[FND] Spinning Scythe

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Re: [WIP] Spinning Scythe

Post by Kage »

For a cursed weapon, what about no hilt... just hold the blade raw
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

Kage wrote:For a cursed weapon, what about no hilt... just hold the blade raw
hmmm a idea off that is...
when its equipped it responds as if you have more then 1/2 your lb.....thus unable to heal....(thats the down side)...
(on the up side) all damage you do with it is added to your life....

just a idea...

------------------------skipy
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

I like skipys idea. I think the damage the weapon imparts would have to be high, say 175, because in a decent mob the damage taken comes very quickly.
sexy red bearded GM
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

skipy wrote:
Kage wrote:For a cursed weapon, what about no hilt... just hold the blade raw
hmmm a idea off that is...
when its equipped it responds as if you have more then 1/2 your lb.....thus unable to heal....(thats the down side)...
(on the up side) all damage you do with it is added to your life....

just a idea...

------------------------skipy
There are two types of worlds. Ones in which good ideas exist. And ones that eA supports.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
Freeyorp101
Archivist Prime
Archivist Prime

Post by Freeyorp101 »

I haven't tested if bHPDrainRate works in our version, but there is something there for it. (Currently undefined in our const.txt, but there is an enum id for it, I forget the value but somewhere in the thousands, it's defined in either map.h or pc.h)

Interestingly, I think there is code for bHPDrainRate with negative values too.

I don't think there is a bonus for altering the weight right now, though.

bHPRecovRate could be used for the same effect, possibly even making it drain over time.

---Freeyorp
(09:58:17) < tux9th> Freeyorp: your sig on the forums is kind of outdated
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Kage wrote: There are two types of worlds. Ones in which good ideas exist. And ones that eA supports.
The first world is called Manaserv ;)
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

nmaligec wrote:
Skipy, about the weapon frames: Wow that looks awsome, much better than I previously imagined! Since the scythe is 3d, do you want me to try and match the attack frames and render out a template for you? It might help with angles and shading, but I get the feeling it will require A LOT of touch up (especially adding a good outline, the built-in outlining options don't look good).
is this some thing that you have on the way or should i work with what i have??....its not a big deal if you dont want to ...(really) but it would rock to have one....
please give me a answer today on whether you or are not doing this.....other wise ill start work on this with out it....

--------------------skipy
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

skipy, Im working on this right now. I was quite busy with day to day stuff. I would like to get the templates to you by end of tomorrow (though that might a bit optimistic)
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

nmaligec wrote:skipy, Im working on this right now. I was quite busy with day to day stuff. I would like to get the templates to you by end of tomorrow (though that might a bit optimistic)
no problem ..just wondering...i think i may have to much free time ...(with the not sleeping)..ill wait and work on other things :mrgreen: for now ...thanks for geting back so soon... :twisted:

-------------------skipy

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Freeyorp101
Archivist Prime
Archivist Prime

Post by Freeyorp101 »

Crush wrote:The first world is called Manaserv ;)
Last time I checked, ManaServ had neither lifesteal nor damage procs fully implemented yet. After testing, tmwAthena appears to be able to do this fine. ;)

---Freeyorp
(09:58:17) < tux9th> Freeyorp: your sig on the forums is kind of outdated
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

Darn its sep 03, well I stayed up all night to finish so its still 1 day for me.

I hope it will be worth all the effort, so really make this shine skipy!
The dark blue border was what I extended beyond the 64x64 player frames. It is now 84x84.
The dark blue border was what I extended beyond the 64x64 player frames. It is now 84x84.
razor.gif (26.76 KiB) Viewed 2735 times
I figure you can mirror the left/right frames and the female set should be almost the same with minor changes (at least its not armor!).

I really wanted to add a skull face to the pommel, but I thought it would prob be easier for you to do that (I wanted it to always face the camera, as a gag/creepy effect). The pommel shape was intended to be an upside down skull, but the details wouldn't show too well. Do what you can with it.

Each frame needs outlines, you might get away with: select empty pixels, select-invert and edit-stroke (have fun :roll: ).

You will also need to cut out the portions of the grip and guard that should be obscured by the player. I attached a xcf zip of all the relevant frames, for your convinience. Just remember that the new frames are 84x84 and the player set is 64x64 (have fun matching them up :roll: ).

I added a frame for the item icon, It really didnt turn out though and needs A LOT of fixing to look like proper game art (I ran out of time at this point, its almost 7am). It will be shrunk down considerably, so it might not look so bad at proper icon size (its 84x84).

I added a death frame just to see how it would look, use it or not. I could also do the walk frames with the sword in a scabbard but that can wait, unless of course people don't want it to have the weapon display when walking.

If you need anything else done let me know.
Attachments
frames.zip
All the relevant playerset frames, conveniently clipped to separate layers.
(27.41 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
razor.zip
Here is the ziped xcf gimp file with each frame on a diff layer and guides to snap em to.
(14.87 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
Last edited by nmaligec on 03 Sep 2010, 10:42, edited 2 times in total.
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

It would only let me add 3 attachments, so here is the png.
Attachments
razor.png
razor.png (16.33 KiB) Viewed 2734 times
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

nmaligec wrote:Darn its sep 03, well I stayed up all night to finish so its still 1 day for me.

I hope it will be worth all the effort, so really make this shine skipy!
razor.gif
I figure you can mirror the left/right frames and the female set should be almost the same with minor changes (at least its not armor!).

I really wanted to add a skull face to the pommel, but I thought it would prob be easier for you to do that (I wanted it to always face the camera, as a gag/creepy effect). The pommel shape was intended to be an upside down skull, but the details wouldn't show too well. Do what you can with it.

Each frame needs outlines, you might get away with: select empty pixels, select-invert and edit-stroke (have fun :roll: ).

You will also need to cut out the portions of the grip and guard that should be obscured by the player. I attached a xcf zip of all the relevant frames, for your convinience. Just remember that the new frames are 84x84 and the player set is 64x64 (have fun matching them up :roll: ).

I added a frame for the item icon, It really didnt turn out though and needs A LOT of fixing to look like proper game art (I ran out of time at this point, its almost 7am). It will be shrunk down considerably, so it might not look so bad at proper icon size (its 84x84).

I added a death frame just to see how it would look, use it or not. I could also do the walk frames with the sword in a scabbard but that can wait, unless of course people don't want it to have the weapon display when walking.

If you need anything else done let me know.
it looks grate...i have done some fitting ...and it looks like its going to work really well imo..i mite change the hilt as to hide the hand(im not sure yet)... It will be shrunk down(still playing around with size to find the sweet spot)....

"Each frame needs outlines"-----im on it should not be hard as soon as i lock it all down as sheet......

at this time i would ask input from Dev,s as to what is ok and not ok(size,how it fits,ect.....) so this dose not end up like the rock knife....

i will try my best to get this ready for the gy inn...but if it misses it...i will stay on it till its done...

thank you nmaligec for all your hard work on this IT will pay off :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: -----------------------skipy

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

icon needs to be 32x32 for it. The hilt will have to be a crafting quest to make, which is good since it will require another step to make the sword.

From what I can tell, most artists right now would prefer to move forward without expanding the player set. I'd like to have some thoughts on it. There does seem to be a way to do a "slashing" animation without new frames, but it isn't very pretty.

The animation seems backwards for the weapon, not sure if that is the intention of the weapon. If the current artists would rather work around the lack of slashing animation instead, that is okay, but I'd like to know how everyone feels since it was meant to be a priority after we got done with this series of releases we are working on now.
Current character is "Abolish".
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

Wombat: a scythe blade is sharp only on the inner curve. I redid the icon to keep this in mind.
icon_32.png
icon_32.png (1.3 KiB) Viewed 2692 times
skipy: Will the larger frame size be a problem? The blade length, when it was a mob and when an item, was measured to be proportional to the player.

I just noticed that the death frame has poor shading, sorry. The blade thickness on the last frame of the forward attack seems a little thin, might need bulking up. I hope you this doesn't cause you too much trouble.

I can't wait to see the end result, once you use your pixel powers on it all!