[CPT] Modanung's monster ideas

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

pateame

[CPT] Modanung's monster ideas

Post by pateame »

I was lurking in the forgotten stuff and I found the following Modanung's concept art:
Herbagressor: ImageLongjhon: Image

I wish to know if these monster are adaptable to guideliness and storyline.
Also some suggestions to work on a full spritesheet (or what time lets me do)
as attack type, movement, fixes/upgrades/palettes for landscapes, etc).
A preview idea:

EDIT: Also added Modanung packer monster from:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/M ... packer.jpg
Last edited by pateame on 23 Dec 2010, 03:25, edited 4 times in total.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Re: Working on Modanung Concepts

Post by skipy »

imo the #1 problem with thees is the perspective (sept the Longjhon seems to be ok)..
as i have been told by other artiest --->you should be able to see the top of the head in the side frames ..here is a demo of what im trying to say(just a demo)..

other thin perspective...thees are grate mobs imo...and would love to see some one get them done :mrgreen:

-----------skipy
Attachments
ideasdemo 1.png
ideasdemo 1.png (6.84 KiB) Viewed 7649 times
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

I remember Matt posting this concepts before the quality is good and texture but the challenge is fix the perspective, right now you have a frontal view. SO pretty much you have a palette and good concept but you need to start from scratch, well that's what we concluded the last time.

After that attack and dead frames are required.

Regards
pateame

Post by pateame »

Thanks for the demo and suggestions guys. I Need some practice to can understand it.
As example I took Mouboo spritesheet to identify some paterns (¿Did mouboo have good or bad perspective on side views?...
it's confusing for me, brain damage is done. I just add '4 legs and 2 eyes' on side views in the following sketchs trying to apply that (also a demo of course :P)

ImageImage
ImageImage
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

brain will grow back, mine did... i think :? ..

Mouboo spritesheet perspective is good imo ..but keep in mind the mouboo is not as wide as the "rino" ...
in facing view the muoboo is about 32 pixel wide (1 tile) ...and the "rino" 64 pixel i think(2 tiles)

things you should see on the side view -the top of head all of.. top of back 3/4 of?....top of far legs 3/4 of ?....
and look at where the far legs land when it walks ...legs fall on the tile they are standing on...

what you have done is a great start ...keep going on this please :mrgreen:
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
pateame

Post by pateame »

I'm still a bit confused with the front view and Im not able to visualize the correct way to draw it.
Sure a 3D model or a clay figurine can help, but I´m not an artist. There's a example of the problem I have:
As monsters are more wide and long, on front view lots of details stay hidden as back legs and tail.
(If someone have a similar spritesheet or can draw it as example to learn, it will be great)
Meanwhile, I will try to draw side views. There's a sketch of packer monster:
ImageImage
Last edited by pateame on 07 Dec 2010, 01:15, edited 2 times in total.
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

I did try to make a figure in top 45 deg perspective side view but I don't have my tablet so is a very simple shape just to give you an idea (sort of, darn I forgot how to do it with the mouse),

Is not perfect but the detail I want to reinforce is the legs, and the top center body, see the line ? that line it should be the top of the back towards the front (yours have the top back right at the very top) and the legs at the far side are not completely visible because the body cover a good part of them (yours are visible underneath the body which is not possible in a top 45 deg view) , in the head you should be able to see almost the whole "face" at least part of the second eye and a portion of the far ear.

Your front view is pretty close to the correct perspective, keep working on it you'll get it.

Regards
pateame

Post by pateame »

Thanks for share that example. Again, I'm starting from scratch, but now I have a clearer mind (I hope so).
I was only focused on perspective, but now I realize that shading and colors also help to define the shape.
There's a preview sketch of how it look after re-draw:
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

yeaah ... :twisted: going good as i see..
your perspective is great ...i but a other thing to keep in mine is ===>> there is not just one perspective in tmw ..
most tiles are at 45 and lots of monsters are at around 30..lots of people will yeah at me (maybe) for subjecting this but...why not try for 37 perspective :| .....

1/2 why between sketch2 and re-draw imo

keep going on the good work---------skipy

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

@Pateame: I think you are going in the right direction I would suggest keep going Image
I see a huge improvement in your way of work from the first post so this is a learning pocess and you are doing right.

Regards
pateame

Post by pateame »

Im also trying to fix the 'packer' monster. Here's how it looks after re-draw (without shading):
I will try to advance on all proposed monsters at same time, and It's time for jhon too:
Image - Preview sketch of Longjhon walking: (¿any different proposal?, ¿like a kangaroo?)
Now that I re-draw the original concepts, its important to clarify that my goal isn't to own/steal modanung's ideas.
I just want to share this process to let other people learn from my mistakes (a lot).
¿Will be those monsters finished on TMW someday?. Don't ask that now, I'm having fun!
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

@pateame: in regards of the original work, for instance, LongJhon please just add the tag to the file and put your name and modanung's name and all ok.

As for the drawings I like the way the Packer is going so keep it on, so far so good.

The animation in LongJhon requires a bit more work, let say:

1. The beginning and the end of the animation needs more frames (at least 2 or 3) than in the middle.
Let me explain, when a body moves always needs to push from static pose and that means initiate a movement takes more energy than keep it going so the first part should be slow and also to stop the body you need to stop the synergy so will take some time to stop.

2. Draw a reference line for the floor, this will help you to avoid the effect that the floor is moving not LongJ

3. Use reference points for the body, knees, ankles, elbows, neck, feet are reference points, if you need to flex the leg, don't move the feet away just bend it in its tip, then the knee is always connected so you lower and rise a bit to follow and support the movement, and the rest of the body goes up and down according to this effect.

Regards
pateame

Post by pateame »

Having a lot of free time on vacations... I was playing with "not toxic" clay and using a bad quality webcam on this experiment:
damm, looks like a kinder homework, but was really fun to try different techniques.
The good side... at least I can play with them without need of do a spritesheet and write XML to see their actions. The bad side, as you can see, I have few 'clay ingots' avaliable :lol:
Last edited by pateame on 13 Dec 2010, 02:05, edited 3 times in total.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

lol...way over the top ...good job ..

it may help with lighting and shading if you paint them white..

-------- :lol: :mrgreen: :wink: ----skipy

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

@pateame: the four red and blue small images are perfect to model your final shape, open the image in GIMP create a new layer on top and draw the outlines I'm pretty sure you can have it done easy. Well done you got a nice idea and worked.

Regards