[REQ] Wolf Monster

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

pateame

Re: [REQ] Wolf Monster

Post by pateame »

Before start again with attack sequences and add your suggestions, I tryed to finish walking sequences. Here's how it looks now with back view and minor details added:
About transform this wolf shape into a fantasy-look monster, my imagination is quite short since I remember 'pokemon/digimon' creatures. (Long ears, long fangs, multiple tails, claws, spikes, wings...) I think everything is possible, but I need a clear concept idea of this REQ before start with mutations. Meanwhile, I will try to draw an idle/stand animation as a howling or just a random tail movement.
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

That looks really good. The front legs in the north-facing animation and the back legs in the south-facing one don't seem to be moving, however. Although you can't see the legs themselves, you should be able to see movement in the wolf's muscles.

What about giving it small antlers? Then it could drop Antler Hats at 0.01%.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Could anything like antlers be added as an accessory rather than directly on the sprite? That would be helpful for expanding the use of this monster.
Current character is "Abolish".
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Antlers on a wolf??
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Ginaria
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Ginaria »

Wombat wrote:Could anything like antlers be added as an accessory rather than directly on the sprite? That would be helpful for expanding the use of this monster.
Sounds like a dialog of Bill Murray in movie Scrooged about to staple a mouse with antlers:

Sorry, I got a problem.
- I bet. What? - This little fella.
I can't get the antlers glued onto this little guy.
- Try staples. - Staples?!
Don't you dare! If you staple that mouse, I'll call the Humane Society.

Crush wrote:Antlers on a wolf??

Wait until you see a genetic improved wolf with antenna :D
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Sorry to be annoying but the shading isn't good on the 3rd animation.

EDIT: the ears of the 1st and 3rd animations are weird...
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The whole shading needs to be redone. The back of the wolf needs to be bright, currently it is darker than the center. But it's easier to do that after finishing the animation.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
pateame

Post by pateame »

Some updates on this concept:
[+] Idle/stand animation sketch:
[+] Walking animation sketch:
- Fixes: Minor details (ears, outlines, some shading) and color pallete reduced for future dyable purposes.
Still need to fix the muscles movement on front and back view and fix tail movement on front view...
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

That is just awesome work.
Just for you to know, which I personally think is better for you but you can do as you want, try to focus on one mob at a time. Post your work and wait for comments, in the mean time work on another mob.

Again, great work!

Best regards,
Ali-G
pateame

Post by pateame »

Here's the current progress with attack sequences:
[+] Sketch:
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

It looks almost like its back feet are nailed in place. I think it should... sort of stagger forwards a little on its hind legs as it attacks before moving back to its original position.

Its tail looks a bit stiff, too; I think it should flick more as it lunges.
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

Pateame, your wolf is amazing!
It's already at least as well drawn as many of the graphics in the game. One can always dither with pixels, but it really looks good now too.
Of course, if you were to add some antlers and maybe some welly boots, it would be just perfect. :lol:
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
pateame

Post by pateame »

My old CRT monitor is having trouble displaying colors correctly, so I will try to avoid doing .GIFs and gather current progress in a .PNG spritesheet.
Here's a quick start to can continue testing animation bugs and needing delay values:

Spritesheet 92x64: (Just a usable sketch of current sprites, not finished yet)
XML file for testing:
monster-wolf.xml
!*@%+!, I need help understanding how mob_db.txt values can affect frames speed.
Animation ingame still doesn't look as examples proposed on .GIF previews. After some testing I used following values if someone want to fix them while testing:

Code: Select all

XXXX,	Wolf,		Wolf,		110,	8000,	0,	0,	800,	2,	275,	355,	20,	15,	30,	15,	30,	3,	60,	40,	1,	1,	1,	0,	29,	131,	380,	1000,	1000,	1150,	631,	1000,		0,	0,		0,	0,		0,	0,		0,	0,		0,	0,		0,	0,		0,	0,		0,	0,	0,	0,	,	,	,	,	,	,	0,		0
About accesories on monster, I prefer to skip that part and finish all needing frames first, but If someone want to add "X" mutation,
just open spritesheet on GIMP and draw your accesory over a new layer, I hope after draw 65 frames you also want to kill some wolves as I want now.
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

pateame wrote:M!*@%+!, I need help understanding how mob_db.txt values can affect frames speed.
Animation ingame still doesn't look as examples proposed on .GIF previews.
Ya that is exactly how I feel! I noticed that speed not only affects the move speed but also the frame rates for ALL mob actions!! I wish I knew the exact calculations used by the client to determine frame rates. This value seems to have the most overall impact on sprite animations. It would also be nice to know what else this value affects server side, such as if it has any effect on mob attack speeds.

I don't know much about Adelay, Amotion, and Dmotion. Usually I just play around with the numbers until it looks ok in game. Unfortunately this takes way too long and doesn't work well and becomes a mess when you need to add new frames to the attack, or want to play around with the existing delays in the xml. I would really like to see some good documentation with an exact calculation as to how these affect the visual (need info for this from client devs) as well as the actual damage rates (need server dev inputs).

If you or anyone else is interested in figuring this out please let me know. This has been bugging me for quite a while now.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »