[WIP] Centaur redraw

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

pateame

[WIP] Centaur redraw

Post by pateame »

Long time ago (2009!) I tryed to draw a centaur: .. But even when I received help and suggestions on development, I didn't have skills enough to improve my mistakes on graphics. Also all my old backup files get lost, so I would like to back to the start and don't waste my previous work.
I will try to update this concept to practice more, so please be rude with criticism!.
Old suggestions about side-view: wrote:* The behind feet (the left ones when facing right) should touch the ground higher up than front feet.
* Give more shape to the top of his body above the line: Shapes of the Pelvic and Shoulder bones.
* aren't we supposed to be working on a 45 degree angle?
* could put some muscle in it?
Based on old side-view suggestions, a new/old comparison:
- walk: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12510339/sketchs/w2.gif
- Attack: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12510339/sketchs/w3.gif
Last edited by pateame on 01 Jul 2011, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: [WIP] Centaur redraw

Post by Crush »

Nice to see that you try to do some shading, but unfortunately you are still doing what is called "pillow shading". Please google the term to find out why it is bad and how to do better shading.

But otherwise it's nice to see that you didn't gave up on the idea.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

The midsection is the only real offender
messingaround.png
messingaround.png (3.04 KiB) Viewed 5194 times
Pixel Battalion
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

I was trying to improve the shading as well, but Len beat me to it and, of course, his is infinitely better. This is where I'd got to, anyway:

I was also trying to redraw the legs and change a few other things, but I didn't finish it/haven't finished yet.

EDIT: Hmm, found this... might be helpful:

ChefChelios
Novice
Novice

Post by ChefChelios »

1/2 mouboo + 1/2 player = Centaur?
Attachments
centaur.png
centaur.png (6.23 KiB) Viewed 5140 times
...und lachend stellte der Tod seine Sense beiseite und stieg auf den Mähdrescher, denn es war Krieg.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

I like ChefChelios' idea best. Lets give the centaur a mouboo head, finish the spritesheet and thats it, we got our new mob: moubootaur :D
Dark_Mag
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dark_Mag »

Ali-G wrote:I like ChefChelios' idea best. Lets give the centaur a mouboo head, finish the spritesheet and thats it, we got our new mob: moubootaur :D
Ali-G,

And then we'll add moubootaury (female)?
/me laughts a lot

Cheers, dark
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Dark_Mag wrote:And then we'll add moubootaury (female)?
of course, why not? It could be called... Moubootaura?
Dark_Mag wrote:/me laughts a lot
pateame

Post by pateame »

Thanks Len, poison_ivy and chefchelios. I really appreciate the time you spend doing your examples.
I'm Using Len shading reference to proceed, a quick view of current progress:
EDIT: updated attack frames, some outlines and useless pixels...
New/old comparison wrote:Image
About "human+mouboo" sketch, I remember Fother J did something similar, but just like a parody. Even you can find Fother's .psd files on http://gitorious.org/tmwart/ . Please don't go offtopic, feel free to develop it if you want, just post a new [WIP] to don't get confused with this concept.
Image --> Fother J 'cesboo'
Last edited by pateame on 29 Jun 2011, 03:01, edited 1 time in total.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Ali-G wrote:I like ChefChelios' idea best. Lets give the centaur a mouboo head, finish the spritesheet and thats it, we got our new mob: moubootaur :D
That'd be a mouboo with "human" chest, a centaur should have human head.
The first idea was more creative IMO, it would actually add a new monster in game. :)

TMW Team member

Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

The muscle on the front back leg bulges a little too abruptly (Other than that looking good).
Pixel Battalion
yubabax116
Warrior
Warrior

Post by yubabax116 »

this looks nice, maybe you can make his weapon a bow and arrow? it would be like the sagittarius creature :P would be nice to have all the astrology creatures xD
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭ ♮ ❤Quiet And Enj0:00Y The  Music ❤ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭
Yubaba
Chicka-Maria
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
radiceta
Newly Registered User

Post by radiceta »

These Moubootaurs and Uni-mouboo-corns are realy lovely. It can lead to some sort of quest, you know - moubootaur, moubootaura... I realy like the idea. And also we can have shooting monster in game.
pateame

Post by pateame »

EDIT: Updated current progress with upper-body redraw. added first sketch of front/back view to fit with new body size.
Horns were removed to simplify redrawing process, but maybe we can put something different as antlers to get a "deerman". About weapon, it could be included as an accessory item independent from spritesheet, some polearms added as examples. Progress is quite slow, but let me know what is needed to fix to can proceed with redraw next time.
ImageImageImage
Last edited by pateame on 21 Jul 2011, 21:56, edited 2 times in total.
hal9000
Novice
Novice

Post by hal9000 »

pateame wrote:Updated current progress with upper-body redraw. added first sketch of front/back view to fit with new body size.
Horns were removed to simplify redrawing process, but maybe we can put something different as antlers to get a "deerman". About weapon, it could be included as an accessory item independent from spritesheet, some polearms added as examples. Progress is quite slow, but let me know what is needed to fix to can proceed with redraw next time.

Having this mob in-game would be just great Pateame..

about the walking animation..isn't the chest too flat? looking at the front view he looks more muscular..btw in general it looks good to me..

I also like the horns as they are :)

cy