[DIS] Castle Walls

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: [DIS] Castle Walls

Post by Alige »

The bridge start is great! Keep it up but if you want to take Ivan Moore's floor, please finish its entire tileset too, it won't take too long for you I think. On my side, I updated a bit the two tilesets. These are the final versions until we get other tiles to fill in the last empty tiles of the castle-2.png tileset.

Image Image
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Ali-G wrote:The bridge start is great! Keep it up but if you want to take Ivan Moore's floor, please finish its entire tileset too, it won't take too long for you I think. On my side, I updated a bit the two tilesets. These are the final versions until we get other tiles to fill in the last empty tiles of the castle-2.png tileset.
Finishing Ivan's work may be tricky in some parts. Anyway I will try ask him for help or finishing it on my own. According "final" versions. I've compared yours "improved" version with my old-and-ugly one. You've changed only one thing - IMO for worse, because I lost possibility of making upper floor with decent long roof. Who needs roof is no one could stand there because there is no floor. I suggest reverting changes, but as I said previously - it's GPL, do whatever you need to do. Here is proof of my concept:
map.png
map.png (184.11 KiB) Viewed 9677 times
Green color may be replaced with any tile. Green is on bottom. Castle tiles are on fringe (when needed) and top in transparent roof parts.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

That is just because you didn't explore castle-2.png tileset... Moreover, when you try to make a roof where you can actually walk, please use the wall borders from castle-2.png, top right corner (see the red).
Attachments
map.png
map.png (207.96 KiB) Viewed 9644 times
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Ali-G wrote:That is just because you didn't explore castle-2.png tileset... Moreover, when you try to make a roof where you can actually walk, please use the wall borders from castle-2.png, top right corner (see the red).
LOL. So basically you've just moved 2 tiles from one tileset to another. I can't even imagine reason why, especially that those two tiles IMO are useless.
Acording wall borders - Castle is made of stone because of it's purpose. It's not decorational, it's defensive. Because of this, almost every castle has tall wall borders to protect defenders from enemy's arrows. My idea was to use 4 brick tall border. It's ~45px - assuming that height of person is aprox. two tiles - 64px - that kind of wall serves it's purpose. When we use proposed 2 brick wall border using tiles like in example is ridiculous.
fortification.png
fortification.png (21.8 KiB) Viewed 9629 times
fortification2.png
fortification2.png (40.97 KiB) Viewed 9629 times
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Interverted back the 2 tiles of the tower. Back as before.

Image Image
Jetryl
Novice
Novice

Post by Jetryl »

You're using white outlines on some of the brick corners facing towards us, and it looks very good.

You should extend this treatment to the archway's bricks - it'd really help them. Specifically the ones that stick out from the wall, and form the arch around the doors and gateways.

I haven't followed this thread, so apologies if that's been suggested/planned.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

For CR-1 there's a REALLY nice grass tileset done by Ivan. Let me see if I can find it somewhere....

I started to edit them to fit in with the block wall set but the cliffs I wanted to use are based off a CC-BY work done by arikel who I think use to do stuff for tmw but only released these under a CC-BY license. :( Cliffs shown as example and not intended for use. I kinda don't know what to do with them since they are a bastard work based off a GPL grass and a CC-BY cliff. I'll leave a comment of the posting on OpenGame Art and maybe he'll read it and decide to cross license them.
Attachments
cr1-ground-example.png
cr1-ground-example.png (170.17 KiB) Viewed 9556 times
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Oh nice MerlinX420! However these tiles look like short grass thus I don't think we need cobinned walls and grass together.

Regards.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Forgot the link to the Openart.org page with the set:

http://opengameart.org/content/desert-cliffs-tileset
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Jetryl wrote:You're using white outlines on some of the brick corners facing towards us, and it looks very good.

You should extend this treatment to the archway's bricks - it'd really help them. Specifically the ones that stick out from the wall, and form the arch around the doors and gateways.

YAY! Long time no seen. By "you're" I suppose you mean me. And this is first reasonable critics since very long time. I will think about highlights on outer archway bricks. However I'm currently working on huge archway bridge.

BTW Jetryl - We miss you. By "we" I mean "At least I" :)
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Jetryl wrote:You're using white outlines on some of the brick corners facing towards us, and it looks very good.

OMG "he" posted! <3 (even though tmw organisation still sucks, but i guess that does not matter for art :) )
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Matt wrote:OMG "he" posted! <3 (even though tmw organisation still sucks, but i guess that does not matter for art :) )
So called "Art" will defend itself! :D Viva revolution!! Long live the King! etc... etc... and etc...

BTW Jetryl you are always welcome here.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Updated the castle-outdoor-2.png tileset.

i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Ali-G wrote:Updated the castle-outdoor-2.png tileset.
You updated this set many times, and version marker is still the same. strange. :P

EDIT:
Almost forgot. I little update on arch bridge (I added it to WIP section on trello as well)
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

BTW, thanks Ali for resurrecting Iru :P