[WIP] Green Lizard (MOB)

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Lizandra
Warrior
Warrior

[WIP] Green Lizard (MOB)

Post by Lizandra »

So pateame started to work on this mob, and I think it should have it's own thread. I'm also posting the following posts in here...
pateame wrote:I like your effort on this work, it looks great so far. I was looking for a lizard on TMW to fit your item with some kind of storyline or monster drop.
There's a lizard added on current mob database , but it doesn't have any fins like your concept have.
I was thinking about do a new lizard, or add a fin to the current lizard (over his/her head?).
I tryed to understand how you did that awesome work, and here's a concept of a possible monster:
Image (GIF preview doesn't keep your transparent fins, so it's just a preview with white background mixed)
You could develop it easier, you know how to create that nice texture with your pallete after all, I'm just ctrl+c/ctrl+v your work.. sorry for offtopic. ;-)
Lizandra wrote:=))))))DDDD ty so much for creating a mob based on my work!

Well, I actually haven't post my idea anywhere, so here it goes: my idea was to revive AxlTrozz's temple (the one with the snake on the wall) http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?t=2244, and make it the realm of the evil Lizard Queen. I imagine that realm inside a huge cave ("Reptilia"), with lots of torches and reptiles all around, maybe some traps as well. I imagine that queen to have a pet, the snake lord or something, that guards the entrance of her chamber.

So your lizard, and other monsters with scales would be most welcome for that project =) For the transparent fins I used the pencil tool on GIMP with 30% opacity. For the scales, I followed this pattern:

(more or less :mrgreen: ) - tip: the scales usually grow in one direction, normally from the head to the tail
Kandiman wrote:
Lizandra wrote:=))))))DDDD ty so much for creating a mob based on my work!

Well, I actually haven't post my idea anywhere, so here it goes: my idea was to revive AxlTrozz's temple (the one with the snake on the wall) http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?t=2244, and make it the realm of the evil Lizard Queen. I imagine that realm inside a huge cave ("Reptilia"), with lots of torches and reptiles all around, maybe some traps as well. I imagine that queen to have a pet, the snake lord or something, that guards the entrance of her chamber.

So your lizard, and other monsters with scales would be most welcome for that project =)
I absolutely LOVE this idea. It would help to tie some of the story together too, as the temple is referred to in one of the tales Khafr tells. My mind is already sprouting some base concepts for quests that could fit. :D :twisted:
Lizandra wrote:And I think it would perfectly fit, if the temple was inside a cave:

pateame, I worked a little bit on your lizard texture and also with the fin (btw, the opacity for the blue part is 40% and for the red part is 45%...also note that, as the fin is translucent, the other part of the lizard is still visible), anyway here is what I came up with, maybe it is a good basis for your work :wink:
Attachments
liz-sketch_scalestexture.png
liz-sketch_scalestexture.png (1.7 KiB) Viewed 6920 times

"Perspective is everything"

Level 76!

pateame

Re: [WIP] Green Lizard (MOB)

Post by pateame »

Here's a quick sketch for monster spritesheet, still learning about your pixelart.
Lizandra
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Lizandra »

What can I say? brilliant =) keep on with your awesome work, mhm, a great thing to do was to "fold" the fin when the lizard walks...like this:

Another thing.... it's maybe better if the tail swings from one side to another instead of up and down... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zQucD-T ... re=related, anyway...suggestion...

pateame: I sent you a pm :wink:

edit: my animations suck, i don't even know how to make the transparent background work with the successive frames....
Attachments
liz-sketch.gif
liz-sketch.gif (2.18 KiB) Viewed 6828 times
liz-sketch_fin.png
liz-sketch_fin.png (1.78 KiB) Viewed 6900 times
Last edited by Lizandra on 07 Nov 2011, 00:40, edited 1 time in total.

Level 76!

pateame

Post by pateame »

Just a quick idea of walking animation, trying to keep it simple:
ImageImage
Lizandra
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Lizandra »

sorry to bother you pateame, but its walking style resembles a mammal, reptiles have a rather different way of locomotion, let me see if i can find you a picture:

maybe this helps:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bURrNtC9Tp4

sorry to be so picky, but i'm a biologist :oops:
Last edited by Lizandra on 06 Nov 2011, 21:31, edited 3 times in total.

Level 76!

i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Lizandra wrote:sorry to be so picky, but i'm a biologist :oops:
You are the expert then.
pateame

Post by pateame »

Here's the needed files to do some testing and see it working better (GIF sucks again):

Spritesheet: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12510339/tmw/2011/finzard.png
[+] XML file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12510339/tmw/2011/finzard.xml
[+] mob_db animation values: Speed=133, Adelay=500, Amotion=1100, Dmotion=672 (same as grass snake)
[+] Preview: Image
(GIf format fails again supporting translucent colors, but concept is there).

It sure need some quality control on it and lot of fixes, but is fun to test it first :lol: .
PS. I used 'finzard' name (fin+lizard) just like a placeholder for testing
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

In my opinion the side walk animation looks just awful. Unfortunately there is no useful advice I can give on how to do it better - animation was never my strong side.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Great job peteame, however I got some thoughts about it, things that can be adjusted and get fixed.

First of all, I think it would be better to have the legs more spread appart when on the death frame, front and rear views only, side views look good.

Secondly, I would like to see, on the fin part, the dark green used should be more regular on each part of the fin, at the moment, we can see parts where there is more than others.

Keep it up, imho it is nearly finished!
Ali-G
yubabax116
Warrior
Warrior

Post by yubabax116 »

Crush wrote:In my opinion the side walk animation looks just awful. Unfortunately there is no useful advice I can give on how to do it better - animation was never my strong side.
Ill have to agree with this, The link lizandra posted is usually how a lizard is supose to walk, the animation you have right now is for a rabbit.

here is an example of what i think should be done..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDenEMxsMB0

Other then the walking i love it :)

Yubaba
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭ ♮ ❤Quiet And Enj0:00Y The  Music ❤ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭
Yubaba
Chicka-Maria
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
pateame

Post by pateame »

Thanks for feedback, I'm learning lots of new stuff from your suggestions.
I did some minor fixes on spritesheet and example files posted above (files updated).
This concept was made too fast as to check it pixel by pixel, and still cann't fix the walking animation,
but started working with a clay model to can get visual reference from a reptile locomotion
ImageImage (¡Wrong!)
I think that main problem is on the head, it should go from left to right, but on pixel version it looks like going up and down.
I will need to check my imagination twice next time... maybe on weekend I will have more time to zoom on it.
Lizandra
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Lizandra »

Pateame, your clay animation looks very nice ;)

Level 76!

pateame

Post by pateame »

*BUMP*
I'm trying to do what is missing here. Walking on side views modifyed, spritesheet updated and XML with offset and delay values for animations fixed.

[+] Spritesheet: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/364 ... inzard.png
[+] XML file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/364 ... inzard.xml
[+] Preview: