[Beanie copter cap]

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Ablu
Manasource
Manasource

Re: [Beanie copter cap]

Post by Ablu »

By logic it would be delay="1" so why should i do something different there?
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Ablu wrote:By logic it would be delay="1" so why should i do something different there?
By logic you don't place a 1ms animation frame... Nobody can see it!
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Ablu
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Ablu »

If i do not place it and the client decides to play exactly this one ms either the offset or the animation would be wrong. Well it would be possible to put this 1 ms into the upper frame since nobody would realize the 1ms longer animation if the client plays the frame (and does not skip it due to the 5ms thing). However thinking about all kind of this stuff does not sound very nice to me. I would rather have a logical and more correct file than having some delays nobody understands.

Regards
Ablu
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

Since all this XML stuff is going right over my head now i retouched the icon and fixed the colours so that they match the colours of the cap.
Attachments
beaniecopter-icon_fixed_colour.png
beaniecopter-icon_fixed_colour.png (777 Bytes) Viewed 4126 times
Characters: veryape / Captain Dunce / Elvara / veryapeGM
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

I've been thinking about the animation and the problem as far as i understood is that there is 4 frames that has to be matched to the charachter-sets 6 frames.

Cant it be solved by just taking the 4 frames * 3 so that we have 12 frames. Since 12/2=6 it should be able to fit the frames from the player animation, or am i doing some kind of logical fault thinking like this?

Code: Select all

| 1 | 1 | 1 | 2 | 2 | 2 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 4 | 4 | 4 | hat animation
|   1   |   2   |   3   |   4   |   5   |   6   | charachter animation
I have been trying to look at the XML but so far i have not understood it fully to be honest, but I came up with this idea when reading it and the comments about the too short frames.
Ablu
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Ablu »

I will give you my table i used for help. I am just at school so i do not have it here.
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

Hi!

I've been trying to make an XML of my own but soon ran into problems, as far as I understand the main problem is that the walking-sprite is 6 frames x 75ms, the bow-shooting sprite is 5 frames x 75 ms, and the fighting with sword sprite is 4 frames x 75 ms.

So.. I looked at the candle helmet, what they did was simply skip a few frames for the other stuff than walking/sitting. that works just fine for that helmet. No one will think about how the flame flickers..

I started to calculate on somehow to keep the twirl of the copter consisten, but after a lot of maths and a lot of failings i resorted into thinking: what says that the copter should be at a constant speed?

So, i basically made the 4 frames match the frames of of the other sprites, so it is fastest when fighting, a little bit slower when shooting a bow and even slower when walking about.

However, i did not get it to work by replacing another hat with it in my own local data, I do not know if it is because the xml is faulty or because i made some other silly mistake..

However, here are the files I have been playing around with.

I did replace the axehat in game with it, the icon looks fine, but when equipping it it seems like i have no headgear at all... sine alignement might be out of place by a mile I guess.
Attachments
beaniecoptercapicon.png
beaniecoptercapicon.png (777 Bytes) Viewed 4062 times
beaniecoptercap.png
beaniecoptercap.png (5.92 KiB) Viewed 4062 times
beaniecoptercap.xml
(10.58 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

veryape wrote:I did replace the axehat in game with it, the icon looks fine, but when equipping it it seems like i have no headgear at all... sine alignement might be out of place by a mile I guess.
I had a look at the xml file, there is an closing tag missing for action "stand", animation "right" (line 64).
When sitting or being dead the hat floats in the air.
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

Turned out the xml was broken and that I made a silly mistake, bingo!

Thanks jenalaya!

I'll try and tweak it so that the animation looks fine now.

---EDIT---
Now I have tested it, findings are:

I found out that the color on the copter itself should be recoloured darker. Right now it blends right into the grey roads, as the one in Hurnscald. I also plan to adjust the different colour-fields on the cap so that the side panels bevomes bigger and the front (maybe) and back (definately) becomes smaller. Furthermore I plan to make it a few pixels smaller. Right now it looks like an english police-hat with a new colourscheme and a copter right now imo and that was not what i planned.

Testing it in the enviroment it will be used has surely opened my eyes for a few problems. The good news is that it will look better as a finished item. The bad news is that it will take some more time that I thought.

So instead of being 90% done it is maybe 70% done.
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

Now I have finished the XML, and to my eye everything works just fine.
I have also reworked the sprite slightly, the copter is now darker and i made the transition between fields smoother, i also made the side fields bigger, they somehow looked like flaps more than fields for me as they were.

So I guess this is a release candidate now.
Attachments
beaniecoptercap.ico.png
beaniecoptercap.ico.png (777 Bytes) Viewed 4017 times
beaniecoptercap.xml
(13.72 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
beaniecoptercap.png
beaniecoptercap.png (6.2 KiB) Viewed 4017 times
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

veryape wrote:So I guess this is a release candidate now.
I tested locally and agree that the animation looks good now, so I added it to the testserver.
You can talk to Milly to test the quest, and use @item 890 to get the cap.
v0id
Novice
Novice

Post by v0id »

The icon has some dithering, and its colors are more saturated than on the sprite. It would be nice to make both things consistent -- I like the saturated colors on the icon; that better suits a toy in my opinion.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

v0id wrote:The icon has some dithering, and its colors are more saturated than on the sprite. It would be nice to make both things consistent -- I like the saturated colors on the icon; that better suits a toy in my opinion.
+1 bright colors make something more fun such as the beanie copter....

edit: maybe base the colors off the saturated colors Milla used on trello :)

regards,
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

@V0id
Yeah, The icon and the sprite has different saturation, however if a fix of that is needed I'd rather use the dull colours for the icon than doing it the other way around.

My reasons for choosing the more dull colour-scheme for the cap is that it is already "loud enough" as it is, I do not want it to become too much of a magnet for your eyes. Since it already has a animation I think that it already has quite a lot going on and already is quite busy.

However I could make the colours match the icon and post a few screenshots/release a mkII so that people can test it out for themselves and compare the two. However I guess this will take a few days since I will not be home in the comming days and will only carry my laptop with me.

If anyone wants to make that job themselves please feel free to do so. I'm attaching the gimp-project file here so that the changes can easily be applied.
Attachments

[The extension xcf has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

Ok, now i've gotten aroudn to fixing the icon to the less saturated version of the hat. So now the image matches the hat sprite.

This is my favoured solution since I am no fan of the more saturated graphics. And i wonät be able to fix the more saturated version in some time since I am away from home.
Attachments
beaniecopter.ico.png
beaniecopter.ico.png (1.05 KiB) Viewed 3893 times