New playerset's frames and animation

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

New playerset's frames and animation

Post by Modanung »

Ok, the punching/stabbing animation to the side is almost ready.
Here's how it looks now:

Note these don't have an alpha-layer, which they will have in-game.
Last edited by Modanung on 17 Feb 2006, 14:38, edited 3 times in total.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Shouldn't the fist twist 180 degrees during the punch?
This message used to be meaningful.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Rotonen wrote:Shouldn't the fist twist 180 degrees during the punch?
:roll: Yeah he is right

In my opinion a punch like that won't do any damage, seems not enough powerful, maybe it should be a bit faster, or use more movement of the shoulder.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

I noticed you're using 32 pixels in iwdth while talaroc sprites were using 30. Are those 2 extra pixel necessary? If so tell me so I'll modify the other sprites according to it.

About the animation I think also that to look more a punch animation the arm should go at the same height of the shoulder. We could also think about disabling attacks without weapons? :roll:
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Well if we think about a basic karate punch (I'm not into karate so if I'm wrong, please correct me), it starts from the waist level with your fist clenched and your knuckles down, but ends at your shoulder height with your knuckles up and fist (preferrably) still clenched.

Additionally I'd make the basic punch a combo (the basic 1-2 from boxing, first left, then right). It just makes the whole thing a lot more fluent. In boxing the phenomenon is called jabbing, you first throw a weak punch with your left in order to do maximum damage with your right.

http://www.answers.com/jab especially see the Wikipedia entry there.
This message used to be meaningful.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

ElvenProgrammer wrote:I noticed you're using 32 pixels in iwdth while talaroc sprites were using 30. Are those 2 extra pixel necessary? If so tell me so I'll modify the other sprites according to it.

About the animation I think also that to look more a punch animation the arm should go at the same height of the shoulder. We could also think about disabling attacks without weapons? :roll:
Yes, and maybe it'll be more then 32 pixels. I think it's best to wait for most frames to be ready. Including sword slashing and the like. Then we can see what size all the frames should have, also looking at the pivot.

Disabling attacks would mean no martial arts?
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Adarias
Peon
Peon

Post by Adarias »

Hmm....well for attacks, its common practice to make the frame at least as wide as it is tall, to make room. these attacks to me seem like they are squeezed into their box, which makes them appear weak, and that they are ment to be smooth, which makes them appear slow. Also, i cant help but notice that the head rotation has been cut out.....is there a reason for this? if we dont have angled views of the faces ever, then that means i should only do 4 frames for the heads instead of 8, a significant shift. Basically, all this needs to be figured out in roughs before anybody does useless finished works (like making sets for animations that dont happen)

The simplest remedy i can see is to make it look faster and like it has more punch, by eliminating one of the frames during the punch/thrust. heres a comparisson:

Image Image

Image Image

Also, hats off to Modanug, these frames look terrific

We will i suppose need lots of different animations though, this works great for punch/thrust, but theres slashing movements, and thrusting with a spear or rod, and swinging a spear or rod, firing a bow, etc. maybe a magic but i think that can just use any of the different hand motions, maybe even all of them, changing based on spell? In any event, these look great, and i cant wait until the player set is finished and i can start making clothes, in the meantime im reading the jungle for school and working on hairsets
Jetryl
Novice
Novice

Post by Jetryl »

Looks good.

I reiterate my suggestion, that you guys defer debating whether xyz is good, and just put this and the rest of the playerset into the next release.

It doesn't matter if it's not done, in fact that's good, because it will motivate players to haul some butt on finishing the set - they'll know very quickly what's missing.

This, combined with consistent releases, is what gets things moving...
Last edited by Jetryl on 04 Jan 2006, 11:41, edited 1 time in total.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Jetryl: as I already said when we talked I agree on that, in fact I already made the required changes to add the new playerset. In the next release the new playerset will be in. We will have plenty of time then, to improve it. :D
Jetryl
Novice
Novice

Post by Jetryl »

ElvenProgrammer wrote:Jetryl: as I already said when we talked I agree on that, in fact I already made the required changes to add the new playerset. In the next release the new playerset will be in. We will have plenty of time then, to improve it. :D
:| Do you guys have ... more than one CVS server?

In the past, I'd been looking at this to see if there had been any updates:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/t ... s/sprites/

:D I'll take your word that it'll get done... :P
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

The CVS server is that one. The code change is still in a patch on my computer, not committed yet since I'm waiting to see the other changes about the graphic engine to see if it could become easier.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Ok, did a little work on the shoo-da-arroo-widda-boo-animation.
Here it is so far:

I think the legs needs some work, at least. And some shading corrections in the abdomen and maybe the hand.

But first I'm going to bed, Germany, some meeting, bed again... and probably something else. :)
Adarias
Peon
Peon

Post by Adarias »

the bow looks good so far, though the right arm in the last frame is confusing, it appears toy get quite tiny? there are a few technique things, like how the bow is lowered, hes practicing mounted archery atm. While standing, the bow is dropped in front of the torso straight, and isnt turned in any way, but that anyone who has not studied or practiced archery would notice this is unlikely and this way of turning the bow is cooler-looking, though it also brgins about another technique thing, which is that you only draw a bow that is already raised. the last thing is compltely usesless to mention because of the pixel size, but FYI the arrow is always loaded on the inside of the bow, not the outside, again for accuracy and power and also so as not to let the arrow hit the fingers if you misfire

im wondering if when i get back to my dad's house friday i should just go out back and take some mpegs to demonstrate.......i need to buy myself new arrows as most of mine are old and the fletchings frayed, and many are bent from hitting the target board too hard...but they will do for demonstration My bows are both lightweight wooden recurves, so basically what the game would also have only painted red......
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

My opinion: maybe it would look better if the legs stand still in the final position, this should work better with transition from standing position to attack position. To add a bit of power to the attack maybe you could move the arm just a pixel backward after the release.

Anyway very nice. Good boy! :wink:
Adarias
Peon
Peon

Post by Adarias »

ElvenProgrammer wrote:To add a bit of power to the attack maybe you could move the arm just a pixel backward after the release.
if you are talking about the archer then i think you mean forward lol not backward