[REQ] icons for skills

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

gor
Newly Registered User

Re: [REQ] icons for skills

Post by gor »

poison_ivy wrote: Gor, your tree icon represents nature quite well (though, as with the leaf, it has nothing to do with magic).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_tree_worship
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yggdrasil
poison_ivy wrote: Do you think you could give it a border and shading the same as mine and we can see what it looks like then?
i modified it, i post two versions, one is only darker

enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

It's looking quite nice. There are a few too many shades, but it's not bad. Not as simplistic as those I made, though I guess that doesn't matter (I could make mine less so, anyway).
I made it match the shading and border of mine:
Zutan
Novice
Novice

Post by Zutan »

I like the sparkles used in the magic icon, the wand however suggests parlour tricks instead of wielding magic. I am not explaining this well I think, thoughts of magic items vs magic abilities come to mind. Might make for a good skill for using the sparklock better.

Perhaps a hand palm up, with the sparkles and some wisps, or the aggressive fingers spread with power beams shooting from them. I am trying to explain power/magic coming from the user.
natsuki3
Novice
Novice

Post by natsuki3 »

which icons are needed ?
Its blue like the sea.
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

We need a full set of new icons in a matching style: Emote, Trade, Party, Magic, War Magic, Life Magic, Transmutation Magic, Nature Magic, Astral Magic, Astral Soul, Resist Poison, Speed, Mallard's Eye, and Brawling.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Just tried to improve the current poison skill icon which looks blurry to me. I removed the AA for now to focus on the icon itself, i'll add it when it'll be considered fully improved.
resistpoison.png
resistpoison.png (2.25 KiB) Viewed 3604 times
Ali-G
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

I decided to take enchilado's work and finish it. All the skill icons are made. I have them separatly on my computer but I made a single image to post on forum, that is easier.

Order:
Emote - Trade - Party - Magic - Life Magic - War Magic - Transmutation Magic - Nature Magic - Astral Magic - Focusing Skills - Mallard's Eye Skill - Brawling Skill - Speed Skill - Resist Poison Skill - Astral Soul Skill - Raging Skill
all.png
all.png (14.74 KiB) Viewed 3575 times
Comments:
  • The last tab of the skills window is called "Skills", could we rename it to "Focus", that would be better to me.
  • The Focus Skills all have "Skill" at the end whereas the other ones don't. Could we please remove them?
Hope I helped,
Ali-G
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

I think the current icons are better (in general) that those stick-figure drawings.

If there is a drive to make them uniform, they should only be made uniform within each category.

It would be nicer if you post them all in one image, if you put the separate kinds in separate rows.

About tab name and names within the tab:
i kind of think the current method thinks toward the fact that these must be activated. But I agree that calling the tab "Focus" and removing the word "Skill" from all except "Focusing Skills" would be an improvement.
Is there a better name for "Focusing Skills", though? "Focusable Skills" or "Focusable skill count"?
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

o11c wrote:I think the current icons are better (in general) that those stick-figure drawings.
IMO it fits well the new graphics of tmw, and you will get every icons with the same style, because the current one aren't all made by the same personn and so, with the same style...
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Reid wrote:IMO it fits well the new graphics of tmw
I don't really understand that... was that ironic because these icons are not great pieces of art?
Reid wrote:, and you will get every icons with the same style, because the current one aren't all made by the same personn and so, with the same style...
Totally agreed. I finished enchilado's work because I thought we could have exact same icons for the skills and that if we get a new skill, it will be very easy to make a new icon.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Ali-G wrote:I don't really understand that... was that ironic because these icons are not great pieces of art?
No, because it's made in pixel art, with low quality indeed but it fit your new graphism. (ie: the new candy icons, and lizandra artworks)
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Reid wrote:(ie: the new candy icons, and lizandra artworks)
With you saying that, I understand that our art is getting worse...
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

We are talking about skill icons here. They are meant to be iconic. Making them too fancy would just be distracting.

That being said, I think that some icons (emote, trade, magic, transmute...) put too much focus on the character and too less on the essential part - what it is doing.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
yubabax116
Warrior
Warrior

Post by yubabax116 »

Ali-G wrote:I decided to take enchilado's work and finish it. All the skill icons are made. I have them separatly on my computer but I made a single image to post on forum, that is easier.

Order:
Emote - Trade - Party - Magic - Life Magic - War Magic - Transmutation Magic - Nature Magic - Astral Magic - Focusing Skills - Mallard's Eye Skill - Brawling Skill - Speed Skill - Resist Poison Skill - Astral Soul Skill - Raging Skill
all.png
Comments:
  • The last tab of the skills window is called "Skills", could we rename it to "Focus", that would be better to me.
  • The Focus Skills all have "Skill" at the end whereas the other ones don't. Could we please remove them?
Hope I helped,
Ali-G
Seriously? i think the icons that are already in the game are much better then these. Dont change something good for something much less.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭ ♮ ❤Quiet And Enj0:00Y The  Music ❤ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭
Yubaba
Chicka-Maria
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

This is how I would have done the icon for magic. Move the character to the side, put the magic he is doing in the center and give it more room.
magic.png
magic.png (1.97 KiB) Viewed 3508 times
Additionally I would suggest to have some kind of visual difference between social skills, combat skills and magic skills. Either by making them different shapes or by using different colors for them.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.