New playerset's frames and animation

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Fern
Novice
Novice

Re: New playerset's frames and animation

Post by Fern »

I agree with Crush.
Also, if the shields are ever intended to be shown then the 2 handed version wouldn't work.

I think that Pauan Last version looked quite good.
Pauan wrote: How it might end up looking to a player (if accepted):
The backslash animation could be nice for some fast weapons like daggers and such, the movement would be so fast that it would look like a single stab attack anyway and would make the movement more fluid.

Would someone give a try on side and back versions?
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Fern wrote:I agree with Crush.
Also, if the shields are ever intended to be shown then the 2 handed version wouldn't work.

I think that Pauan Last version looked quite good.
Pauan wrote: How it might end up looking to a player (if accepted):
The backslash animation could be nice for some fast weapons like daggers and such, the movement would be so fast that it would look like a single stab attack anyway and would make the movement more fluid.

Would someone give a try on side and back versions?

I approve.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

I was going to post a review of the entire thread, but after I looked through this thread, it already had one review in it (and is really long). Also, though there are a few other ideas on how slashing animation should look, this last one has been the favored animation throughout the thread. I think it would be wise to push this one forward as the slashing animation to be completed.
Current character is "Abolish".
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

The way I've interpreted the uses of animation, the dagger, bone knife, short sword and setzer would keep the stabbing animation. These are all normally used primarily as stabbing weapons in combat.

"Slashing" would involve longer bladed weapons like broad swords and axes and perhaps also swinging blunt weapons like warhammers and maces. There could also be alternative uses for the animations, like how the scythe uses the stabbing animation to slash low. I could see the "slashing" animation used for throwing weapons, like boomerangs and javelins.

The big part is getting the slashing animation done and then fixing the equipment so it works with the slashing animation. If that doesn't happen, then I don't see how we could design weapons to use the slashing animation, let alone put slashing animation into the game.

Of course someone else could confirm this that's more involved..
Current character is "Abolish".
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

Wombat wrote:The big part is getting the slashing animation done and then fixing the equipment so it works with the slashing animation. If that doesn't happen, then I don't see how we could design weapons to use the slashing animation, let alone put slashing animation into the game.

Of course someone else could confirm this that's more involved..
I'm just a distant observer here (so take what I say with a grain of salt), but I believe we're just waiting for somebody to do the side and top animations.

(I'd tackle it myself, but I've been busy and haven't done any art stuff in a long time.)