[REQ] Thermin Art

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: [REQ] Thermin Art

Post by Alige »

I like the wooden ground style, please improve it and make walls that correspond to it and to the exterior town tileset. Great job :)
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

Are these floor or wall tiles? The grey, metallic one at the top is used as a wall in the last picture, which is good because its harsh (ish) contrast isn't the best for a floor, against which objects should stand out more. It's a little sketchy, but not particularly bad.

The wooden planks look at first like they only use two shades, but on closer inspection there are five. I think they would benefit from using one or two less shades - one of medium darkness, slightly less than halfway between the dark and the light, would take away the rough look that it has somewhat (rough as in roughly drawn, not roughly made). Maybe something like this - I merged two dark colours into one lighter one:

I'm also not sure where the lightsource is supposed to be coming from here - it almost looks as though it's straight up from the top of the picture, meaning that if it's a floor the sun is setting and if it's a wall it's directly overhead. The lightsource is in the South-West, so each plank will be lit much the same across its surface.

The mix of wood and metal in a diagonal pattern is interesting, but the way they are arranged in vertical stripes doesn't look so good. The lightsource is also very unclear in these.

The contrast in these tiles is possibly too high for floor tiles as well. They look okay, though (if a bit repetitive; possibly a few variations would break this up). The use of the pale blue, though - I'm not sure what it's supposed to be, but it's very flat because you've only used one shade.

The black mess looks interesting, but what is it?

The top of the wall is also very sketchy, as though it was drawn hurriedly. The straight sides of it aren't straight, either. Note also that the outsides of buildings only need a front (unless they have objects protruding from them).
lien
Warrior
Warrior

Post by lien »

poison_ivy wrote:Image

Are these floor or wall tiles? The grey, metallic one at the top is used as a wall in the last picture, which is good because its harsh (ish) contrast isn't the best for a floor, against which objects should stand out more. It's a little sketchy, but not particularly bad.

The wooden planks look at first like they only use two shades, but on closer inspection there are five. I think they would benefit from using one or two less shades - one of medium darkness, slightly less than halfway between the dark and the light, would take away the rough look that it has somewhat (rough as in roughly drawn, not roughly made). Maybe something like this - I merged two dark colours into one lighter one:
the colors on the wooden planks are the same than the outside tileset, that why some colors looks strange on a wooden tile.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

You shouldn't use the same color palette for indoor and outdoor.

When I made the woodland village tilesets I intentionally decided to use darker and duller colors for the indoor tiles than the outdoor tiles, because I wanted to give the impression of having bright sunshine outdoors and less light indoors.

But in case of Thermin, you might go the other way: a cold and harsh outdoor and a warm and comfortable indoor.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
tmwTroLL007
Novice
Novice

Post by tmwTroLL007 »

Zitornic Ore, to be used in the Bromenal metal alloy (other metal: Crozenite) for making Bromenal equipment (formerly Brass Equipment).
Attachments
zitornic ore
zitornic ore
zincore.png (819 Bytes) Viewed 5572 times
tmwTroLL007
Novice
Novice

Post by tmwTroLL007 »

Oily Towel
Attachments
oily-towel.png
oily-towel.png (661 Bytes) Viewed 5526 times
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

I dunno...this thing is a piece of junk.
Attachments
some twisted junk
some twisted junk
spring.png (522 Bytes) Viewed 5509 times
Current character is "Abolish".
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

I made some attempts at improving these, but I'm not sure how much better they actually are (if at all).

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

lien wrote:
MerlinX420 wrote:
Attachement wrote:merlintherminedit.png [ 122.54 KiB | Viewed 27 times ]
cough cough....

=>taken from this tileset...
Those weren't "taken" from that tileset. I used those as an example of how to draw what I wanted. I might have followed the example a little to closely and pixeled mine the same way. I did NOT copy and paste any of that to the ones I made. I know arguing the fact is pointless, but I thought I might just clear that up for the record. I haven't stopped by here in awhile and will not be continuing anything tmw related. In game I was told that nothing I've done or worked on will be submitted.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

I'd rather you move away from RPGMaker as in influence. I didn't issue any such command about rejecting all your work, but you have repeated this problem and it is difficult to trust your art. You can still submit art, but it would be scrutinized a great deal due to these repeated errors. I won't stop you from overcoming this problem, if that was what you wanted. I highly recommend you throw all your RPGMaker content (including TAW content) in the dumpster, if so.
Current character is "Abolish".
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

a easy way around this is to show your work as you build it...this can also stop problems before they are big problems.....this may mean more posting along the way..

oh and btw i like your art x420 and think you could add to this game a lot..but SHOW YOUR WORK...
((words i never wanted to say :x ...thank not i feel like a 3d graid teacher :x :lol: :wink: ))

----skipy
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
lien
Warrior
Warrior

Post by lien »

I did 2 others tiles for the wooden planks floor.

with the Enchilado's colors

EDIT:
and tried to do an wall
Last edited by lien on 30 Jun 2011, 10:40, edited 1 time in total.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

lien, that is getting good.

The thing is that I need a full interior set for Thermin. That means that the walls need to match the outside, that the floor is a bit different from the walls, i'd like wooden planks for the floor. I also need some fringe item that of course you could take from other tilesets of TMW. If we want to move forward, we should maybe focus on the whole tileset instead of proposing some floors.

Best regards,
Ali-G
Flenix
Peon
Peon

Post by Flenix »

Also, for the Termin Area that is in a winter area
should you add winter fluffy as monster. :mrgreen:

do you know why winter fluffy are almost in blue ? Neither do I.
I'm the best fluffy
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Flenix wrote:Also, for the Termin Area that is in a winter area
should you add winter fluffy as monster. :mrgreen:

do you know why winter fluffy are almost in blue ? Neither do I.
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... =5&t=13174