Free Art License

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Free Art License

Post by Crush »

As you know the TMW Project is licensed under the GNU GPL.

The problem of the GPL is that it is focused on software and many phrases don't work very well for art. what would mean to "provide the sourcecode" of a picture for example?

so i would like to discuss the theoretical and practical posibility of putting the artistical contend of tmw under a different license that has the spirit of the GPL but that is more suitable for art.

an art license that is very similar to the GPL is the Free Art License:

http://artlibre.org/licence/lal/en
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

I agree it could fit artistic content better than GPL
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Artists, please respond.

I think this one should be up to you do discuss and and agree upon, together.

Perhaps we should try to have a meeting soon-ish? (On this and other stuff.)
This message used to be meaningful.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Well, it sounds pretty obvious to me.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

Well done, Crush. Once again you provide a crucial upgrade to the Mana World development. Lucky to have ya.
i agree wholeheartedly with that license's statement. If only some record companies i know of could adopt it. Ha ha ha
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

the question is if it is possible to put the executable under license A and the contend under license B and put them together in the same package.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

Crush wrote:the question is if it is possible to put the executable under license A and the contend under license B and put them together in the same package.
why not different packages with different licensing? So we can install updates without having to reinstall the source code? do you think it would be useful?
Lv.: Maggot
Please, read the FAQ before posting.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Then you would have to download two files instead of one and have to install them one after another when you want to start playing tmw. is that user friendly? no i doubt that this would be applicable.

having automatic and incremental updates (only changed files in the updates) is planned anyway.
  • NOT a game master

Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

Crush wrote:Then you would have to download two files instead of one and have to install them one after another when you want to start playing tmw. is that user friendly? no i doubt that this would be applicable.
As opposed to download a 20 M piece just to have a fix for a nasty graphic bug, Is that user friendly? No :wink:
Yes, I'm forcing my example. But only to get my point across. I guess I'm thinking from a linux user point of view, while you are doing from a windows user point of view.

I don't know if people find it useful to split packages, I do. But then again I'm a gentoo user and many other people may not agree with me.

I use splitted packages very often, althought they are not that frequent in games, and let me tell you how useful and user friendly they are :wink: I try to avoid big packages by the default and when some application has some update in the code while the rest is untouched is pretty nasty to have to download all the whole thing.

I can tell you that many linux user wouldn't find this annoying at all, since almost every distro has package management and installing tmw would pull any needed dependency automatically.

And windows users would have to download two things, which total weight would be the same as a single executable, and execute two exes. I don't think that is to much to ask for :roll:
Windows gamers are used to apply patches even for games they just bought and should work out-of-the-box, or installing runtime libraries (directx, mcf, squash,etc). And usually they are not any small.

Nothing new under the sun, really.
Lv.: Maggot
Please, read the FAQ before posting.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I think we will have separate packages for client, server, client data and server data: This allows different servers to have different data more easily. (I think we're aiming for this on long term.)
This message used to be meaningful.
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

Different packages for client and server seems a good idea...but I think we shouldn't package data and client itself separately.

Regards.