[DIS] Castle Walls

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: [DIS] Castle Walls

Post by i »

Ali-G wrote:@Irukard: Thank you for having a try to make the depth for the big, empty archway. That really helps.
Is it deep enough or you need deeper one? :P
Btw I still hate this one brick thin fence. It sucks.
Attachments
Archway Test.png
Archway Test.png (42.36 KiB) Viewed 6216 times
Empty Archway.png
Empty Archway.png (38.52 KiB) Viewed 6216 times
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

A lot deeper please. We need to see how thick the wall is.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Ali-G wrote:A lot deeper please. We need to see how thick the wall is.
Is that enough? It's thick as wall + front support
Attachments
Empty Archway.png
Empty Archway.png (38.82 KiB) Viewed 6202 times
pateame

Post by pateame »

i wrote:Btw I still hate this one brick thin fence. It sucks.
Agree with that. Some ideas to use that archway: we could reuse them as a stone bridge if we surround the castle with water.
Some references from google:
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

@Peteame: great idea... Well I don't have the ability to make them, I'm not even a pixel artist, maybe you could have a try. :)

@Irukard: Thanks a lot, looks great.

@Everyone: We still need to fix the grass that needs to be of the same height on every tile and we need to make all the wooden parts of these two tileset use the same color palette, that is really important. Here are the two last versions of the tilesets.

Image Image
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Nice to see that this tileset is making such a good progress and is getting close to being released, but has anyone planned a scenario we could use it for?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Crush wrote:Nice to see that this tileset is making such a good progress and is getting close to being released, but has anyone planned a scenario we could use it for?
I do but we currently have too much to do. My original intention was to motivate pixel artists in a random project. It seems I reached my goal.
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

Ali-G wrote:
Crush wrote:Nice to see that this tileset is making such a good progress and is getting close to being released, but has anyone planned a scenario we could use it for?
I do but we currently have too much to do. My original intention was to motivate pixel artists in a random project. It seems I reached my goal.
I think we will certainly find a use for it sooner or later. I wonder if it'd be possible to have an additional tileset with snow coverings for the walls and the ground that can be combined with the general castle tileset. If so, I'd like to use this for the Wizard Tower Scenario in Kazei (snow area). But based on the current storyline and release plans, it'd be located behind the barbarian village in the snow mountains, so I'd be very happy about some motivation for that project as well. :wink:
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

What I Just Did: Major update of castle-2.png tileset. Fixed the grass.

Fixes Needed: The wooden ground needs to differ a bit more from the wooden borders. The bench, wooden pots and doors need to be about the same color.

In The Futur: When we'll be done fixing the wooden parts, we'll be able to create peteame's idea and maybe create new fringe items such as giant crossbows to defend the castle from its walls.

i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

MerlinX420 wrote:Also the 2nd round wall it to make inverse turns. (Pic is an example of useage. The one on the right is the additional one and the one on the left is the original)
Those tiles already exist since Block Walls 0.0.7 (3 X 2010). Example:
othercurvedwallexample-already_exists.png
othercurvedwallexample-already_exists.png (113.11 KiB) Viewed 6136 times
Ali-G wrote:(...) new fringe items such as giant crossbows to defend the castle from its walls.
May we place them as NPC's or stationary enemy with long range atack? That would be fun- being killed by balista.

I did mention it on in-game chat - we should discuss using gunpowder propelled weapons in TMW realm. Also we can create secondary realm - with technology instead magic and alchemy. Sounds familiar? yep, FF6.
Yes. I got one scenario - Academy building in CR1 :P but I also need nice looking cliffs and integrate them into bottom of stone wall. It should seamlessly transfer from rocky cliff to stone wall.
I'm considering using Len's desert cliffs. Color palette is very close.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

For now, could we just focus on making the idea peateame had and also fixing the wooden parts? When these two things will be done, we'll be able to push the tileset. After that, we could make different versions with snow or desert parts.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

I can certainly see possibilities when I have time for tmwA-Adventures.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Updated the wood in castle-2.png

I think that we can now push these two tilesets: castle-1.png and castle-2.png. The banners are done. If we come up with other things, we can still put some in the castle-2.png tileset because there are 12 free tiles in that tileset. If we come up with larger things, more important tiles such as stone integrated into the cliff, T shaped walls, balistas, aqueduc tiles which means also stone stuck the deep water, snow on buildings, etc..., we can still make another tileset, that isn't a problem.

Last edited by Alige on 23 Oct 2011, 09:30, edited 1 time in total.
Unwelcome
Newly Registered User

Post by Unwelcome »

there is so much awesome content in this thread it's mind-blowing. wish I was a quarter as good as you guys
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Unwelcome wrote:there is so much awesome content in this thread it's mind-blowing. wish I was a quarter as good as you guys
Read tutorials and practice.

EDIT:

To avoid double posting. Here is rough concept of Arch Bridge. Is shape good enough?
ArchBridge-shape-desing.png
ArchBridge-shape-desing.png (25.54 KiB) Viewed 6064 times
EDIT:
As Ali-G wanted - the bridge will be made of the same material as block walls. Will be fully compatible with existing tileset. And of course will be usable above land and water. Blue pylons are detachable and separate unit.
ArchBridge-better-preview.png
ArchBridge-better-preview.png (57.8 KiB) Viewed 6058 times