[WIP] New Desert Tileset

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

[WIP] New Desert Tileset

Post by Alige »

I cleaned and updated the new desert tileset a lot. It is big but contains nearly everything we need, few things will be listed below. This tileset was made by arikel, Modanung, Ivanmorve and MerlinX420. Here is the topic where it started: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 35&start=0.

The Tulimshar maps need to be redone from the top so making a new tileset is needed still.

Here are some of my thoughts, observations and comments:
  • Add a shadow to everything.
  • Make all stone/rocks use the same colors palette.
  • Make all the wooden tiles use the same color palette.
  • Add the tictactoe tileset to that tileset but with updated floor.
  • Make the walls less yellow and use bigger stones (if possible).
  • Add variants to the windows.
  • Add variants to the walls floor.
  • Add variants to the walls (loopholes, windows, etc...).
  • Update the "trans_woodland-desert" tileset separatly.
  • Make different colors of the "shops".
  • Make all the walls be of the same height (entrance is 1 tile to high atm).
  • Make the footsteps stick out more.
  • Change the color of the monster skulltiles..
  • Review and remake the outlines of the fringe tiles.
  • Make tiles for larger towers.
  • Add good content (briges, trees) from the "mountain.png" tileset and adapt it to that tileset.
  • Add some sea&cliffs tiles (together, meaning the sea hits the cliff).
  • Add a dead palm tree.
  • Add 4.4 tiles of dry ground/sand, cracked.
  • Make all flags be nearly the same (stone&wooden parts).
  • Add flags against the city walls (blue)

Hope I helped,
Ali-G
Last edited by Alige on 12 Jan 2012, 18:20, edited 10 times in total.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Re: [WIP] New Desert Tileset

Post by Merlin »

You still have some of the old versions of the set. (attached are more recent ones) These tile-sets are meant to be an exact replacement that would cause very little remapping to be done.
IDK what happened but there are shadows on the tree and I think I seen an update somewhere where someone added a shadow to the smaller tree.

Yes the rocks/stone and the wood needs to be fixed into 1 palate and tic-tac-toe needs to be done.
Re-drawing the wall for bigger stones when not really necessary or even suggested before and would take to long and would just scrap the existing ones, however a color changed was discussed.

I was waiting on Len's newer cliffs before finishing my re-work of the dessert region. This is even put more on hold since Thermin is the focus atm.
I think we should focus our efforts there and then once that's done we can come back and finish this up.
Attachments
desert2.png
desert2.png (193.84 KiB) Viewed 8959 times
desert_x2.png
desert_x2.png (25.04 KiB) Viewed 8959 times
desert_x3.png
desert_x3.png (13.59 KiB) Viewed 8959 times
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

MerlinX420 wrote:IDK what happened but there are shadows on the tree and I think I seen an update somewhere where someone added a shadow to the smaller tree.
I tried to add it to my tileset however it uses too many tiles to be an improvement.

I am making a fully new tileset without ground under fringe tiles because I plan to redo all the Tulimshar area. The overlapping of the current tileset is a bad idea and that is why I'm making this new tileset.

Update.

EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Here is a new flag I drawed years ago:
flag.png
flag.png (1.18 KiB) Viewed 8943 times
There are a few "problems" with it though:
  • It's based on iru's woodtexture instead of the woodtexture used in Hurnscald
  • There is no logo painted on it, it's just a simple blue flag
  • It's not animated
  • No shadow
As for the marketstalls, I would like to point to:
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... lit=market

However I just noticed that the tileset itself is missing :?
So I will Just add it here then :P
market19.png
market19.png (18.05 KiB) Viewed 8943 times
This tileset is not finished, and again I based it on iru's woodtexture. One of the things I really hope will be added are rotated market stalls. Imo it's just weird that all market stalls are rotated horizontally.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Updated. This tileset can be reduced when it'll be finished. I made it bigger to sort and organise everything.

baseballboy
Knight
Knight

Post by baseballboy »

Hey Ali-G, I edited the tree and water to make it match the sand a bit more:
BaseBaIIBoy - 99, Zalika - 95, Mou. - 86, baseballboy - 83, Abacus - 82, Laticia - 76

<o11c> More boobs please.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

I updated this worksheet with the correct trees. I will post it when I do something more then just that but I did want to bring this to the attention to those of use concerned. This is a Dessert cliff set done by Arikel who I believe work(s)(ed) on TMW stuff if I'm not mistaken. However he released these as ONLY CC-BY-SA 3.0 and not cross licensed under GPL. I've also made a diverted work based on these however because of the license they will not be used for TMW.

http://opengameart.org/content/desert-cliffs-tileset

There was a mockup did by Len of his WOA desert tileset that matched the color scheme of this current WIP but he finished it as a WOA tileset and I was wondering if he ever did it in this style and simply tweaked it to his style.
http://opengameart.org/content/whispers ... rt-tileset
Attachments
desertTileset.png
desertTileset.png (66.76 KiB) Viewed 8906 times
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

I removed some things from the desert tileset and made a market tileset. This market tileset still needs few things only:
  • Decrease the color palettes.
  • Add a "danger sign" panel.
  • Add "directions" panel.
  • Add a barrel that matches the wooden palette.
desert-tileset:

market-tileset:

Ali-G
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

The colour of the city walls really needs to change. How does this look?
desert-tileset.png
desert-tileset.png (410.58 KiB) Viewed 8804 times
Len's cliffs would be vastly preferable to these, too:

Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Well.. I won't point problems in other tileset, there is to many, but only for 'your' tileset of the market I can say that :
- You didn't 'made' a tileset, you used a work from EJlol
- Why did you copy pasted 3 times the same group of tiles? Why do you need 3 colors for the top of these market? (At least, your market will got much colors than the whole city :p )
- What did you made to these poor wood barrier? O.O It uses only 2 colors now, and it's quiet ugly to be honnest.
- The shadow is ... Squary... and monochrome( speaking about monochrome, you can found some good one from Yves Klein if you wish some inspiration)
- You said that you stopped to put your noose everywhere and that you focused yourself in mapping, liar :3

IMO, you will need some months and months of works before to get something working, especialy if you continue in this way.

Enchilado : Please, do something ;_;

Edit : the colors doesn't match the style of your 'new' city, the whole city is very satured, and your market is dark and unsatured :)
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

@enchilado
I don't see the image I think you meant to link or you removed it. XD I don't know what color change you purpose. I do agree that they do need to be changed thou. I also think I would prefer Len's cliffs to the ones currently on the set. I like the sand we have and there was a version he was doing that was the same color. The dessert sand is actually from his first draft of a tile-set for WOA I believe. Then he went with a softer color to match WOA's style more.

@Ried
Thanks for bringing up some of the issues with the current graphics. (I didn't even think to look at the shadows that need to be done. Ejol sent the me the original market stall when I requested it from him when I first started this project. Yes the Wood fence was butchered and will need to be fixed or reverted.

@Ali-G
A.The 3x high tiles and 5xhight tiles (Like the trees and stone pillar) and even the 2x high tiles NEED to be on there own set. I srsly hope I don't have to explain WHY. >.>
B.We need to have the shadows on the trees. Sorry if it doesn't "FIT" on this monstrous tileset but they require there own set.
C.Maybe you ought to take Reid's advice and let us take care of the tilesets and concentrate on the mapping when it's done.

This whole idea was some stupid little project I undertook myself months ago and will not rush this work. I've been waiting for Len's cliffs to be done before I continued on it. I put it on hold because I was asked to focus on the Thermin tiles. I will finish this AFTER I finish the Thermin tiles. Quit trying to rush things. Quit trying to break standard practices for tilesets. 16x16 sets and multiple sets if need be. AFAIK ManaServ has a restriction to 16x16 tilesets (It might have changed idk) and as far as I'm concerned it is a rather efficient way to map. ( I don't like having to move around a tileset box to search for a tile when I can just select the right set and find it easily.) You should start off with a 16x16 set when you have enough to make one then branch off onto another.

All I'm saying is please let me handle the tileset construction and needs. I came back because I was told I was needed but don't want to put up with these demands and ridicules observations. Sorry if I seem "rude" but you should know I'm rather blunt and will not hold my tongue in check.
MerlinX420
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

MerlinX420 wrote:I don't see the image I think you meant to link or you removed it.
Should be fixed.
MerlinX420 wrote:You should start off with a 16x16 set when you have enough to make one then branch off onto another.
Are there any tilesets that have more than that anyway?
MerlinX420 wrote:All I'm saying is please let me handle the tileset construction and needs. I came back because I was told I was needed but don't want to put up with these demands and ridicules observations. Sorry if I seem "rude" but you should know I'm rather blunt and will not hold my tongue in check.
To be honest, I'm wary of accepting art from you; I can't know you drew it. Who told you that you were needed? And what do you mean by "demands and ridicules observations"?
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

You nailed the walls IMO. It's kinda what i thought. All the tileset in the game afaik are only 16x16 tiles.
I'm talking about how he wants things done overnight. He asked me to finish the thermin tiles by sunday... An unrealistic goal. He removed the shadows from the tree's becuse "they use to many tiles". Things of that nature.
Ali-G asked me to come back to help with the tilesets since things seemed to stagnate. Since anyone would be wary about accepting any art by me I've based all my works of existing TMW stuff. That's why I didn't even attempt to draw completely new stuff for the Thermin tiles. In fact I didn't want to even try and submit a single thing. Since I'm probably not needed then I'll let you guys continue and I'll keep my work to myself.
MerlinX420
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

MerlinX420 wrote:You nailed the walls IMO. It's kinda what i thought. All the tileset in the game afaik are only 16x16 tiles.
False, they are 32x32.
MerlinX420 wrote:I'm talking about how he wants things done overnight. He asked me to finish the thermin tiles by sunday...
Well it seems I was too enthiousiactic... Sorry about that. An unrealistic goal.
MerlinX420 wrote:He removed the shadows from the tree's becuse "they use to many tiles".
Entirely false, I didn't remove any shadows of the trees (palm trees) because they weren't any. Len added one and posted his modification on forum however I didn't take it since it takes 6 more tiles (without the tree in it).
MerlinX420 wrote:Ali-G asked me to come back to help with the tilesets since things seemed to stagnate. Since anyone would be wary about accepting any art by me I've based all my works of existing TMW stuff. That's why I didn't even attempt to draw completely new stuff for the Thermin tiles. In fact I didn't want to even try and submit a single thing.
The Thermin project is a great project and for us to achieve it, we need a brand new tileset. However we don't have any developer/pixel artist working on these except you currently. That is why I asked you to help us. I appreciate your help more than anything else.
MerlinX420 wrote:Since I'm probably not needed then I'll let you guys continue and I'll keep my work to myself.
If you do that, then Thermin will probably never get done since we don't have any active pixel artist like you currently. I would really like the Thermin Project to continue and for that to be done, we need you. Enchilado apparently isn't willing to add any of his work so I really doubt anyone can finish these tilesets but you.

If you look the comments about The Mana World on internet or Ubuntu software installer, you will see that one of the biggest problem of this big project is that we don't have enough new content. Now feel free to quit, it won't change a lot since, according to some players, the game isn't moving forward due to pixel art that isn't evolving.

Best regards,
Ali-G
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Ali-G wrote:
MerlinX420 wrote:You nailed the walls IMO. It's kinda what i thought. All the tileset in the game afaik are only 16x16 tiles.
False, they are 32x32.
Each tile is 32x32 pixels. Each tileset is 16x16 tiles, except for some that are smaller (in particular every extra-high tileset is smaller).

This was perfectly clear to me, try to do a bit more .

---
As for tilesets ... I can easily see MerlinX420 to be more knowledgeable than Ali-G ... but I am wary about Expel MerlinX420 from content development (link to Council (invisible) forum), particularly: "We already explained to him multiple times how serious we treat copyright, but he still doesn't stop to try to sneak stolen graphics into the game content.".

That being said:
Why is everyone so quick to take offense, instead of assuming good faith? Why does everyone find the most minute excuses to insult others? Why can't everyone just get along?
Former programmer for the TMWA server.