for this release include: All previous monsters from kaizei, the large yeti, the moggun, the winter fluffy, the terranite (lava cave) and the lizard (lava cave).

Other monsters that are made for the area can be added as content progresses, but these are the minimum for what must be done to bring the area back.

As far as new quests, the fur quest may return, kirk and spock can gtfo, the santa and snowman quests may return, the bo staff may enter the game and a general call for "daily quests" (using the dailyquest.txt function) to enter this area would be great. Also, some quests offered on tmw-ufb may be altered and offered within Kaizei.

Warping to nivalis will no longer be done through Taro and instead such warping will be handled in a yet to be determined way. It could be by boat (which would be highly expensive) or it could be by the Order of Ice/Sages of Kaizei.

Whether this happens before or after the graveyard inn/crypt release depends on the factor of artists completing their work based on the priorities they want to handle them. Script writing is not essential to its release, but would deeply enrich the area as to keep it fun and interesting beyond what is already available.

For the next Kaizei big release after this, it will be starting from level 1 and moving up as an optional method of character advancement away from the Tonori/Argaes area we currently offer. It is my hope that by offering an alternative path that we could see a great replay value within the game, so a single server could, in a way, offer two games in one.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Wombat wrote:The immediate Kaizei release will use the following maps:
019-1, 019-3, 020-1, 020-2, 020-3 (020-3 and 020-4 are to merge)...the maps to be numbered include an ice lake map, caves connected to the ice lake and a lava cave map, which can be connected through 019-3.
I can continue my lake map and the snow cave who will be in too..
Monsters for this release include: All previous monsters from kaizei, the large yeti, the moggun, the winter fluffy, the terranite (lava cave) and the lizard (lava cave).
I work on the yeti death frames.

For the next Kaizei big release after this, it will be starting from level 1 and moving up as an optional method of character advancement away from the Tonori/Argaes area we currently offer. It is my hope that by offering an alternative path that we could see a great replay value within the game, so a single server could, in a way, offer two games in one.[/quote]

People can choise at the start of the game where they want to start? Argaes or Kaizei, they choise where they want to start and... they finish all to hurns at the end I think u.u
I saw that on an other game... That worked really fine u.u
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

(((((this is far from done))))
but if it done not take me to long to finish ....it may fit the lava cave(imo)

ill work more on on this ...""feed back"" is welcome..

-----------skipy
Attachments
monster-flying.png
monster-flying.png (39.22 KiB) Viewed 4546 times

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

skipy wrote:(((((this is far from done))))
but if it done not take me to long to finish ....it may fit the lava cave(imo)

ill work more on on this ...""feed back"" is welcome..

-----------skipy
Omfg, its wonderful :OO

continu continu!! :O
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Ventole
Peon
Peon

Post by Ventole »

Wombat wrote:Here goes arikel's tilesets for the snowland that in tmw-ufb's tmwdata. I haven't decided which set should be added for our use.

Also, after some review, I decided that we'd only use arikel's tilesets. We will make all original maps for this area. Other than these two tilesets to choose between, tmw-ufb uses most of the same tilesets we already have in our tmwdata or we won't be using the same ones.

Our current maps include 019-1, 020-1, 020-2, 020-3 and 020-4. Adding onto this list would include: Caves on 019-1 and 019-3 to correspond. We will also need new maps for the area surrounding Nivalis, primarily east, west and south of 019-1. These areas would be a challenge to character level 70 or 80 and include the Yeti monster. Reid already has an ice lake and cave map ready for the area. I'll talk to her about where it should go for this and how it could be used.
Shouldn't the cave entrance (archway, whatever) be dithered as opposed to gradient'ed?
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

idea for a set.....
----------skipy
Attachments
yetiarmor-show.png
yetiarmor-show.png (2.8 KiB) Viewed 4459 times

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido