New Bushes...

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Techsetsu
Novice
Novice

New Bushes...

Post by Techsetsu »

I don't know if you all would like these better, but here are a edit of the bushes in Tulimshar. I basically made some color tweaks, resized them a bit (to add anti-aliasing) and gave them some noise.

New version:

Old version:

In game:

I saved the .xcf file (multi-layered gimp file) so I can switch out the desert tiles when the change happens and the shadow & whatnot won't be affected.

What do you all think? :?:
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

they may look much better now, but i am not sure if anti aliasing was the right thing to do from the stylistic point of view. no tile or sprite uses anti aliasing at the moment. it could be a big break in style when some objects got anti aliasing and others not. (yes, i know. the current tmw graphics are full of breaks in style. but we want to fix that over time).

but on the other hand it doesn't look that bad. we should maybe consider to use the same technique on all objects. could you tell us what program you used and a step by step description how you did it?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Crush wrote:...could you tell us what program you used and a step by step description how you did it?
Techsetsu wrote:I saved the .xcf file (multi-layered gimp file)...
Techsetsu wrote:I basically made some color tweaks, resized them a bit (to add anti-aliasing) and gave them some noise.
Seems clear to me.

Eventhough I like it better then the old ones... I don't think this is the right way to do it. This shouls be a temoral solution. The resizing makes them look more blurred then anti-aliased.
About the fact you put them in a different layer. That's good, but I think objects like these are perfect to be put in the fringe layer, alpha layered with the floor tile seperate. This way the bushes (and other tile-objects) can be put on any type of ground without taking extra space in tilesets and memory.

Anti-aliasing is an a-ok thing to do, as long is it is done the right way and adds something to the sprite... which it usually does.
And drawing a sprite slightly to big and rescaling it a little bit is NOT the right way to do it.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

But this is a fine example of user initiative, we need a lot of user initiative so don't be crushed by the critique. I hope more of you users would have the heart to step out of your userness into the wonderful world of contributors. At least I'll be welcoming you (this doesn't still mean I'll automatically like everything you produce, for that you have to work hard, probably).

If you're crushed, just do it again n+1 times until you're accepted.
This message used to be meaningful.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

it looks too blured to me. maybe i will work on some new bushes. those are really too sharp. anyway pixelart shouldnt be blured.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Rotonen wrote:If you're crushed, just do it again n+1 times until you're accepted.
You mean "Just crush back with utter crap"? :)

Ofcourse Techsetsu, what Rotonen said... user initiative goooood.

And I agree with I(ru), and I hope he knows the big difference between blurring and anti-aliasing. :)
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Modanung wrote:
Techsetsu wrote:I basically made some color tweaks, resized them a bit (to add anti-aliasing) and gave them some noise.
Seems clear to me.
But when we would want to apply the same effect to all tiles, we would have to know how much "a bit" resizing was and with which filter options (none, linear or bilinear). otherwise it wouldn't look the same.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

I like the old ones more :(
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

I also prefer without the blur. I do agree the bushes could use some improvement, but this is not it in my opinion.
Techsetsu
Novice
Novice

Post by Techsetsu »

Well obviously the little bushes aren't good. They were too blurred.

Pixel art is not my forte so I am not crushed by critique. I like the way the first bush turned out a lot. And the middle one. I think they should stay. I really do feel like something need to be done about the little bushes though. In both versions, they don't really have any depth to them. And the dead version of the big plant.

I make futuristic tilesets... I am not so used to organic shapes. :D

On a side note, they look much better on this tile!
HaLLanHype
Novice
Novice

Post by HaLLanHype »

new ones look kinda dull or somethin

but look ok in game