[REQ] Tag and Finish the grass tileset

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Re: [REQ] Tag and Finish the grass tileset

Post by AxlTrozz »

@Merlin: I would like to see your version of the grass before you can call anyone else work garbage. If you want your work to be respected you have to respect the others work. You said you are not a pixelartist why should you be so harsh on your comments on people that at least is trying ?

@Ivanmorve: those colors are nice, just remember that grass is not a carpet neither perfect, so the challenge is to use those colors in a imperfect version of your grass, de-colored spots, higher and lower sizes, road borders and transitions so you can have a very nice looking and complete tileset. Also remember is an Island so the environment is different, some times is just scattered spots and covered by sand.

@Rotonen: You said that anything WIP could be posted to the test server, now you are backing up ? or I missed something ?

@IvanMorve: I'm really sorry but I don't know where this thing is going to end, check all the pixelartist trying to do something for CR1 and then check all the people whining about what I did is garbage and how high is theirs standards ? please remove my version from Git I hope someone else do the grass.

Note: this is NOT the CR1 forum and in general comments like this should be done in the Developers Forum not in a freaking public section.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

AxlTrozz wrote:@Rotonen: You said that anything WIP could be posted to the test server, now you are backing up ? or I missed something ?
To the best of my knowledge TMW-eA does not have a test server. For TMW CR, no either. For the dev server you can push anything and it can be as happy-hack of a content-fest as ever. For the test server (which we do not have yet), only agreed upon and cherry-picked stuff will go. A simple staging workflow aiming and hoping for "no fixes required in production" (which is never going to happen, Murphy's law + IT).

What I am standing behind here: we already have maps with the grass in question in dev, but that is not going to get pushed onto testing until fixed.

But yes, the existing confusion about mis-cross-using forums like this for TMW-eA and TMW CR is hopefully coming to an end with the castle walls tileset being done and this thread ending as well.
This message used to be meaningful.
IvanMorve
Novice
Novice

Post by IvanMorve »

AxlTrozz wrote:@Ivanmorve: those colors are nice, just remember that grass is not a carpet neither perfect, so the challenge is to use those colors in a imperfect version of your grass, de-colored spots, higher and lower sizes, road borders and transitions so you can have a very nice looking and complete tileset. Also remember is an Island so the environment is different, some times is just scattered spots and covered by sand.
What about something like this:
based on Battle for Wesnoth grass
color and style doesn't match with other tilesets
grid
AxlTrozz wrote:@IvanMorve: I'm really sorry but I don't know where this thing is going to end, check all the pixelartist trying to do something for CR1 and then check all the people whining about what I did is garbage and how high is theirs standards ? please remove my version from Git I hope someone else do the grass.
As far as I remember, in TMW there where always more trolls than people that actually doing something. That's just a painful obstacle to the development.
But actually, Merlin was not trolling. Just using too crude words.
(In fact I do not like your grass too :) )

As Art Leader, you are the one who put standards. How heigh they are depend on you.
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

That texture looks better, just double check your palette for a little bit more contrast may be a dark green here and there to balance the things. And the mayor pain on the grass creation, watch for grid lines.

As for the high we can say the charset will be something between 64 to 100 pixels so we can assume a 3rd of the char will be covered by the highest grass that leaves 20 to 30 pixels max. high for the highest grass.

Also remember this is just one tile, once we have color, texture and style the rest of the pixelartists can help you doing all the variations if you feel tired.

I'm not the leader (not anymore AFAIK since the last reassignment) I'm just a contributor as anyone else and I'm just trying to generate some synergy that make this big wheel do at least one spin, then everything will be downhill.

If any of the forums mod's or admin could please move this to TMW CR1 so can be continue there would be good.

Or IvanMorve you can start your own thread in the right location just repost your first tile.
IvanMorve
Novice
Novice

Post by IvanMorve »

New test:
same color, different texture (more pixel friendly).

[edit]
after some grid killing:
Still visible, but I hope we will not map any football ground.

If no objections, I will use this tile as base for an other grass tileset.
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Post by feline monstrosity »

So far I think poison_ivy's grass looks the most like long, wild grass. It's only problem is needing some variety for grid killing.

Ivan's looks more like short, mown grass.

But hey, I'm no artist so feel free to disregard my opinion. :roll:
~Feline Monstrosity
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

The new version is rather flat, good for backyards (if any), parks and city decoration so don't discard it it can be used in many different places.

But so far this version looks better Image and the main reason is the texture, you can see some scattered leaves on it which is nice also have a well done sense of deepness, what I would suggest is to make 3 of this tiles with different positions of the same texture (if that makes sense) that will take care of the grid without loosing the texture.

Remember this one tile won't make a tileset you need variation and is not possible to put variation in one single tile. you need clear patches, darker, transitions, long and short (and all in the middle)
IvanMorve
Novice
Novice

Post by IvanMorve »

New textures:

meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

I like the color pallet used on the bottom one where I like the non griddyness on the top one.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The top one looks really great. The bottom one is not that flashy but definitely adequate. Ground textures shouldn't be that flashy anyway so that the gameplay-relevant objects stand out more.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

Crush wrote:The top one looks really great. The bottom one is not that flashy but definitely adequate. Ground textures shouldn't be that flashy anyway so that the gameplay-relevant objects stand out more.
yes, in fact the top one has a go for the tileset, Ivanmorve will be out for a week or so, but He is going to work this new version.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Good to hear :)

Tell whenever there is an update to make for the dev server.

You can even push updated data in the client data development repository.

Best regards.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Rotonen wrote:the existing confusion about mis-cross-using forums like this for TMW-eA and TMW CR is hopefully coming to an end with the castle walls tileset being done and this thread ending as well.
Castle walls are not done until we can make an octagon shaped structure (we missing the diagonal walls.) I don't think we are quite there yet. As for this thread being over we still need grass to sand,stone,and ect..
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

meway wrote:Castle walls are not done until we can make an octagon shaped structure (we missing the diagonal walls.) I don't think we are quite there yet. As for this thread being over we still need grass to sand,stone,and ect..
Indeed.

Frankly I'm quite busy right now, however I scheduled diagonal walls and byzantine tower for first part of January. IMO those two things are blocking mapping process.

Bottom part of tower will be made with the same material as block walls. Upper one will be a bit different - more byzantine style. Here is dirty concept sketch:
concept.png
concept.png (42.69 KiB) Viewed 4685 times
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi,

bump!

News of the grass tileset, and the diagonal walls missing to complete the academy outdoor map?

Best regards.