New playerset's frames and animation

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

ziolive
Peon
Peon

Post by ziolive »

I prefer the first version.

But i'm wondering about stuff:
Like you said, with that kind of swing you will have to draw the four frames for all available weapons and stuff, so it might be a live time work to draw all the frames (seens your swing involve some body mouvements, you'll might have to draw it for all available cloth too). Plus, if you want to add a fifth frame one day to the mouvement you'll have to add it for all the stuff.

In my opinion it will be easiest to create 6 movements, and use them for all the weapons and add movement effects (with quick animation) like i'have sent to another post :

and it's possible to use SDL for generate this effects.
TMW use SDL, which make many effects availables (ligth, blur, vibrations, explosion, particules etc...)

I can send simple exemples if you want
Last edited by ziolive on 13 Sep 2006, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
Ziolive
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

If you have ever played SoM and know we're going to have a similar combat system in the future you'll understand why we prefer such an animation.
See: TMW Wiki on the Realtime Action Combat Protocol and TMW Wiki on different weapons

Ziolive, I'm not sure what you mean. But I think most frames of this animation can be reused for other weapons (axe, spear, boomerang).
Quick boomerang example:
[EDIT] And the spear example:
This one might need another frame. But what I'm trying to show is these frames can be pretty much reused. And because I used a bone model as a base I expect this to be the case in all direction.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Luneenia
Peon
Peon

Post by Luneenia »

deadly boomerangs....NEATO!
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

i think that spear should be two-handed or thrown weapon , while this is a "lance" imho
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Modanung, could you show animations of the bone model in other directions than down? I also think it is important to first draw similar frames for those before finishing the downwards attack.

It's nice to see the high level of reusability for different weapons.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Bjørn wrote:Modanung, could you show animations of the bone model in other directions than down?
Sure, I'll render them when I get to it. I must admit I havn't checked if it looks ok rendered under the same angle.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Here are the bones of all frames:
(Click to enlarge)
ziolive
Peon
Peon

Post by ziolive »

Wow ! wow ! wow ! :shock:

You have too many frames for one move !!
Can you imagine the number of frames you will have to do for all the weapons (sword, two-hands sword, two swords, whip, archery etc...) and multiplicate by 3 (for the 4 directions) !

And after, for each stuff, you will have to do it again !!! :shock:

here a (very quick) exemple of what i have spoken before (for animation) :

For this animation i make just 4 frames for this character and i use blur effect.
Imagine the same animation with good effects, done with transparency, particule animation, explosion light etc... (SDL do that) and add big sound.

And it will be easier to create stuff or new weapons...
Ziolive
BadMrBox
Warrior
Warrior

Post by BadMrBox »

Ouch... I'm sorry to say this but with all due respect Modanung - I clearly dislike that set :(. That attack doesn't look quite sane... :( I mean, the character is nearly on the ground when attacking. How much power would one get in an such attack while trying not to loose the balance? :P
Last edited by BadMrBox on 13 Sep 2006, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Ziolive, as you can see in my pre-pre-previous post these frames are pretty reusable.
Nice animation though :)
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

BadMrBox wrote:Ouch... I'm sorry to say this but with all due respect Modanung - I clearly dislike that set :(. That attack doesn't look quite sane... :( I mean, the character is nearly on the ground when attacking. How much power would one get in an such attack while trying not to loose the balance? :P
i agree, in real world he would surely fall to the ground. He should aim a little bit higher than now and don't stretch forward so much IMHO
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Does anybody read what I post here? I made them FIT IN the future area of attack of the sword so they can be used for the future combat system. I think you just have to see it animated (as I still have to as well), it would look more odd if the sword didn't pass through that area. Then you would hit monsters the sword didn't pass through by far.
Anyway, you'll see how it turns out.
ziolive
Peon
Peon

Post by ziolive »

One important thing in a 2D opensource mmorpg is the possibility to add many contents easily by users like stuff.

Your animation are very beautiful but on the archery (with walk) you have done 72 frames, on the last sword anim you have done 21 frames. If you had two-hand sword, whip, two swords, you finish with 150 frames. Even if you reduce to 120 it's too many !
it will be impossible to add hundred of stuffs, clothings... in the game or you will pay a corean team :D
And a mmorpg is very exciting if you have many many stuff, many weapons, skills etc...

Have you decided the maximum number of frames to create for the characters ?

If you do 30 frames by characters for exemple :
- each stuff will be very easy to create,
- idem for each weapon,
- create a new race will be easier too.
Ziolive
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

ziolive, you should have noticed that creating reuseable frames is modanungs top priority for planning the new attack animations.

About the maximum number of frames: we have to find a compromise between fluent animations and saving work. Of course we could use 2 or 3 phase animations for all actions, but it would just look bad. We are striving for a higher quality level than the other free 2d mmorpgs.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Down anim is ready!
Image Image Image Image
Yes, the shield template may use some work... it's very wobbely in the sword anim.