Perspective by paper: making a box by the diamond method

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Perspective by paper: making a box by the diamond method

Post by o11c »

This was originally a PM to Lizandra, but the forum is being retarded and not allowing image or archive attachments to PMs, and besides it might be useful to others.

In the attachment, superthick green is what becomes the bottom of the box; thin green is what becomes the top of the box. Black marks the outline, red marks all internal cuts; shades of gray (possibly hidden by red or green) mark folds.
  1. Begin with a square piece of paper (thin black outline). Until you're used to it, it's best to use at least 5 inches by 5 inches.
  2. Fold and unfold the two diagonals (thin dark gray) so you get the center.
  3. Fold opposite corners to the center (thick dark gray; this will become the top edge of the box), then fold them again into the center (thick light gray, which by this time is also the thin light gray). Unfold, then repeat with the other pair of corners.
  4. Cut out the middle triangles for each side (thin red) and cut in the flaps (thick red).
  5. Refold the corners with flaps to the center, then bend them into 3D. Finally, fold the corners without flaps over the flaps to lock it.
  6. The result is a box that holds its shape, even if you were sloppy in making it. There are two layers of paper at every point (except 3 where the flaps are).
To make a lid for your box, just follow the same instructions with a slightly different size (if memory serves, about half an inch is good, and allows for a bit of sloppiness).

When doing perspective, it's probably best if the box is distant from you. And, you'll want to make sure that all the corners are square. So, you should probably not be sloppy on the one you actually use.

If I'd thought of showing you this via hangout, I probably would have used the 451 joke ...
Attachments
irukard could probably draw this much better using vector graphics, but this should get the point across.
irukard could probably draw this much better using vector graphics, but this should get the point across.
box.png (4.39 KiB) Viewed 1128 times
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Perspective by paper: making a box by the diamond method

Post by i »

o11c wrote:irukard could probably draw this much better using vector graphics, but this should get the point across.
Funny thing. I never thought about using origami as perspective reference XD