[REQ] Tag and Finish the grass tileset

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Re: [REQ] Tag and Finish the grass tileset

Post by meway »

I very much like this one.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi,

Me too,

The grass looks real fine to me now.

Best regards.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

IMHO This grass looks like garbage.

The texture and color are all wrong. It's freaking aqua marine and not green. The texture looks like dirt not grass. It tiles like garbage as well and shows griddyness.
Also the set it "TOO" complex. You shouldn't have to spend hours to get a decent ground layer in place.

The tall grass is fine in it's original version if it is mated to an actual floor and using crush's fringe x2 technique it makes a nice tall grass that look like your walking thru it on not on it.

Links to what I think the grass should look like:
http://opengameart.org/content/dark-grass
http://opengameart.org/content/oga-comm ... set-nature

And my fav that I plan on using on my fork: (Grass tile is in the center off all that.)
http://opengameart.org/content/2d-circl ... liffvegbmp

This should give a general idea of what I think the grass should look like.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

1 isn't pixel-art
2 looks kinda flat, but it's okay
3 is a bit too straight, and there are at least 12 colours in there

While I agree that this grass is not perfect, it is the best we have.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Those were not meant to be used as actual tiles.
I'm not saying that the examples are perfect but they are just examples of what the color and texture should be like.

If that's the best we have then we need something new. It's not good enough imo for this game.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

Merlin wrote:If that's the best we have then we need something new.
Awesome, when do you plan to have it ready by?
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

I have never claimed to be a "pixel artist" and if I could have made a better grass I would have by now.
I don't even consider the completely original works I've done even good enough for this game.
I tried to make do with the current set but I can't stand it. I don't want to map CR1 with garbage, and will not accept using anything of such low quality.
I was told to make the requests I want. If I have to step on some toes I will. In fact I'll rip heads off if I have to.
I am requesting that we get a suitable grass/ground tileset for CR1. Feel free to contribute art or ideas, but keep the snide comments to yourself.
MerlinX420
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

You never made a request though, you just said "it should be better". ;)
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

well shouldn't it? :) idk I had to state the obvious around here. I need the link to fothers little pic of matt.
So when something sucks I can respond with just that. :) I didn't just say "it's wrong, re-do it" I gave the reason's why I thought it was unsuitable and offered reference links to other examples of what I think the grass should look more like. I might have worded it a little harshly but I was trying to get my point across.

Maybe I'm too picky. I'm so picky if I can't get the slight mis coloration out of the sand I messed up I might even hold back on my desert re-make.
MerlinX420
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hmm,

While i get the points of you both, I wondered if you would be able to provide a grass recoloration fitting what you're talking about, Merlin?

That way, we would make a step forward the desired color panel, at least, IMHO.

Best regards.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

poison_ivy wrote:While I agree that this grass is not perfect, it is the best we have.
You still have my grass from the Woodland tileset.

I don't understand this obsession with reinventing the wheel for CR1.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Crush I actually like your grass. The color might be a bit bright,but I like the texture. I might try slightly re-coloring it.
MerlinX420
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

MerlinX420 wrote:I tried to make do with the current set but I can't stand it. I don't want to map CR1 with garbage, and will not accept using anything of such low quality.
I was told to make the requests I want. If I have to step on some toes I will. In fact I'll rip heads off if I have to.
I am requesting that we get a suitable grass/ground tileset for CR1.
I stand behind this.
This message used to be meaningful.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Here's an example of crush's grass a little less saturated then the original.
Attachments
Crushsgrass-lesssaturation.png
Crushsgrass-lesssaturation.png (10.72 KiB) Viewed 4671 times
MerlinX420
IvanMorve
Novice
Novice

Post by IvanMorve »

A pixel artist have to draw at least one grass tile during his career.
Here is my result (a "Crush-like" grass):