[WIP] making a shadow mob

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

[WIP] making a shadow mob

Post by nmaligec »

I thought that a new mob that is literally a shadow might fit well in the lower parts of the crypt. I wasn't sure how it should look though and wanted some ideas before making a req in the graphics forum.

Do people think that a solid black version of the current player sprite sheet will look good, or lame?

Are there alternative ideas on how to do a shadow monster?

Instead of a flat, 1 colour object, would it look better if it had highlights and hints at volume? This might make it look better.

comments/ideas will be very appreciated.
Last edited by nmaligec on 01 Feb 2011, 07:14, edited 1 time in total.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: [DIS] making a shadow mob

Post by Crush »

A shadow monster is indeed pretty easy to make because it requires no shading and only minimal level of detail, but just using the silhouette of the playerset is just a bit too cheap, in my opinion. How about giving the shadow a more monster-like form? Here an example from Chrono Trigger how I would picture the shape of a shadow monster:

Here is a mob of shadow monsters from Planescape:Torment. Although definitely not the TMW art style I really like their take on the subject regarding shape design, color and hinting volume through highlights:
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Modanung and tmw-br worked in a ghost-shadow mob, it will be really good for the crypt and it look like that it's what you want. (I don't got it right now, you should ask them or search...)
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

started playing with the idea.....and got this so far.
---skipy
Attachments
shadow-working.png
shadow-working.png (3.06 KiB) Viewed 5513 times
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

Well here is my lame attempt at it, using just a blackened player sprite. Maybe it will look better with proper highlights or even just giving it glowing eyes.

The key features of this mob were that it be:
1. easy to pixel
2. look subtle and blend into the background (seems to look best on the light background below)

If you have to spend more than 4 hours on this, it might be better to go with a totally different type of mob and not be restricted by how a shadow should look.
Attachments
here it is on diff tiles, at a much lower opacity
here it is on diff tiles, at a much lower opacity
shadow backgrounds.png (13.91 KiB) Viewed 5491 times
I should have set the opacity to 50 instead of 75.
I should have set the opacity to 50 instead of 75.
shadow.gif (35.52 KiB) Viewed 5491 times
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

i like your idea alot more ...a small glowing eyes. would make it work well imo ...as lots of us have said "less is more" :mrgreen: ....

@nmaligec----do you still need a sprite sheet of this or are you all set ? :twisted:

-----skipy
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Post by salmondine »

I have been killed by unseen monsters for years now...the deadliest in tmw.
I suggest we name this Mob "The Lag" =]
Really like the idea.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

salmondine wrote:I have been killed by unseen monsters for years now...the deadliest in tmw.
I suggest we name this Mob "The Lag" =]
Really like the idea.
best name for a mob EVER ....

-----skipy
Attachments
the-lag-sheet.png
the-lag-sheet.png (74.2 KiB) Viewed 5470 times

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

skipy wrote:Image
I like this approach much better than the image filter jobs of the player sprites.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

wraith / shade

Post by nmaligec »

Here is a mock up of how I envisioned the skeletal version would attack. This version works better for a diff mob concept I had where it would be barely visible when standing, ~25% visible when walking and then possibly the opacity lvls as in the demo below.
wraith.gif
wraith.gif (7.24 KiB) Viewed 5450 times
If possible I would still like to get a separate shadow mob. If no one likes the player sprite version I proposed and if no one else comes up with a good solution, then it will have to be canceled.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: [WIP] making a shadow mob

Post by Crush »

While it might be tempting to create a "cloaked" mob by making its sprite barely visible when idle, it will just result in players using ManaPlus to make it more visible by showing its position with an ugly rectangle. Please always keep in mind that the job of the game graphics is to visualize what is going on in the game, and not to conceal it.

I also like the attack concept, but I am a bit worried if you will manage to synchronize it that well with the sprite of the player characters in practice.
  • NOT a game master

nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

no way to hide mobs from clients

Post by nmaligec »

Even with the 0.0.29 client, players can just hit the 'x' key to target nearest mobs. I am aware of the fact that it will not be concealed from players. It is more for a style than a game mechanic. If some ppl couldn't care less for the atmosphere I am trying to set in the crypt, then they can use settings to ruin the effect. However, I am trying to target the average player who I hope will appreciate the novelty and creepy effect of ghostly apparitions hunting them.
salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Post by salmondine »

I use control + a ...but nothing can hide from auto target.....fighting as an archer these keys are constantly depressed.
so no matter what the final form, it will be inside targeted animated ring symbol,
Even if 100% transparent, I wouldn't like a 100% transparent mob, just saying.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

It would be cool to make the death animation of the mob to spawn this other creature. give the shadow itself a low attack and defense. when it is attacked this thing come out.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

just 1 layer---skipy
Attachments
wraith-base.png
wraith-base.png (3.05 KiB) Viewed 5400 times

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido