[REQ] Thermin Art

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

[REQ] Thermin Art

Post by Wombat »

The city of Thermin is to the west of Nivalis in Kaizei. Its inhabitants include: Human and dwarven people. Thermin has defended their town from the native Yeti and other dangerous monsters.

For ages, the people of Thermin mined the precious firerock below the city. Several years ago, the miners released some poisonous gas while they were mining a new area, forcing them to flee the mine. Not wanting to give up the town, they collaborated together on ways to not just re-enter the mine, but to also defend the town from the Yeti. In the end, they advanced several forms of technology to succeed at this task.

Already done: Bowler hat, top hat, monocle, gas mask, wheellock pistol, clockwork armor-wearing NPC, gasmask-wearing NPC

Need: Barbarian NPCs (needed for the general area, but barbarian traders sometimes come into town to trade furs for goods), Dwarf NPCs, Human NPCs (winter weather clothing helpful), Sages of Kaizei (Santa Claus styled clothing, with unique features to what they wear), Human NPCs (steampunk), Firerock (an item fire lizards will drop).
Current character is "Abolish".
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: [REQ] Thermin Art

Post by Alige »

I'll take the firework work. It is on my to-do list right now.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Though fireworks weren't on the list, they'd be a nice compliment to the pistol and would be interesting as a semi-powerful rare consumable weapon.

For that matter, we also need gunpowder and "pistol ammo" (icon with gunpowder and shot). This may not be "true" steampunk in that, like other fantasy genre's, we can borrow a few themes, but make the technology reliant on magic to function. This is more a content development point, but figured I'd outline this in case people were wondering about technology and fantasy in TMW and how far we plan to take it. The answer is: not very far.
salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Post by salmondine »

Oh Yeah! I want a bottle rocket crossbow!

[WIP] other versions coming....Image
Steampunk
Not finished...love to hear new ideas for elements here.
[edit]
[/edit] *still not a finished npc

Reid asked about animation on this...I think barrel gauge could bounce and green liquid could move in hose?
maybe a particle effect on smoke stack...
opinions?
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Here what can be moving.
steamy.png
steamy.png (7.28 KiB) Viewed 18130 times
1) Steam goes out
2) Arrow turning like a clock
3) thing on the hat turn
4) liquid moving

thats all
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

If you want, give me the npc, and I will do an animation with this, I got many idea. :twisted:
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Post by salmondine »

You got it! Reid I was hoping you would say exactly that!
Can't wait to see what you animate =]
kinwa
Novice
Novice

Post by kinwa »

things seem to have front view perspective
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

Dwarves?
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

kinwa wrote:things seem to have front view perspective
:roll:
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Hello Wombat

Just a suggestion, but would it be possible to call the dwarfs something else? When we had the game backstory meetings a few years ago we all agreed that we would like to avoid the typical cliche fantasy races (elf, dwarf, orc) and try to make our own. I still think that this is not a bad idea.

The miners can have any characteristics you need for your backstory, but just by not calling them dwarfs and maybe giving them one or two characteristics uncommon for standard tolkien dwarfes you would add a lot more originality.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

I am open to ideas on a new NPC snowland race that isn't necessarily dwarven nor carry those characteristics. It would be a mining race with an inherent resistance to poison. This poison resistance could've came before or after exposure to the poison gas in the mine.

If someone makes me some dwarves, I'll take them and we can come up with an alternative name for them later. For me, I enjoy steam punk with dwarven or gnomish engineering involved when I mix it with fantasy. Hopefully we can find a fun middle ground that doesn't seem too conventional or boring.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

WoW gnomish style? I like it, we need gnomes' technology in tmw :p
Btw, new races are a great idea :mrgreen:
What about new playable races?

TMW Team member

Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Dwarves are now "Therminors". Name chosen based on them being native people to Thermin. The people take the name from the contrast of the ever hot rocks they collect from the mines to the cold temperatures they live in (they bring heat to the world). A slight red tint to the skin, squat stature for being largely underground for eons and a hardy voice that can be heard well through the echoes of caves define this race.
salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Post by salmondine »

Image FireStone
Polished in the gizzard of a fire lizard.